Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > General Chat
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.
Kissimmee Swamp Tours
Unread 19 May 17, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindy15
Excited about Disney

New kitchen... 'Gulp'.. How much!

OK so I don't usually talk about anything other than Disney on here but I am really keen to get my fellow dibb friends thoughts on this, after moving into our house/project over a year ago we had very little money to do it up, and gave always thought that us and the kids will get so much more enjoyment and memories from our Disney trips than they will from posh kitchens and bathrooms!.. But with this years trip nearly paid for we thought 'well when are we actually ever going to afford a kitchen if we have no idea of price '.. So decided to get a local kitchen company (kind of independent bespoke local company) not a big chain to come round, they have measured up and with various emails back and forth I eventually said I'm happy with the plan do go ahead and quote me... Well it seemed they didn't want to just email me the quote I was advised to arrange an appointment to go in and discuss, I continued to explain we might be struggling to get in to see them for a week or so and would really like a 'ball park' of where we are with the quote, eventually got a figure out of him and they tell me that with the current plan we're at about. 19k! Needless to say I was gobsmacked! I knew it wasn't going to be cheap, and definitely more than 10k but gosh ! ... Think I'll now be shopping around, but would love any info if anyone has had similar experiences with new kitchens, I said did it let's get a 5k b&q one and just book Disney again for 2019!

Edited at 09:23 PM.
Lindy15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
2nd Trip with DD8 and DS6
Unread 19 May 17, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
hols2florida
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Definitely shop around. Our kitchen is quite small can't really be changed too much. We moved the washing machine, had new cupboards, sink, worktops, extractor fan & splashback. We were quoted up to 7500 & ended up paying 3700 for a lovely kitchen. By the time we had some plastering & electrical work done & bought a new oven & hob, the total was nearer to 4500-5000. But it's certainly worth shopping around.
hols2florida is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 19 May 17, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We did our kitchen last year - I posted a thread about it as it was quite a transformation. Our kitchen cost about 15,000 but we did have quartz worktops and an island plus a few extravagant touches.
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 19 May 17, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

We had a new kitchen and a knock through to the dining room, plus a wall moved and few tweaks 😀 This was 12 months ago, and our original kitchen quote was over 8k before fitting. We shopped around and got one from a B&Q which was closing down. It was well under 5k and better quality the the one quoted for 8k. We had to pay for fitting and then the knock through, electrics, appliances, radiators, light fittings, new double doors, wooden flooring (bargain at only 500 in the clearance). We also moved the living room wall back and created a new cupboard in the hallway. Our original budget of 12k was unrealistic and we ended up around 17k. Not bad considering all the work we had done and it looks really good like we've spend more on it
It's definately worth shopping round. We could have spent double what we did if we'd took the first quote and not been savvy with the extras.
93 94 03 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 19 May 17, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

Nothing surprises me these days. To have a concrete base for a greenhouse 8 feet by 6 feet we've been quoted 3.5k including levelling the ground.

Needless to say, I'm doing it myself.
SimonB is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
OKW DDP chompathon and RPR
Unread 19 May 17, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindy15
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Thanks guys, your right I'm certainly going to shop around, my husband is in the trade so knows plenty of joiners, plumbers, plasterers etc.. This. Quote was even for a straight re-fit my hubby was going to get old one removed and new walls etc plastered.. So really think it's way over priced, I mean I want a nice kitchen with 'soft' close cupboards... But 19! 😡 nope.. LizzieM I'm goto check out your post. Thanks x
Lindy15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Unread 19 May 17, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindy15
Excited about Disney

Tell me your thoughts! This is the 'plan' I've been quoted for

Edited at 09:49 PM.
Unread 19 May 17, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindy15
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by JudyC View Post
We had a new kitchen and a knock through to the dining room, plus a wall moved and few tweaks 😀 This was 12 months ago, and our original kitchen quote was over 8k before fitting. We shopped around and got one from a B&Q which was closing down. It was well under 5k and better quality the the one quoted for 8k. We had to pay for fitting and then the knock through, electrics, appliances, radiators, light fittings, new double doors, wooden flooring (bargain at only 500 in the clearance). We also moved the living room wall back and created a new cupboard in the hallway. Our original budget of 12k was unrealistic and we ended up around 17k. Not bad considering all the work we had done and it looks really good like we've spend more on it
It's definately worth shopping round. We could have spent double what we did if we'd took the first quote and not been savvy with the extras.
Definitely taking your advice and shopping around.. Thanks
Discount Florida Car Hire