Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > General Chat
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.
Orlando Attraction Tickets
Unread 19 Jun 19, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue BL
Imagineer

Sue BL's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile Portable A/C unit for home

Can I have some recommendations? We can have the windows open for the exhaust type unit.
Sue BL is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jun 19, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
VIP Dibber

We had a portable air con unit years ago for the loft conversion as it gets so hot in there, and it was a disappointment due to the loud noise it made, plus having the vent hanging out of the window which kind of defeats the object of cooling the room.

We fitted the proper split air con units in our bedrooms and have never looked back. They are so quiet and with the windows shut it limits the noise from outside, plus we have comfortable sleeps on the warm nights. They also good for quickly heating the rooms on a cold night.

Might be worth getting a few quotes for a proper split air con unit.
mickey house is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
My lucky wife
Unread 19 Jun 19, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue BL
Imagineer

Sue BL's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
We had a portable air con unit years ago for the loft conversion as it gets so hot in there, and it was a disappointment due to the loud noise it made, plus having the vent hanging out of the window which kind of defeats the object of cooling the room.

We fitted the proper split air con units in our bedrooms and have never looked back. They are so quiet and with the windows shut it limits the noise from outside, plus we have comfortable sleeps on the warm nights. They also good for quickly heating the rooms on a cold night.

Thanks. You might be right. The bedroom is in a south facing dormer. Its currently 30 up there behind the closed curtains. 😁
Sue BL is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jun 19, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Sue BL View Post
Thanks. You might be right. The bedroom is in a south facing dormer. Its currently 30 up there behind the closed curtains. 😁
Wow that is warm considering the temperature outside is much lower. Trust me it really is money well spent to get a good nights sleep. Also when people are having BBQs/parties in the garden in the summer, we close our windows and cutains and it blocks most of it out. Even our old girl spaniel sleeps well having the air con on and isn't panting.

That said, we have a comfortable temperature set on our air con units, so we don't have it like some of the shops/restaurants in Florida do, to the point you are shivering it's so cold.
mickey house is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
My lucky wife
Unread 19 Jun 19, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Spooky
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post

Did you use a local company? I am planning split air con units for our house move this (when we find one!)...I know appliances direct can do installation, but I'm not sure how competitve this is!.
Spooky is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jun 19, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
We have a portable unit. For the window vent we had a piece of clear perspex made with a hole that fitted the tube. It clips onto the window when the Ac is being used. This eliminates the loss of coolness through the window however it is still too noisy for us so we have had a full outside system fitted this year. DD is having the portable one for her flat.
We used a local company for the split system and installation.

Edited at 01:33 PM.
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jun 19, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Serious Dibber

We are another couple who bought a portable unit - it was way, way too noisy to be able to sleep with it on so we had a split system installed and have never looked back - we love it.

Back to the magic - Sept 19 @ Coronado Springs Resort
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Deep South Roadtrip & Coronado Springs!
Unread 19 Jun 19, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
Did you use a local company? I am planning split air con units for our house move this (when we find one!)...I know appliances direct can do installation, but I'm not sure how competitve this is!.
I have no idea of cost I'm afraid, but I would guess around 1500 all in. That is based on one of the main makes of units being used and not some unknown rubbish. As always where you live can make a difference to cost, and the size of the room the unit is going in will dictate the cost.

I have my condenser units on the wall at the back of the house, but as Ive got a flat roof kitchen so it's nice and straightforward for access.

I did the electrics myself and was fortunate that the guy who did mine works for a company full time, so he did mine at the weekends and wasn't overly expensive.

I would call a few people from the likes of Checkatrade to get quotes.

Edited at 02:27 PM.
My lucky wife
Florida Tix