Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > General Chat
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.
Attraction Tickets Direct
Unread 17 Jun 19, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
suehen
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by riversider2014 View Post
TBH - planning ahead I intend to gradually knock days off as I get closer to retirement. Theres no way I want to be doing a 5 day week when Im 60
DH did this 4 years ago now he only works 4 days a week he does a physical job and its hard work so when he was 55 so at least now he only works Monday- Thursday and last year I started to work Monday-Wednesday so far its working for us and we can still go away on holidays etc.
suehen is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Jaz & Ezri 1st Trip
Unread 17 Jun 19, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodle500
Apprentice Imagineer

I've been in my job for 17 years. I've stayed as I was able to work part time and amend hours to suit school run. I get frustrated by new management but I have to stop and think I have a convenient job working within a nice team.
I had the opportunity to go back full time last year but DH says he prefers for me to be around for DS school hours. By the time DS finishes school I will be in my early 50s. I'll probably still carry on working part time as a nice wind down.
Noodle500 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
POFQ looking forward to being a Jedi
Unread 17 Jun 19, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

I loved my job for 30+ years. Then I got a new line manager. After a year of him being a complete pig, woman-hater ignoramus I went off sick and never really went back. I requested early retirement on health grounds, age 54. The company knew exactly what had happened and were quick to settle with me.

The line manager was demoted by one grade and later moved into a project role doing a basic job, not very well.

Sorry to sound so bitter ! Ive got a voodoo doll of him in my sewing box.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 19, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Edna Cloud
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by riversider2014 View Post
To be honest, if I did go down another, legitimate, career route then Id probably feel the same. (Legitimate in that ill never get the dream job of being a pilot 😊 ).
OP, I'm interested to know what is it about being a pilot that makes it your dream job?

Depending on what the particular attraction is, there might be roles out there which could give you the same or similar (although the grass isn't always greener on the other side).
Edna Cloud is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 19, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
riversider2014
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Edna Cloud View Post
OP, I'm interested to know what is it about being a pilot that makes it your dream job?

Depending on what the particular attraction is, there might be roles out there which could give you the same or similar (although the grass isn't always greener on the other side).
Ive always loved plane travel and the atmosphere of airports. I applied to be an air traffic control officer when I was doing my a levels but didnt get through the test phase to get an interview.

In many ways Im paying for being an indecisive teenager who had no idea what to do. I pretty much fell into this career (I do health economic excel modelling looking at cost and effectiveness of new treatments) and while I enjoy the geeky excel side its the subject that isnt of great interest.

My skills are transferable to other industries and if I could do the same job but modelling passenger numbers at airports Id be in dreamworld😊Unfortunately it would require moving away from York to do that and Im too settled to do the upheaval. There is jet2 who are based in Leeds which is a possibility and I always keep an eye out on their site.

March 2015 - http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=865148
riversider2014 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
beekse Bergen, Efteling and duinrell
Unread 18 Jun 19, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
jim jehosofat
slightly serious Dibber

I never get that Monday morning feeling as my working week is Wednesday to Sunday!
jim jehosofat is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Going back in
Unread 19 Jun 19, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
It depends on the definition of "enjoying work" (bear with me).

Many of us enjoy doing hobbies. We do them for free or even pay to do them. I enjoy going to the cinema, reading a good book, eating a nice meal in a restaurant, etc. All those things I choose to pay to do.

So... do I enjoy my work enough that I would choose to pay to do my job? No. Do I enjoy my work enough that I would do it for nothing? No.

I primarily do the work I do because I am paid to do it. I need money to pay the bills therefore I come to work. If someone gave me millions of pounds I would stop going to work and do something more enjoyable instead. If the company decided to no longer pay me (or paid me significantly less than I'm getting now) then I would stop going to work and look for a job that did pay me enough.

Therefore, by that definition, I do not enjoy work.

However, I don't hate my job. It's reasonably satisfying. I get to use my brain at times. The people I work with are friendly. There's a good work-life balance. I get paid reasonably well (although I'll happily take a pay rise!). But I wouldn't go quite so far as saying I "enjoy" it - because, well, I don't (see above).

By my definition, I suspect the same is true for most people.
DLC: Jun 95 - Holiday Inn // WDW: Dec 97 - Gateway Inn | Feb 00 - Gateway Inn | Mar 01 - Best Western | Feb 06 - Embassy Suites | Oct 10 - Hawthorn Suites | May 12 - Homewood Suites | Aug 14 - CBR&Doubletree | Apr 16 - Caribbean Beach // DLP: Aug 13 - Sequoia Lodge

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Anniversary trip to POFQ...
Unread 19 Jun 19, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneyphile
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I really like my job but I dont LOVE it, I wouldnt do it for free. ☺️ It helps that I only work three days a week though, if I was full time I may feel differently. I left my last job as I used to feel sick every evening before I was due to go into work, I hated it so much. I took a pay cut to do what I do now but it was totally worth it.
Disneyphile is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Disney cruise from the Big Apple
Holiday to Florida with Florida4less