Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > General Chat
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.
Eat and Play Card
Unread 19 Jun 19, 08:19 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile UPVC Front Door

Following on from the UPVC windows thread, my front door, surround and threshold/step needs replacing and dont know where to start.

The current door and surround are the originals from 1970. The surround is rotten and looks a real mess but the door itself is ok.

Ideally Id have the surround replaced with wood although I know its more maintenance. The thing I dont like with UPVC surrounds is the visible silicon seal between it and the brick work.

Is it possible to get the surrounding frame replaced with wood in the same style or would it be far more expensive than UPVC ? With wood I could keep the front door.

Thanks
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jun 19, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

Mr Tom Morrow's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Linda. A standard door frame with a hardwood cill is about 80/90. A bit more if you opt for all hardwood albeit the cill is always better timber as it needs to take heavier weathering and the wear from the footfall.

Takes an hour to rip one out and put a new one in. Then the issue of the door comes into play. The World is your oyster on design and cost. About 2 hours max to hang a new door with the door furniture as well e.g. letter plate, lock(s), house number etc. Probably only 45 mins to put the existing door back on.

If the whole lot is being replaced in one hit 2+ hours max as the existing door will be trashed off with a nail bar.

If you don't want to see white mastic around a uPVC or any type of door frame you can specify translucent to be used. However that is pure silicon and is not as robust as mastic. For neat lines I use masking tape, then gun it and then strip the tape off.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

'Morrow and Morrow. For the people dot com'

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Third Trip Of 2019 - Back To SSR
Unread 19 Jun 19, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Linda. A standard door frame with a hardwood cill is about 80/90. A bit more if you opt for all hardwood albeit the cill is always better timber as it needs to take heavier weathering and the wear from the footfall.

Takes an hour to rip one out and put a new one in. Then the issue of the door comes into play. The World is your oyster on design and cost. About 2 hours max to hang a new door with the door furniture as well e.g. letter plate, lock(s), house number etc. Probably only 45 mins to put the existing door back on.

If the whole lot is being replaced in one hit 2+ hours max as the existing door will be trashed off with a nail bar.

If you don't want to see white mastic around a uPVC or any type of door frame you can specify translucent to be used. However that is pure silicon and is not as robust as mastic. For neat lines I use masking tape, then gun it and then strip the tape off.
Good tip with regards the masking tape, I always do the same and end up with a nice neat finish.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
My lucky wife
Unread 19 Jun 19, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Mobile

I normally end up with more silicon sealant on me than on the job I'm doing.
Sept 2004 - Hampton Lakes and Madeira Beach. June 2005 - Westridge. May 2006 - Clear Creek. Apr 2007 - Crescent Lakes and Madeira Beach. Apr 2008 - Crescent Lakes. Apr 2009 - Bahama Bay. Sept 2010 - OKW. June 2011 - LBV resort and spa. Feb 2012 - Regal Palms.
disneypars is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
A MONTH IN THE SUN
Unread 19 Jun 19, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

Mr Tom Morrow's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by disneypars View Post
I normally end up with more silicon sealant on me than on the job I'm doing.
I'm more concerned about my tongue!

How many Tradesmen and DIY people lick their middle finger then smooth down the mastic!

For certain jobs I now put on a pair or even one rubber glove. A box of extra large ones from Amazon is about 5. Lasts for about a year I find. Handy for painting (1 glove). Waxing the car (2 gloves) etc etc.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

'Morrow and Morrow. For the people dot com'

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Third Trip Of 2019 - Back To SSR