Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 May 17, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
timwalker
Proud to wear my Ears

Don't write off the quality of Howdens kitchens.
We have recently had ours done and Howdens were really good. They came and measured and then we spent a lot of time in their office planning the design.
We ended up at around £10k for 20 units, sink and worktops.
Always get your appliances online, not from your kitchen supplier as this saves VAT. We got all ours from AO after a load of shopping around.
We had a local tradesman who we know for his quality of work fit everything, he also did all electrical work and plastering. He charged approx £3.5k.
We had the Shaker Oak from Howdens which is a very classy cabinet.
Hope this helps.
Old 20 May 17, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
jellie
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi, we got our kitchen units from wren, cost about £4,000 for about 20 units, work tops and splash back (instead of tiles). We've had howdens, wickes and ikea kitchens previously and we're really pleased with the quality. The carcasses are ready made so saves times when being fitted.

Daytona Beach 1991, Loma Linda 1992, Westridge 1993, Buenaventura Lakes 1994, Loma Vista 1997, Sandy Ridge 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2014,2016,2017
jellie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 17, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Worgie
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

We had ours done a couple of years ago which is a similar layout to yours. We used a carpenter and units from Howdens & paid £11k including a new cooker. This included him building a completely bespoke set of cupboards to fit in an area which covered the cupboard under the stairs to incorporate and utilise the space there. Basically it's a run of tall larder cabinets which open and then a further metal set of racks pull out from under the stairs to house all our kitchen tat we rarely use.
We were impressed with a Howdens and the quality.
Old 20 May 17, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
Integrated fridge freezer
Tall unit with built in microwave
Two base unit cupboards
Larger 'magic' corner cupboard
2 x tiny cupboards at the side of the sink
Cupboard under the sink
Large corner cupboard (significantly cheaper than the magic one)
Integrated dishwasher
Integrated washer
Large drawers
4 wall units
Plus an extra one that houses the extractor.
Plus solid oak worktop.
I'll post a pic and then you can see. I was going to wait until it's finished as we still need to do the tiling and the lights but I'll let you have a sneak peek! 😉😊

Hope this helps 👍

Edited to add: the actual cost of the kitchen was only £6700
Plus we paid £850 for the range.
The rest of the money has gone on all the fitting costs plus prepping of the room. If you know someone who can help then costs are reduce significantly.
It's lovely ! Thank you for letting me have a look 😄
You've been most helpful.
We will also be getting a new range as I couldn't live without mine . The fitting and electrical costs are so expensive but the ease of getting it done all from one place appealed to us.
Glad to hear you have been having a good experience with them
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 17, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
mackem
Apprentice Imagineer

We have just been through the nightmare process of shopping for a new kitchen and after many designs and quotes from lots of different kitchen places we settled on Wren as they were the only ones who actually listened to what I wanted and designed the kitchen to suit what I wanted rather than what they thought I should have. They were very professional and when the initial quote (which included granite worktops) came in at way over budget they helped me compromise on different styles and worktops etc and I have now just booked to have my kitchen done with them for £8190 including fitting and I can't wait as I am over the moon with what they have designed for me.

I am getting what I want for a price I want and so far the service from Wren has been excellent.
Old 20 May 17, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We bought our kitchen from Wickes, it is solid wood with 18mm carcase. All in all including Neff appliances ,solid wood worktops and the tiling etc we spent £12500 about 18 months ago. We had a joiner DH knew to fit it. Very pleased with it so far.
Someone said you can't see the carcases but really this is the most important part of the kitchen. The quality of the carcase will determine how long the kitchen will last. It needs to take the weight of worktops,appliances, the doors and in a few years time if the carcase warps due to the weight it won't matter how nice your doors or handles are.
That was 12 months of my life I will never get back, I was washing up in the garden for months but it is worth it now !
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 17, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

I'm just pleased to see our slate grey and white 1981 kitchen is now back in fashion.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 17, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

I think Howdens supply units for wren as some of our base units had a Howdens sticker on but I'm sure you have to be in a trade to buy from there? I might be wrong so forgive me if I am.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 17, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Lindy15
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by timwalker View Post
Don't write off the quality of Howdens kitchens.
We have recently had ours done and Howdens were really good. They came and measured and then we spent a lot of time in their office planning the design.
We ended up at around £10k for 20 units, sink and worktops.
Always get your appliances online, not from your kitchen supplier as this saves VAT. We got all ours from AO after a load of shopping around.
We had a local tradesman who we know for his quality of work fit everything, he also did all electrical work and plastering. He charged approx £3.5k.
We had the Shaker Oak from Howdens which is a very classy cabinet.
Hope this helps.
Great advice thank you, and never thought about looking online for appliances. I've just requested howdens brochure. We had one previously from howdens and to be honest the kitchen was great quality, it was the back up customer service that was rotton but I think that was the branch we used, and would use a different branch. The shaker kitchens look just as good as what I've been looking at!
Lindy15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 17, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Lindy15
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
We bought our kitchen from Wickes, it is solid wood with 18mm carcase. All in all including Neff appliances ,solid wood worktops and the tiling etc we spent £12500 about 18 months ago. We had a joiner DH knew to fit it. Very pleased with it so far.
Someone said you can't see the carcases but really this is the most important part of the kitchen. The quality of the carcase will determine how long the kitchen will last. It needs to take the weight of worktops,appliances, the doors and in a few years time if the carcase warps due to the weight it won't matter how nice your doors or handles are.
That was 12 months of my life I will never get back, I was washing up in the garden for months but it is worth it now !
Sounds a much better price, I'm feeling much better now that I'm sure they'll be a good quality kitchen at a more reasonable price. Let the research begin!
Lindy15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List