Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 19 Feb 18, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

the good, the bad and the tacky,Benidorm 18. Day 3. When in Benidorm, hire scooters and go out out.

Wednesday 14th February.

Woke at 8.30 again, we dont celebrate Valentines, just a commercial holiday IMO so we had no cards or presents to give. In fact this would be our first meal out on Valentines.
Breakfast was at 9.30 ish, and I had similar to yesterday.

I dont know why I chose the brown bread, it looked nice but the butter wouldn't spread and it was dry. I have to admit, I was feeling a little fragile this morning. I spied help yourself cava, but didn't feel like having one.

The hot chocolate perked me up.

We then went to reception as we wanted to book scooters and ask about going to the Indian restaurant at their sister hotel, the Sandos Benidorm Suites. You can have a meal there as part as the all inclusive package. The lovely man from reception said he would book us in but he would recommend staying as it was a Valentines gala, so after all our lovely food so far it was an easy decision to stay put.
He called the shop about the scooters, and informed us he would be ready at 11.30 so we went back to the room for an hour.
They are kept at the hotel, where the deliveries are taken but a person from the shop nearby comes with the keys. He was a lovely guy, he did have to run back to swap one of the scooters as it wasn't charged but the whole thing including him telling us how to use them took 15 minutes. He said he would be back at midday the following day. The price was 20 euros per single scooter and 30 euros for a double with a 20 euro refundable deposit for 24 hours.
We thought about a double, but had to drive through some of the old town to get to La Cala so thought it would be easier with singles. Im so glad we got singles as they were so much fun.
After a quick practise, we were off.

It really didnt take long to master the start and stop, and by the time we reached the front they were easy to manoeuvre.

Getting through the old town wasn't too bad at all. We had to go this way to avoid the steps.

We made our way back onto the seafront to take us La Cala, this was busy but manageable. I just followed Matt.

We were soon pass the crowds and bombing along the seafront.

Scooter selfie

This side of the beach, Poniente was nicer than the other side, Levante IMO. It was quiet, and I loved the wooded boards so you could walk along the beach and not have to touch the sand.

I love the cycle lanes.

We were trying to figure out what that building was, I forgot to google back at the hotel.

We started to get near to the Grand Bali hotel, so it was back on the roads but Matt and I were experts now.

It didnt take long to reach our destination, it actually took an hour to get there.

It really is a lovely hotel and was nice thinking about the time we stayed there with dd, but it would be too far away from the new town for us now.
We went back outside to find some lady resting on the scooter.
The seafront wasn't as busy on the way back.

We nipped through the old town.

This tickled Matt

We plugged the scooters in at the hotel and went in for lunch.

Salmon was being carved, and Matt had a steak.

We popped back to the room with a drink, and found these chocolates on the bed for Valentines.

We decided to go back out on the scooters and drive along the other side of the seafront.

And then onto the roads. Past the sol Pelicanos again.

We arrived back at the hotel about 5. Matt went downstairs with his golf magazine while I got ready and met him at 6.30.
A couple of drinks later, we went for dinner at 8.30. Every lady was given a flower and glass of bubbly as we walked in. It was a lot busier tonight and had to look for a table but soon got seated.
Mussel cocktail

The ribs were lovely, its supposed to be salsa on the chips but was more like tomato sauce

The chocolate fountain was out again, with waffles

I saw these, but didnt like the look of them

Stuffed, we went into the bar which was packed. We just managed to find a seat on the end of a booth.
The show was a couple doing strictly type dances.

It ended about 10 and a singer was next but we finished our drinks. As easy it would have been to stay there, we wanted to visit Morgans Taven when it was open.
We considered taking the scooters, but thought it would be a better idea to walk.
It took about 10 minutes, and most of the bars on the way there looked empty.
We ordered drinks, a bottle of San migel and a vodka and diet coke, 7.70 euros.

Matt saw the fish tank bar used in the programme.

A Lady Gaga tribute was just finishing, and then a Queen tribute came on. They were very good, but we left after our drink. They have bands on and then a disco until the early hours.

Next stop was Cafe Benidorm. We were offered free shots on the way in, even though that where we were headed. I needed the toilet so I left Matt getting the drinks.

8.50 euros for this, it was 241 on drinks.
There was a disco, and then 2 guys came on singing, you could get on stage with them if you wanted to.

We finished our drinks and headed back to the hotel.

Edited at 05:44 PM.
roxie2001 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 18, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
dorsetmutley
Imagineer

Loving your trippie, especially your Madge mobiles
dorsetmutley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 18, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

The scooters seem like a lot of fun - and good value too!

And again lots of delicious looking food and 🍹 🍸 🍷!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 18, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dorsetmutley View Post
Loving your trippie, especially your Madge mobiles
Thank you, I loved being Madge for the day. great fun
roxie2001 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 18, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
The scooters seem like a lot of fun - and good value too!

And again lots of delicious looking food and 🍹 🍸 🍷!
They were, and a bargain. You can hire for 24 hours, 3 days or a month at a time.

Ive never ate so much on a holiday, but couldn't resist all the lovely food.

Edited at 07:29 PM.
Old 20 Feb 18, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Loving the scooters great way to get around.
Old 20 Feb 18, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Taffy1959 View Post
Loving the scooters great way to get around.
We really did enjoy going out and about on them, I told my mum she needs one, but probably a bit different scooting in the rain.