Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > General Chat
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.
QuickSilver
Unread 6 Aug 17, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

How much to give to child at Uni

Anyone who funds a child (not their fees) at Uni. What's a reasonable monthly allowance? I will be paying for sons car insurance, mobile phone and contact lenses as I already do that. How much do they need to live? Oh, I'll be paying his halls fees as well. I've no idea what's needed really?
scoobydooby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
POFQ July 2020
Unread 6 Aug 17, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Maxymoo
Excited about Disney

With my son I have paid the accomadation fees and he has taken a student loan for living expenses. Hall fees last yr were a shocking 750 a month sept to may! This yr he is sharing a house and including bills it is 450 a month but is for 12 months. I think he gets around 400 a month from his loan .this makes him quite rich compared to some of his friends but he hasn't had to ask for a penny for anything else so far! I think he could probably live on 50 a week but then I would have to buy books, train tickets home, clothes, mobile phone etc. Maybe I am to generous
Maxymoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Just the 2 of us at CBR
Unread 6 Aug 17, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Thanks Maxymoo. I've worked out his maintenance loan will only be 57 a week over a 52 week 'spread'. That's not going to be enough I don't think.
scoobydooby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
POFQ July 2020
Unread 6 Aug 17, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post

We are in disagreement about this at the moment !
DH wants to give DD 100 a week I think that's too much. 75 would be plenty I think.
Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 17, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
maudyhill
VIP Dibber

My DD has just finished 3 years at uni.
She had a maintenance loan, which gave her about 30 per week. We would pay for train fair home, and when at home would take her back and do a big grocery shop.
Hubby would also give her some cash when she came home.
It wasn't until her final year that she got a job to help fund things.
I'm glad though we didn't over do it coz she is really good at budgeting now and manages to save.
When it comes to money she is quite savvy.

Mandy xx
Best Western ID 1994
DLP Santa Fe 2004, Quailty inn plaza ID 2008
Emerald Island Kissimmee 2011
San Francisco / yosemite 2012
Emerald island Kissimmee 2013, Esprit estate Davenport 2015, new york 2016, Emerald Island Kissimmee 2017, San fran, LA & Vegas 2018
maudyhill is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Here we go again...
Unread 6 Aug 17, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
hermione25
Imagineer

We topped up DDs maintenance loan to fully cover cost of accommodation then set up a direct debit for 30 a weeks from start of October to May.

She works part time for a well known sports retailer, who were able to transfer her to store near her uni during term time, so she was also earning money on top of that.

She had to come home and commute for the second year due to health issues, (the only upside was that she was entitled to a disabled train pass, so minimal travel expenses), and continued to work in the local store. Consequently we gave her no money.

Although her seizures are under control ATM, she's decided to commute for the last year too, so her student loan will cover fees and she'll live at home rent free again.
Unread 6 Aug 17, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Maxymoo
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
Thanks Maxymoo. I've worked out his maintenance loan will only be 57 a week over a 52 week 'spread'. That's not going to be enough I don't think.
Yes his loan is only during term time so oct to may but he has been working over the summer holidays to fund these months and saving for some extras.
Maxymoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Just the 2 of us at CBR
Unread 6 Aug 17, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Maxymoo View Post
Yes his loan is only during term time so oct to may but he has been working over the summer holidays to fund these months and saving for some extras.
My son earns 250 a month and will be driving home every week to keep this job as it's on a Sunday and he will only be a 60 minute drive away. That will be his money for clothes and going out and the like. So that puts him up to about 107 a week with his accommodation, phone, car insurance and contact lenses also paid for. I'm thinking I'll fill his car up with petrol every week and give him 50 for food a week. Does that sound okay? I'm so confused about this.
POFQ July 2020
Orlando Attraction Tickets