Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > General Chat
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.
Holiday to Florida with Florida4less
Unread 19 Jun 19, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
vhm672
Imagineer

vhm672's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Some of the stories are frightening but not surprising. Conveyancing has been pushed into such a low margin commoditised workstream that this is not surprising however sad and frustrating.

Estate agents get 1% of the asking price and conveyancers sometimes less than my hourly rate for the entire transaction.

Conveyancing isnt difficult but it is time consuming and therefore conveyancing assistants abound who have little legal or commercial acumen. There are good people out there but it is difficult for jo public to know who they are and even if you get a good one ( I have an excellent conveyancer as unfortunately I cant do my own) if the other side have a bad solicitor you can be on as much trouble as if your own firm is poor.

No matter how good or bad due to margins on the work you need to be the person who shouts loudest, who chases steps down and who gives the solicitors deadlines and generally sets expectations. If you dont the matter will often drift.

In the OPs case they have every right to complain and should do so firstly to the firm with the right to escalate later.
vhm672 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
First ever xmas trip
Unread 19 Jun 19, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
BerkshireBugsy
VIP Dibber

In my case there is no buying or selling of property just alterations to the deeds. I know I could do this myself but wanted to make sure it was done properly.

To answer an earlier question I hadn't contacted the partner- I was due to do that today if I had not heard anything

Edited at 08:52 AM.
BerkshireBugsy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
we said we wouldn't do it this year...
Unread 20 Jun 19, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by vhm672 View Post
Some of the stories are frightening but not surprising. Conveyancing has been pushed into such a low margin commoditised workstream that this is not surprising however sad and frustrating.

Estate agents get 1% of the asking price and conveyancers sometimes less than my hourly rate for the entire transaction.

Conveyancing isnt difficult but it is time consuming and therefore conveyancing assistants abound who have little legal or commercial acumen. There are good people out there but it is difficult for jo public to know who they are and even if you get a good one ( I have an excellent conveyancer as unfortunately I cant do my own) if the other side have a bad solicitor you can be on as much trouble as if your own firm is poor.

No matter how good or bad due to margins on the work you need to be the person who shouts loudest, who chases steps down and who gives the solicitors deadlines and generally sets expectations. If you dont the matter will often drift.

In the OPs case they have every right to complain and should do so firstly to the firm with the right to escalate later.
1%? We dream of 1% in Cornwall.
In an area with very depressed wages and relatively high house prices, the very best that we would get from a bricks and mortar high street Estate Agent would be 1.5% for a stack em high easy to flog, standard box. The average is around 1.7% and the largest chain in the area is difficult to negotiate below 2%.

I would agree with you on conveyancing wages in that they are low and that retention of experienced staff may be a problem with those low wages.
Even experienced Solicitors down here (I can only speak for Criminal ones), are not on very good money since the introduction of fixed fees (less even with call out than I was earning as a DC).
2005 On site Disney. 2009 Idrive. 2010 Idrive, 2011 LBV+ Duck Key. 2012 Gulf Coast+Davenport Villa. 2013 LBV Resort.2015 NY+Washington+Davenport Villa+Tampa. 2017 Pensacola+Destin+Kissimmee Villa. 2018 California N to S

Edited at 08:14 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Boston, NY, Dayton, Florida can't wait.
Unread 1 Jul 19, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
BerkshireBugsy
VIP Dibber

Just to update this thread which I started. Having requested an escalation from the solicitor dealing with my case I received an email stating that the only grounds for my complaint was that she had failed to update me one week.

This wasnt the case - the chain of documentation required to complete the engagement had been sitting on someones desk forn4 weeks without any action.

I'm sure there are good solicitors out there but given how much they charge for their work I expect better customer service.
Unread 1 Jul 19, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
Just to update this thread which I started. Having requested an escalation from the solicitor dealing with my case I received an email stating that the only grounds for my complaint was that she had failed to update me one week.

This wasnt the case - the chain of documentation required to complete the engagement had been sitting on someones desk forn4 weeks without any action.

I'm sure there are good solicitors out there but given how much they charge for their work I expect better customer service.
It may be worth contacting the legal ombudsman as the solicitor has now said they do not feel you have grounds to complain. I have added a link below to the website. Hope they can help

legalombudsman.uk/
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Vietnam to visit our son
Unread 1 Jul 19, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
BerkshireBugsy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
It may be worth contacting the legal ombudsman as the solicitor has now said they do not feel you have grounds to complain. I have added a link below to the website. Hope they can help

legalombudsman.uk/
Thank you - I will think about that and will certainly have a read.

To be honest once the work is done I really dont want anything else to do with solicitors unless I absolutely have to.

Thanks again.
Unread 1 Jul 19, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
Thank you - I will think about that and will certainly have a read.

To be honest once the work is done I really dont want anything else to do with solicitors unless I absolutely have to.

Thanks again.
Yes I totally understand that. Its frustrating as what should have been simple has turned into a stressful situation. I know there is a time limit for complaints to the ombudsman but Im not sure when the deadline is. You may want to give it a few weeks to consider though and then give them a ring. Good luck
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Vietnam to visit our son
Unread 1 Jul 19, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I feel your pain, we too had a nightmare with our conveyancer . Ironically our first choice was a local solicitor which was apparently also our buyer's solicitor. The whole sale was a nightmare and completed with a huge mistake that would have cost us tens of thousands . We sued and won.
Seven years down the line we have paid off the mortgage and are awaiting the deeds. After much chasing the building society have informed us they never received the deeds from the conveyancer and their letters asking for them have been ignored.
Husband has just rung the conveyancer and got fobbed off with "send an email" .
I'm about to compose a humdinger for him but I really can't believe they have screwed up again.
Like you we never wanted dealings with them ever again but we have no choice.
Annoyingly they aren't local but down on the south coast too.

Edited at 04:00 PM.
duchy is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Cheeky week, cruise and no parks
Eat and Play Card