Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > General Chat
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.
Holiday to Florida with Florida4less
Unread 26 May 18, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
May see you at Exeter or Birmingham then, we can compare notes 😀

Regarding teaching English in Korea, my eldest son taught there for 18 months, and now teaches in Vietnam. So, if you need any advice or reassurance ask away. He loves it, has met lots of new friends and has a great standard of living. His wages are not high by UK standards but the cost of living in these countries are so low, he has a comfortable lifestyle living in a beautiful 3 bedroomed apartment which he shares with a mate with a communal pool. He travels around Asia lots for his holidays, so has seen many different places.

He did work in the UK for a few years as a manager in the education sector which I feel prepared him for work before he made the step of moving. I would advise a bit of work experience after uni to prepare someone but apart from that, I would say it is a good choice (although we miss him lots). Incidentally, he says he feels far safer in Asia than he did on a night out in any UK city, crime rate is very low there and he says people are very friendly and helpful
Oh wow - thank you for that - a bit reassuring that someone else is actually doing what she wants for her future. I may be back to seek advice at some point - thank you for the offer. Love the Dibb community!
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 26 May 18, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mexy02 View Post
Our college has set up a compulsory visit to one of four unis next week which Im glad about , so hes picked York as its close and has the better course than the others. Im still not sure uni is the way forward for mine so hopefully this will give him some idea. He hasnt wanted to do visits so far so we havent pushed him as I feel too many kids get pushed into the uni route when really they just dont want to be there at all. I know far too many kids who have dropped out and now they have to pay from day 1 end up with debt they could do without . Lots of thinking for us over summer. So many big decisions. X
I agree, colleges do push towards universities and it isn't always the right choice for every child. Some very clever people with wonderful careers did not attend university.

It is so difficult to have to make such major decisions at such young ages. I do hope the visit helps your son with his decision 😊
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Vietnam to visit our son
Unread 26 May 18, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
PumpkinKitty
Imagineer

Ds has already visited the ones hes interested in (and picked one- Exeter)
I didnt realise it was still going on now
PumpkinKitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
French quarter and HRH
Unread 26 May 18, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by PumpkinKitty View Post
Ds has already visited the ones hes interested in (and picked one- Exeter)
I didnt realise it was still going on now
Our DD is looking for Sept 2019 start so only just started the whole open days for this intake. Exeter is her favourite on paper, but this may change after the visits 😀. It is a very good uni though. Good luck to your son with his choice there
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Vietnam to visit our son
Unread 26 May 18, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
PumpkinKitty
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Our DD is looking for Sept 2019 start so only just started the whole open days for this intake. Exeter is her favourite on paper, but this may change after the visits 😀. It is a very good uni though. Good luck to your son with his choice there
Ah I see, sorry!
Yes Exeter is amazing .
Love the fact they have people to help with health and mental health issues onsite as a couple didnt offer this .
Hes been working hard on his revision and has his first exam on his 18th birthday 😆 😭
Thank you and good luck to your dd with her choice , its tough!
Unread 26 May 18, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
FSnug
Very Serious Dibber

Definitely visit any contenders. What looks good as a course on paper may not be what you sense when you visit. The organisation of the open days can be a good reflection of the organisation within the university and the quality of the student guides can also influence the experience. Talk to existing students - ask questions. I went with DS and I sensed different things to him - he was rightly majoring on course content and structure and I was looking at everything else - from halls to finance to transport. At the end of each visit we would go for a coffee or meal and see if we agreed on the feel and course. We did every time! He has just finished his second year at Portsmouth doing Film Production and is loving it. Small city (lots of night life if you want it, though he doesnt), good train link for us, is happy with the course and is doing well and lots of private rental accommodation - though there is also lots of halls accommodation, some very new, at a variety of prices, and most a close walk to the uni.
... maybe one day?
FSnug is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 26 May 18, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
MEZZA
Imagineer

MEZZA's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 3
Went through this last year with DD whose now studying psychology.
We visited Manchester, birmingham and Nottingham her main question was to the current students of the courses she was interested in. Was the reality of the course as described/ live upto in their prospectus ? Those that didnt were crossed off immediately

MEZZA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
A little get away
Unread 26 May 18, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FSnug View Post
Definitely visit any contenders. What looks good as a course on paper may not be what you sense when you visit. The organisation of the open days can be a good reflection of the organisation within the university and the quality of the student guides can also influence the experience. Talk to existing students - ask questions. I went with DS and I sensed different things to him - he was rightly majoring on course content and structure and I was looking at everything else - from halls to finance to transport. At the end of each visit we would go for a coffee or meal and see if we agreed on the feel and course. We did every time! He has just finished his second year at Portsmouth doing Film Production and is loving it. Small city (lots of night life if you want it, though he doesnt), good train link for us, is happy with the course and is doing well and lots of private rental accommodation - though there is also lots of halls accommodation, some very new, at a variety of prices, and most a close walk to the uni.
Thanks some great advice. My DD has asked me to concentrate on the accommodation, costs etc as it is a lot to take in. She wants to concentrate on the courses and the feel of the uni.

She has looked at the same course as your son and is still considering a visit to Portsmouth to look at this course so it's good to hear that it seems interesting and is a nice city. 😊

Edited at 11:17 AM.
Vietnam to visit our son