Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 14 Aug 16, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Infinity Red
Imagineer

Uni student- easy fave recipes needed

I consider myself to be a good mum, but I'm not a good cook, as a result my dd who is hopefully going Uni next month can't cook either
My meals are legendary but not in a good way ! Think Wendy Craig in Butterflies !
I'm panicking now that my dd is going to starve and waste away
So any kind dibbers who have children at Uni what are their fave recipes, thinking lasagne for example, but need it made simply with short cuts but still tasty, I know Dd won't spend valuable time peeling and chopping !
So basically I'm asking for tasty short cut ideas n recipes that are student friendly
Thanks for any tips.
Old 14 Aug 16, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

My sister makes a great 'red pasta' just cook up some pasta, and heat up/cook some chicken (thing small chunks of chicken) then once it's all cooked and hot stir through a teaspoon of red pesto and a large spoon of creme fraiche and its ready to eat
stir fry made with the little packs of veg you can get, use the Amoy straight to wok noodles and that's easy.
Curry using sauce from a jar (makes enough for 3/4 so a good meal to cook with her flat mates)
Spag Bol again use a jar of dolmio (add some extra seasoning to taste and you have a mighty good spag Bol that freezes well too)
shepards/cottage pie you can use a colmans packet to make.
I sometimes use a packet of supernoodles and add in a little frozen veg, and the chicken nuggets (not particularly healthy but easy non the less)
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 16, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Why don't you buy her a Mary Berry book, and spend some time trying out recipes before she goes? Sounds like it might benefit you as much as your daughter If she learns to live off packets, jars and ready meals now, she will probably never learn to actually cook - most of my friends never did.
Old 14 Aug 16, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
missy E
Imagineer

missy E's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
Quick pasta & sauce
  • 2-3 handfuls of Fusilli
  • Boil to required consistency
  • Drain water
  • Add Dolmio stir in sauce
  • Put pan back on low heat & stir for a couple of minutes until food is hot
  • Add anything to the mix if required, cooked chicken, tuna, peas etc. or just have plain.
  • Alternatively after doing the above pop in an oven proof dish & sprinkle with cheese & cook for about 10 - 15 mins or until cheese is melted

A quick and very cheap meal.
One stir in sauce says its for 2 people but we found it was better using one each.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=dolmio+stir+in&newSort=true &search=Search

Edited at 12:48 PM.
missy E is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 16, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

We are the same with DS, teaching him to cook and shop !

He loves pies so this is works for him

Pack of ready cooked chicken ( either a single breast or chopped chunks)
Can of Campbell's condensed chicken soup
Half a pot of single cream or elmea.

Mix the above all together, put in Pyrex dish and cover with a sheet of ready rolled puff pastry.

Brush with beaten egg or milk, 20 minutes or so at 200 or 220 until Golden and nom nom, delicious chicken pie .

Serve with microwavable frozen mash (single packs fab for students).

Good luck to your DD x
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 16, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
KellyWellyWoo
Imagineer

KellyWellyWoo's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 3
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Mobile

I would get her a slow cooker- there are a multitude of recipes and she can whack it in and leave it.
KellyWellyWoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 16, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
jellie
Apprentice Imagineer

I've just bought DD a book from Amazon called "nosh", very easy student recipes and tells them about storing food, cost of ingredients and even gives the measurements in "mug" quantities.

Daytona Beach 1991, Loma Linda 1992, Westridge 1993, Buenaventura Lakes 1994, Loma Vista 1997, Sandy Ridge 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2014,2016,2017
jellie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 16, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Bear-family
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Infinity Red View Post
I consider myself to be a good mum, but I'm not a good cook, as a result my dd who is hopefully going Uni next month can't cook either
My meals are legendary but not in a good way ! Think Wendy Craig in Butterflies !
I'm panicking now that my dd is going to starve and waste away
So any kind dibbers who have children at Uni what are their fave recipes, thinking lasagne for example, but need it made simply with short cuts but still tasty, I know Dd won't spend valuable time peeling and chopping !
So basically I'm asking for tasty short cut ideas n recipes that are student friendly
Thanks for any tips.
When I was at uni many moons ago, my favourite and cheapest dish was chicken and tomatoe pasta. One chicken breast cut up and pan fried, a small tin of sweet corn and chopped tomatoes and cooked pasta. Mic it all together and heat through. I used to put half in a tub and eat it cold for lunch the next day.
Bear-family is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 16, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
CazP
Imagineer

Did is about to start year 2
She cooks fajitas a lot, one pan for chicken, peppers and onions and chuck in tortillas. Enchiladas are quite easy too
She also cooked things like salmon and gammon . She'd only ever done toast and stuff at home so she's surprised me!
WDW Oct 1991 HoJo DLP June 2001 Cheyenne DLP Santa Fe Feb 2003 DLP Santa Fe Oct 2008 WDW Xmas 2008 CBR DLP Santa Fe Oct 2010 DLP Santa Fe Oct 2012 Ramada Int. Drive Aug 2013 DLP Cheyenne Oct 2014 IDrive & OKW July/August 2016 Oct 2016 Cheyenne DLP Aug 2017 Fairfield Inn July 2018 Newport Bay
CazP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 16, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

Originally Posted by KellyWellyWoo View Post
I would get her a slow cooker- there are a multitude of recipes and she can whack it in and leave it.
Just what I would say. Pulled pork pop in a pork fillet and bbq sauce leave on low then shred with jacket pots or rolls. I do stew lasagne gammon in coke shepards pie in mine. You can do a breakfast in th but not tried or puddings.get a cheap slow cooker cook book. The beauty of them really cheap cuts of meat taste great as they are cooked long and slow.