Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > General Chat
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.
Unread 18 Jun 19, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
We moved 2 years ago, and I had to hound the solicitor to get things moving. I'm sure they didn't appreciate it and I won't have been popular but it was incredibly frustrating not to get any communication, or just keep getting sent back the same 'list' of issues with no progress on any of them.

We were told our house (built by Bellway) didn't have any planning permission. That seemed unlikely to me but the solicitor was adamant and advised we drop out of the sale at the 11th hour. I ended up ringing the council myself and of course there was planning permission (I'd have been impressed if Bellway had built a huge estate without any), it was filed under Plot x, rather than our street name, but it took the lady at the council minutes to sort out, if I'd followed the solicitors advice I'd have lost the house, and the whole chain would have collapsed.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
I Love the Glitch thread!
Unread 19 Jun 19, 07:27 AM  
Link to this Post
BerkshireBugsy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
We moved 2 years ago, and I had to hound the solicitor to get things moving. I'm sure they didn't appreciate it and I won't have been popular but it was incredibly frustrating not to get any communication, or just keep getting sent back the same 'list' of issues with no progress on any of them.

We were told our house (built by Bellway) didn't have any planning permission. That seemed unlikely to me but the solicitor was adamant and advised we drop out of the sale at the 11th hour. I ended up ringing the council myself and of course there was planning permission (I'd have been impressed if Bellway had built a huge estate without any), it was filed under Plot x, rather than our street name, but it took the lady at the council minutes to sort out, if I'd followed the solicitors advice I'd have lost the house, and the whole chain would have collapsed.
Although this must have been frustrating for you I found it an interesting read. Surely solicitors must have processes in place for new builds ? Or were they acting correctly by saying "this address doesn't exist"?

But I'm guessing you got it sorted which is the priority .
Unread 19 Jun 19, 07:50 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
Although this must have been frustrating for you I found it an interesting read. Surely solicitors must have processes in place for new builds ? Or were they acting correctly by saying "this address doesn't exist"?

But I'm guessing you got it sorted which is the priority .
I dont know the answer to that. Our house was 5 years old so maybe they didnt follow the new build procedure. The solicitor said she was checking her system and computer says no and she couldnt seem to get past that.

In these situations I always feel for the solicitor you are one of many cases they are dealing with. If there is an issue its easiest for them to put it to one side and move onto the next case.
For yourself its the only case you are dealing with. And your top priority. So you need to push it forward as no one else is as interested in it completing as you are.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
I Love the Glitch thread!
Unread 19 Jun 19, 07:54 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
Imagineer

I had a very bad experience a couple of years back when I sold my student let. It was 4 occupant and not a HMO in my area. My estate agent recommended a company and an individual . That is where my problems started.
She was young, naive, clearly inexperienced and listened far too much to a Solicitor handling the affairs of my buyer.
1. On advice of buyers Solicitor, she demanded an electrical safety certificate. Non HMOs do not require one.
2. At advice of buyers Solicitor, she pointed out that the Central heating boiler had gone 12 months and a week Between servicing and that the buyer sought a reduction on the basis that the warranty was invalid. I pointed out that it was not marketed with any remaining warranty.
3. The buyers Solicitor advised her that there was an issue with ownership of a parking spot. There was not and she already had land registry documents to prove it.
4. She went on holiday for a fortnight and didnt re-allocate the job. She never told me that this was going to happen and her return left a mere fortnight to get things through.

31 March 2016 was crucial as stamp duty rules changed on that date for 2nd homes . On 1 April, another 3% would be payable and the buyer didnt have it (as advised to her buyers Solicitor. My Conveyancer felt it highly unlikely that we could get it through in time. I told her to grow a spine, wise up and act for me, rather than the buyer and to keep trying as that was what she was being paid for. I was surprised that she didnt sack me. I dictated a letter for her and this was sent to the buyers Solicitor. We got it through at 1645 on 31 March 2019.

Believe it or not, this was only a prcis of the various issues that her incompetence and intransigence created. There were many more. My issue afterwards was that I have rather a high regard for the Estate agents that I have regularly used and it turned out that the Conveyancer was a personal friend of the Senior partner. To make a formal complaint would have alienated that partner at a time when they were marketing and selling my own family home, (successfuly).

With hindsight, I realised that my legal knowledge was greater than that of the Conveyancer. She was incompetent. Many Conveyancers are probably only suitable for very simple jobs and can get tripped up by any anomaly. Perhaps she should have consulted with a more senior colleague, rather than swallow any rubbish that she was fed by the opposition?
2005 Disney. 2009 Idrive. 2010 Idrive, 2011 LBV+ Duck Key. 2012 Gulf Coast+ Villa. 2013 LBV Resort.2015 NY+Washington+Villa+Tampa. 2017 Pensacola+Destin+Villa. 2018 California N to S. 2019 Boston+NY+Dayton OH+Villa+Naples.

Edited at 08:10 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
SFO, Monterey, S L Obispo, Vancouver.
Unread 19 Jun 19, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

Oh don't say this! We are in the middle of a house move. All going well so far and fingers crossed it's moving along steadily.
We have found with previous house moves you need to keep mithering them though!
As for the poster who said estate agents mither, I would hope as their customer they did! I know it might be about them getting their fee but at least it gets the process done as well!
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Dubai winter sun!
Unread 19 Jun 19, 08:16 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Estate agents may want the commission but they also want to sell houses and be successful both as an individual and company.
Some solicitors dont or wont communicate through email so it slows the process down.

When I moved I had to ask my mortgage company for the outstanding amount so I knew how much to get on my new mortgage at the end stage

June 2006, August 2007, September 2018, January 2019, September 2019
lizzie145 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Winter break in spain
Unread 19 Jun 19, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
Thank you all.

I have had an email from the solicitor herself explaining that there had been issues with a sick relative which has got in the way of her work and the stand in at the office had also been off due to personal reasons.

This was a red rag to a bull. I do sympathise if she had family issues but it shouldn't get in the way of the basic right of a client to know what is happening with their engagement.
Did you speak to the Managing Partner? I would be explaining that this is unacceptable - you are paying for a service and it isn't your problem how they manage the workload.

I would say - in all our house purchases we have found that solicitors who do convenyancing tend not to prioritise that work (as they also have other casework), whereas a dedicated conveyancer tends to be much better as it is their focus. We figured this out on our last sale/purchase.
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jun 19, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
SHREKS OTHER1/2
Imagineer

SHREKS OTHER1/2's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
So glad it not just me ...I instructed March 8th ...Nothing ..Again 3rd April after holidays ...Still waiting now on completion last email 18 May. Yesterday I blew my top and rang to complain . Oh your Solicitor left 3 weeks ago . Erm and when would you have been letting me know ? .Luckily I am selling to my daughter with the same solicitors different office . There has been no duty of care .My daughter has signed for the house or so she thinks .Just told to sign the paper work no explanations after I had ask them to explain things to her . Then we had the you need to pay us for an insurance as your gifting deposit ..The bank demand it ..I refused reply " Don't worry we will get buyer to pay then !" REALLY . We rang the lending bank they do not ask this they require a letter of disclaimer from us for the deposit . Still waiting for the draft from them again after 4 weeks . I could add more .But once its done I am raising a formal complaint against them . I did tell them yesterday I am glad its only the purchase/sale of a house as if it was anything important I would be scared having them represent me ..Sorry for the ramble but you've started me on one again
05,07,09 Sandy Ridge 11 LA,Vegas ,SF 12 Miami,Sandy Ridge ,AMI 13 Vegas 13 Miami,Disney,AMI, Key West 14 Memphis,New Orleans ,AMI 15 West Caribbean Cruise & Keys 15 Miami, East Caribbean Cruise & AMI 16 Orlando & West Caribbean Cruise, 16 Barbados , 17 MSC Caribbean Cruise AMI,17Georgia,Carolina,Orlando & AMI 18 Vegas ,LA & Palm Springs ,18 New York ,Arkansas ,Dallas 19 Barbados Cruise 19 Florida 20 Cuba
SHREKS OTHER1/2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Las Vegas , LA & Hawaii
My Magic Holiday