Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Jun 19, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
It was ok when she overheard someone else conversation and reported it to the bbc to get them banned. I hope she never appears on another bbc program.
Mazbar is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by vowels View Post
I have actually listened to what she said.

The acid comment was a silly joke, which she confirmed immediately after saying it. Her point was that throwing milkshakes, even at Nigel Farage, is pathetic.

Surprised Nigel Farage is such a snowflake when Jo Brand was actually condemning the milkshake attack on him.
So have I and what she said was that throwing milkshakes was pointless, i,e. it should have been corrosive instead!
Old 13 Jun 19, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
Radio 4 has a long tradition of satirical programmes and I’ve heard equally unsavoury ‘jokes’ that didn’t attract anything like the attention that this has. Let’s see it for what it is.
What it is is likely to get some bloody idiot to do it. Would you 'see it for what it is' if one of your loved ones had had a corrosive substance thrown in their faces - yes some joke isnt it
Old 13 Jun 19, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

She also said she would not do it.

Nor did she said anyone else should.

She said it was pathetic.

Much like Nigel Farage's outrage.
vowels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Manny Haines
Dibbing with Tink

Having 3 years ago been privileged to personally meet and hear Katie Piper tell her story about her acid attack and describe in exact and disturbing detail what occurred to her and the pain both physically and mentally that she endured and still does then I am thinking that this was a very misjudged bit of comedy writing.

If you listen to Jo Brand again then her words are very deliberately chosen, so it wasn’t an off the cuff satirical quip.
Yes, comedians push the envelope and I have found myself snigger at remarks that when looking back some 20 odd years were cruel and at times beyond the pale (I cite Mr Gerry Sadowitz) but I knew what to expect from him and I never paid to see him again as some things made even me feel uncomfortable.

I think the more serious point is Aunty Beeb allowed it to be broadcast, comedians can say whatever they want, that is the beauty of free speech however, for a public funded organisation to acknowledge and allow this to be aired calls it in to question.
Some poor assistant producer will be on the dole already and no doubt the senior bod will be getting a talking to down in the BBC bar and it’ll all be forgotten about tomorrow.
“Look over there, it’s Boris”.
Manny Haines is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by THE WIZARD View Post
What it is is likely to get some bloody idiot to do it. Would you 'see it for what it is' if one of your loved ones had had a corrosive substance thrown in their faces - yes some joke isnt it
Don’t be ridiculous or so offensive.
Seeing it for what it is, is a poor taste joke on a satirical radio programme that doesn’t have many listeners. The publicity that has been created is far more damaging and likely to attract ‘the bloody idiots’ as you put it.
In future, kindly not refer to my loved ones in such a context.

Edited at 07:00 PM.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Having been in the positions of actually dealing with acid burns victims, including Kate Piper, this remark shows a total lack of

Wit
Intelligence
Empathy

And personally speaking I’d expect no more from Jo Brand, she’s the most unfunniest person appearing on Radio 4. I didn’t find the comment satirical, I listen to many of the comedy shows on Radio 4 many of which are near the line of oooooh. Hers was a totally stupid thing to say. Double standards, Danny Baker sacked for offensive comments Jo Brand all middle class dahling no problem
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
nolypops83
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by THE WIZARD View Post
I have to confess as never liking Jo Brand anyway, bit to slutty for me but I cannot believe, at the moment, the BBC is actually condoning her comment that instead of Milk Shakes being thrown at politicians it should be Corrosive substance i.e. Acid!
What a terrible terrible thing to say. When asked she said Freedom of Speech in COMEDY is " extremely important."
What ever was she thinking - bet those who have suffered having Acid thrown in their faces will really find that funny!
Slutty?
Old 13 Jun 19, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mazbar View Post
It was ok when she overheard someone else conversation and reported it to the bbc to get them banned. I hope she never appears on another bbc program.

That will be when she and Adrian Chiles reported Carol Thatcher for referring to a black tennis player as a golliwogg.

Not as a joke but how Carol Thatcher actually viewed that tennis player.

Joke on satirical programme = View of black men

Nowhere near comparable.
vowels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Nigel Fauxrage
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List