Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Jun 19, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

I used to work for one of the large banks before retiring. Although in my office they were very flexible if we had to work extra it was unpaid. I used to have to travel to London (from Edinburgh) for meetings and it was taken as part of the job even though if it was an 8 am flight and not back until 7 or 8 pm. It did not matter what level you were either.

I know I am a cynic but it doesn’t matter how good your husband is at his job - you are just a number at the end of the day in so many workplaces.

To be honest if he is worried about his job if he speaks out you will have to decide if it’s worth it - I know it’s unfair.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
tonigary
Imagineer

thanks again. Its an employers paradise now, my husband is too good, I think we will have our holiday in august then he will think about looking for another one

Toni
tonigary is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

it does depend on the contract your husband has. In some contracts it states that you will be paid from stated base eg the yard until you get back to the base. But others in this situation can say things such as the first hour at the end of day day will not be paid but after that it will be. or some say if the job is over x distance away you will be paid. There are just too many variants. He needs to ask for a copy of the contract and then ask for it to be applied. If the employer does not want to abide by the contract then your husband has a choice to make grin and bear it , Make it clear you will leave a job x minutes before to get back to the yard, or leave and consider if he wants to goto a tribunal.
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
I used to work for one of the large banks before retiring. Although in my office they were very flexible if we had to work extra it was unpaid. I used to have to travel to London (from Edinburgh) for meetings and it was taken as part of the job even though if it was an 8 am flight and not back until 7 or 8 pm. It did not matter what level you were either.

I know I am a cynic but it doesn’t matter how good your husband is at his job - you are just a number at the end of the day in so many workplaces.

To be honest if he is worried about his job if he speaks out you will have to decide if it’s worth it - I know it’s unfair.
Sadly I think this is true.
He needs to think VERY carefully before doing anything. He needs to think through how far he will take it and if the relationship falls apart. How dependent is he on this job? etc. etc.

It is easy to get up in arms about stuff like this and act without understanding potential consequences.
tspill is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Rik666
Helping Minnie

My work at the moment is I get paid til the van is back in yard, no matter what time of day/night.
But when I worked for FedEx, I got same salary every week wether I finished at 5pm or 8pm! That's why I don't work for FedEx anymore! (That,and they are a shower of *****! ).
And yes, definitely don't leave the job til u have another lined up.

Edited at 06:28 PM.
Rik666 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

What time will your husband actually get back to the work yard ? How often does this happen ?
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
My husband is a service engineer and gets paid door to door but that is rare and it is written in his contract.
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
babywebb
Apprentice Imagineer

My dh is a water jetter similar thing gets sent on jobs but again can’t bring van home but they always pay him from leaving the yard and returning to the yard regardless of the time , also if he’s in water jetting drainage there are loads of jobs out there looking for skilled jetters
Old 18 Jun 19, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
tonigary
Imagineer

My husband has just rang me, and he will be back in the work yard, in 20 odd minutes, he was lucky today as the job didnt take too long, but he is still not at yard. He will be home about 7.45.
Ericsmum, this can happen alot, getting back to the yard, and no overtime. We have decided, to get our holiday out of the way, and then he will look for another one.
So annoying that employers dont recognise a good worker, as I said before, in 10 years he has had about 1 month off, and that was spread over 10 years.
tonigary is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
nanu
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tonigary View Post
My husband has just rang me, and he will be back in the work yard, in 20 odd minutes, he was lucky today as the job didnt take too long, but he is still not at yard. He will be home about 7.45.
Ericsmum, this can happen alot, getting back to the yard, and no overtime. We have decided, to get our holiday out of the way, and then he will look for another one.
So annoying that employers dont recognise a good worker, as I said before, in 10 years he has had about 1 month off, and that was spread over 10 years.
So your saying he's only ever taken 30ish days holiday over the last 10 years?
1988 New York Penta & Orl. Radisson Maingate 1990 Orl. Marriott I-Drive, Premier Cruise & Cocoa Beach Hilton 1997 Orl. La Suites I-Drive 2002 Orl. Port Orleans Riverside 2006 Las Vegas Luxor 2007 Orl. Port Orleans French Quarter 2010 Orl. Windsor Palms villa 2012 Orl. Rolling Hills villa & RPR Universal 2015 Orl. Indian Creek villa & Naples Bay Resort 2017 Orl. Highlands Reserve villa 2018 Barefoot Beach Resort & Orl. Highgate Park villa
nanu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List