General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 15 Feb 18, 01:02 AM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Two Countries and Eleven States - Day 3 Birthday Treats galore!

21st October 2017

Happy birthday to me! As birthdays go I’ve not spent very many of them aboroad and forgive me for being quite giddy to spend my 50th in New York!
I’d brought some of my smaller presents and cards with me to open so that’s what I did
I spent sometime replying to Birthday messages and saying hi to family but as it was an early start again by 9am we were at the subway.

We headed up to the Flatiron Building and then headed to the Highline

We walked along this for quite a way, wasn’t looking it’s best at this time of year but still nice to walk along there away from the traffic and noise.

The boys really enjoyed it but by this time it was nearly and we were getting hungry!
We had heard about the legendary pizza slices for $1 and more by accident than design we were in the Garment District and found such an establishment on W 40th St where we all indulged in a big slice of delicious pizza

The boys had cheese and I had pepperoni, best pizza of the holiday and yep just a dollar a slice, best bargain too.
We headed up to the ESB

There had been many discussions about what to do in New York but not for this day. From the start it was always going to be the ESB. This building epitomises NYC for me and I was soooo excited to finally be here. We had finally opted for the Explorer tickets and decided on the ESB, TOTR, The Ride and a standard bus tour. The pass meant we bypassed the queues which impressed DH
The inside, wow! Beautiful beyond anything I’d imagined.

The boys were equally impressed.

We had the obligatory photo with King Kong.

Cheesy but hell what can you do?
On up to the top on a beautiful sunny day perfect as you can tell from the smiles it was very special.

Fantastic views but won’t bore you with them.

Just the odd one
Amazing visit, event the lifts were fab and one we are repeating in July.
Anyway eventually it was down to earth and onto Central Station for a quick visit. The boys and I tried the whispering gallery and shock! surprise! It worked!

Yes it is amazing and beautiful and huge and you feel the history all around you. I can understand why Jackie Kennedy Onassis wanted to save it.

Passed the library and sat on the steps discussing Day after Tomorrow We are total film buffs.
However we had another visit to make and this was about my birthday so...
We headed down 5th Avenue passing

Good to see the armed guards outside but thought we would leave off trying to say hello

Finally got to a certain shop and made a purchase

Took the opportunity to spray myself liberally with their signature perfume, gorgeous and left before we were totally bankrupt
It was definitely time for food and I’m not sure why but we hadn’t managed to decide on anything special for my birthday. Epic planning fail. We’d talked about Juniors and a couple of other options but we were now starving.
We found ourselves at a classic Irish bar Gabby o’Haras and ordered beers and cokes. DH was desperate to eat and egged on by boys I gave in. I was disappointed initially we hadn’t sorted anything better but when the food arrived I was anything but. I ordered a salmon salad and it was scrumptious

We all enjoyed our food, boys had mini sliders and fries and DH had a steak - all good and delicious.
Our waiter was a proper Irish lad who had just come over in April. He chatted away to DH about sports and was lovely.
Full tummies, no room for dessert which was a bit of a theme sadly and we were off.
We headed back to Times Square for a wander, booked ourselves on The Ride for 7.45. Saw another Cake Boss

Saw some wacky statues of commuters

Went to get on the bus for our tour only to be told it was running late and we should come back in half an hour! It was actually more like an hour late by the time we got on. DH was all for forgetting about it and heading back to the hotel. He kept saying it had better be worth it. Luckily the boys were happy staying out and wanted to stay for the tour so we did.

We all loved it!
I won’t say too much as I don’t want to spoil it for anyone but just so much fun!
What a way to end a spectacular day singing New York at the top of our voices!
Oh and then there was cake
mmmm delish.

2006 1st trip to Florida 2008 The return 2009 Its Florida again 2010 Florida again! 2011 Yes! Florida 2013 Florida please! 2015 Back to Florida 2016 California! 2017 New York (and beyond) 2018 East Coast Road Trip 2019 Florida one last time ... again!

Edited at 01:00 AM.
floridafan101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Another fab day. The high line is great to walk along. Love the photo of you all at the top of the ESB. Did you go in the library? It's beautiful inside we could have spent hours there, if not the maybe squeeze it in next time. We also went on the Ride it was so much fun. I hadn't told DH or the kids anything about it and just did we are doing a bus tour, they weren't really looking forward to it...but we all found it hilarious.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Love the High Line. It was 30 odd degrees when I was on it last summer.
Old 15 Feb 18, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Another fab day. The high line is great to walk along. Love the photo of you all at the top of the ESB. Did you go in the library? It's beautiful inside we could have spent hours there, if not the maybe squeeze it in next time. We also went on the Ride it was so much fun. I hadn't told DH or the kids anything about it and just did we are doing a bus tour, they weren't really looking forward to it...but we all found it hilarious.
Thanks for reading yes the kids really enjoyed it, so different from plodding the streets! I wanted to go in the library but we just didn’t have chance maybe this year, hopefully. The Ride was fantastic, perfect end to a NY birthday. I was the same hadn’t said what it was just that it was a bit different. My boys thought it was hilarious and they won the quiz which just made their night hence the sunglasses they’re wearing which was their prize!

2006 1st trip to Florida 2008 The return 2009 Its Florida again 2010 Florida again! 2011 Yes! Florida 2013 Florida please! 2015 Back to Florida 2016 California! 2017 New York (and beyond) 2018 East Coast Road Trip 2019 Florida one last time ... again!
floridafan101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
YorkshireT. Hoping for high temps this summer, October was perfect but eldest son not bothered about the High Line so won’t be doing it again sadly.

Old 15 Feb 18, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Another fan of the Highline! The kids mot so much

You packed an awful lot in again - and how lucky with the weather!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 01:17 AM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Another fan of the Highline! The kids mot so much

You packed an awful lot in again - and how lucky with the weather!
I know! We had come prepared with big coats, boots, scarves, hats and gloves well they didn’t see much daylight. rain coats ah well that’s a different story - but that comes later

Old 21 Feb 18, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
yellowrose78
VIP Dibber

yellowrose78's Reviews
Another fab day! Pizza for a dollar, I must find this place lol Can't wait to go to Tiffany

Movieland Hotel IDrive - 2002 / POR - 2012 / 3 Weeks at OKW - 2014 / Villa at Highlands Reserve - 2016 / New York and Orlando - 2018 / Caribbean Cruise MSC Seaside - June 2019 / Orlando Covid cancelled 2020 and 2021 / Planning for Orlando 2024
yellowrose78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List