Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Jun 19, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Hmr89
slightly serious Dibber

I know how you feel, holidays with my parents were always either Mainland Spain or Balearics and were based around pool time, reading, bars and night time entertainment. I always appreciated how lucky I was to go abroad every year and I didn't know any different until I went to Florida for the first time with my other half.
Having been to Orlando a few times, I can't imagine going back to a beach type holiday. I still love going to Europe though, whether it's city breaks or road trips. It's just personal preference but I'd rather be exploring then relaxing.
Hmr89 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Ryles
Imagineer

Mobile

We had a few days in Spain last year. Whilst it was nice it just wasn’t ‘Florida’! We only had 3 days but anymore and I would have been bored! 😐
Old 14 Jun 19, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
More to Spain than sun sea and sangria
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
More to Spain than sun sea and sangria
Yes but they are a good starting point!
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Squidgyness
Very Serious Dibber

I'm thinking after my last trip to Orlando next year (ha, I'll be back we all know that but last for a while at least) I'm going to look into central Europe. I do like a good city break. Would like to go to Prague, but not sure how to avoid the stag do flights, being on my own surrounded by drunk idiots is a nightmare for me, so need to look into that more. Vienna looks nice too, some good museums there I imagine.

Off to York later this month, Edinburgh in September and London next march. Taking lots of little UK breaks is something I found myself really enjoying tbh. I do love a good museum. I'd recommend it for anyone looking to still travel to Orlando but have some cheap breaks on the side. I got a centrally located Premier inn in London for £85 a night with all-you-can-eat breakfast included.

I do know you can get a car and explore say a Greek island, but "a" museum or "a" town just isn't enough for me on a week long holiday. Much like I've been spoiled by Orlando for theme parks I've been spoiled by places like Edinburgh, London or for a more med theme, Malta that have so much history and culture concentrated in a small place I'd find it hard to go to a sleepy resort with maybe 2 or 3 good things to do within a half hours drive.
96/98/03/06/09 - Offsite Kissimmee/I-Drive
17/18 - Universal RPR
Squidgyness is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I love our Florida holidays,be it with family or just the two of us, sometimes we book like last month for less than the price of a fortnight in Europe,and just spent the time relaxing..off to Greece next week all inclusive,we never really fancied Greece and always holidayed in Spain,but we totally fell in love with it last year.To be honest I'd go pretty much anywhere for a sunshine break if the price is right.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

I know what you mean. I used to love spending 2 weeks at an all inclusive hotel, sunbathing, reading, eating, drinking, venturing out occasionally and going on a few organised days trips BUT going to America has changed my view on holidays.

I was looking at A/I for 2 weeks this summer but I compared the price of anything that looked nice in Europe/Caribbean to Vegas, LA, Orlando etc. and I know what I'd prefer.

We decided on a cruise around the Med in the end and hopefully this will be a half way between the two. We'll be going to different cities during the day, do a bit of relaxing on deck/balcony on sea days and there will be plenty of food and drink available.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

would you goto to florida & sit by the pool all day then go out for a buffet tea every night ?

but you do it in spain & then say its not "as good" as florida

you arent comparing like for like surely?
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by daisymae View Post
We are in Turkey at the moment and are feeling exactly the same. Don’t get me wrong the hotel is 5 star and has been great but the buffet is overwhelming we are looking forward to a meal being served to us when we are home. Our hotel is very German and Russian dominated and spending time round the pools with almost every bed occupied by a smoker is choking and not enjoyable. We have spent a fair bit of time either in the pool or down on the beach in the sea. At the same time we have had enough of the Florida theme parks too so will have to think carefully where to go next.
I found this problem too but not at a hotel but outside concert. We were at a rock concert last week and it seemed like every 2nd person was smoking. None of our close friends smoke and in fact I don't know anyone in my work office (40 people) who does.

It was a real shock to have to stand beside 20 people all chainsmoking and the wind of course blew every bit into our faces Easy to say move away but as soon as we did didn't someone else near us light up

When we go to spain we stay at all inclusive as 99% of the good middle hotels offer it for a couple of quid more but we usually hire a car or bikes and go off and explore, no-one forces you to sit in the hotel pool I don't like buffet either it makes me feel sick and you can't talk with everyone eating at different paces and waiting different times for food.

Edited at 07:09 PM.
jas72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 19, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Loobylou_82 View Post
What about giving cruising a try? Different country every day. Things going on onboard the ship every day. Restaurants, buffets, fine dining , the choice is yours. Just choose your ship carefully as to what you want. It's just another option rather than being in one place all the time.
We just returned from our first cruise at the weekend. Although we enjoyed Norway and the Fjjords a weeks cruise was enough. We aren't rushing to book another cruise, I think it may be a one off for us.
Its made us realise we really want to return to Florida, doing a no parks trip.
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List