Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Sep 18, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Mobile

Article here (that my DD wrote - proud mum!) on exactly that subject...

universityliving/blo...ithout-alcohol

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 18, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
jellie
Apprentice Imagineer

My DD is just going into her third year and doesn’t drink, she’s never felt under pressure to drink on nights out, just has soft drinks and everyone just accepts it. I’m sure your daughter will be fine.

Daytona Beach 1991, Loma Linda 1992, Westridge 1993, Buenaventura Lakes 1994, Loma Vista 1997, Sandy Ridge 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2014,2016,2017
jellie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 18, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
nickimiz
Imagineer

My DS started uni last week, he doesn't drink (bad experience with a bottle of brandy), he hadn't found it a problem during freshers, been out but not to the point of getting wrecked.
Old 22 Sep 18, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Ked
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
Article here (that my DD wrote - proud mum!) on exactly that subject...

universityliving/blo...ithout-alcohol
That’s brilliant! I would be very proud too!

She has looked at society’s but there isn’t much information for Cardiff Met online so hopefully will have more information Saturday. We are nor religious so church groups are not an option. She loves films, Hp and Disney so is hoping to meet others like her
Ked is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 18, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Bella Girl
slightly serious Dibber

Bella Girl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I read an article last week I think in ‘The Times’ that said that increasing numbers of young people are not drinking so Universities are changing social activities to reflect this. Many are now offering gatherings at coffee shops and I think it was Hull University that has scrapped Freshers Week altogether and is offering an alternative.

I was really pleased to read this. Our DD is shy, does not drink and is not a party animal. She is also considering University for next year and I feel a bit worried about how she will respond. X
Bella Girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 18, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

Dds friend is off to uni tomorrow. She's joined her halls group chat. Out of 14 in the same block only 2 drink. I'm sure she won't feel alone x
Old 22 Sep 18, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
stinkerbell97
Gone all Goofy

Hi I've just graduated from my undergrad and I start my masters next week. While I drink very occasionally I don't go out much! It honestly was not a problem at all, If it was the course going out I would go and drink soft drinks occasionally nut mostly I made friends and they were happy to do other stuff too! I joined a couple of societies as well, snow sports and equestrian and both have a lot of socials with meals, movies and days out so it honestly doesn't matter whether you drink or not! I would say it's worth making the effort for one night out with the course at the start of the year as it's just a good chance to get to know everyone better but I went out maybe twice a year on nights out! It totally isn't the be all and end all! x
stinkerbell97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 18, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
stinkerbell97
Gone all Goofy

Also have a look on Facebook for Cardiff met freshers 19 and there might be a group already! if not there will be soon and they can chat before they get there!
stinkerbell97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 18, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

My son drinks and had a great first year at Uni but his flatmate and best friend doesn't drink, my daughter doesn't drink and has had two great years at Uni.

Both of them have said there's no pressure from their peer group to drink and you don't need to be in a 'no drinking' group to enjoy yourself...just like normal life where the nominated driver for the night won't drink either.

I also think a lot is made of the drinking issue because Freshers Week seems to be such a major thing and talked about on TV and radio, when I went to Uni many many years ago it was never reported in such a fashion.
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 18, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Times have changed, when I was at University basically everyone I knew regularly got hammered, by regularly I mean three times a week. But as others have said, I think there will be others now who don’t drink, albeit a lot of drinking will still go on. She will be fine I am sure.