Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > General Chat
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.
Attraction Tickets Direct
Unread 5 May 19, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
It totally works, I started it last September having never run in my life before and as a slightly overweight person in their late 50's wasn't sure if I'd be able to do it. I did find it tough going, the first week was just 60 seconds of walking with 60 seconds of running (I think) 8 times and I had to push myself to do it. Like you said, it was hard but not impossible. Each week brought a new challenge but I always felt they were achievable, even if I was knackered afterwards but each week there was an improvement. I totally dreaded the week where I had to run for 20 minutes straight but that was mental more than physical and I was delighted with myself when I did it.

I graduated in December and have been doing consolidation runs 3 times a week ever since and I actually enjoy them. My personal best 5k is 32.45 which I'm happy to try and keep improving and I'm just back today from a 40m run at a slower pace. Some advice I'd give you is to take the pace slowly, to start with it's more about the actual running rather than how fast you do it so don't go too fast as you'll just exhaust yourself and also risk injury. Also have a look at the Health Unlocked C25K forum, I found that really helpful healthunlocked/couchto5k

Keep us updated with your journey

BCV, DCL & ALK
TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Unread 5 May 19, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
justacey
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Yes. At age 51 and never having run in my life I managed to complete it last year. My hips are not too clever so I havent run since but Im so happy I managed to get to the end.
justacey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 5 May 19, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
LexiBantam
Helping Mickey

Thank you all so much! I feel really inspired. I don't think I have the confidence to join a running club (not at the moment at least!) and I'm tied up on weekend mornings, so I can't do park runs either, so for the moment it's just me (and Michael Johnson!)

I'm in a similar starting position to a lot of you (46, slightly overweigh, not run since...well ever!) so knowing it's possible is a big incentive to keep going!

Thank you all
LexiBantam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Our third "once in a lifetime" holiday!
Unread 5 May 19, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
Imagineer

Originally Posted by LexiBantam View Post
Im going to give this a go - Ive done my first session today and found it hard enough to be a real challenge but not so hard that it has put me off. BUT I still dont think that Ill ever be fit enough to run for 5k - anyone got any inspiring stories for me 🏃🏻 😊
Just to add that it does work.

I can do 10K now but would never even attempt longer too much muscle damage if you don't prepare right.

Originally Posted by LexiBantam View Post
Thank you all so much! I feel really inspired. I don't think I have the confidence to join a running club (not at the moment at least!) and I'm tied up on weekend mornings, so I can't do park runs either, so for the moment it's just me (and Michael Johnson!)

I'm in a similar starting position to a lot of you (46, slightly overweigh, not run since...well ever!) so knowing it's possible is a big incentive to keep going!

Thank you all
Same age as me I did it 5 years ago but it's a great program. Is it 10 weeks to get to 5k?

Edited at 02:59 PM.
jas72 is offline Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
15 weeks in the Grand Floridian +cruise
Unread 5 May 19, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
justacey
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Michael is very lovely to run with 😁
justacey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 5 May 19, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Yes, it really does work but you need to be committed, and carry on running regularly once finished. I did Couch to 5k and then the Disney Fall Feast 5k in 2017, did the Manchester 10k in 2018 and I'm doing the Edinburgh half marathon in 3 weeks time.

Lots of Dibbers have done it and gone onto amazing things running wise - you're next!
Unread 5 May 19, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
mushumadness
VIP Dibber
- DIBB Advertiser -

mushumadness's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Mobile

I hope it does

Anna xx
Personalised Trip Clothing + Much More
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/PixieByAnna
mushumadness is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Easter in florida
Unread 5 May 19, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
JudeB
Apprentice Imagineer

JudeB's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Ive downloaded the app and DH, DD and I are planning on starting tomorrow. This thread has encouraged me - I never was a runner but keen to give it a go and hopefully Ill have it done by the time we go to Florida!
My Magic Holiday