Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 30 Sep 16, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Anyone had surgery for fibroids/hysterectomy?

Had a bit of a traumatic time lately.

I went to see my GP with pretty constant period like pain and he said he could feel a "mass" in my abdomen.

Fast forward an MRI scan and a couple of consultant appointments and it turns out I have a 20cm fibroid, which is the size of a watermelon!

I'd never even heard of a fibroid so had to google!

Due to it's size, I have to have a hysterectomy next month, and it's unlikely they will be able to do a bikini line incision, it might be a vertical one

Does anyone have any similar experiences they can share with me to put my mind at rest as I'm trying to be positive, but feeling quite nervous and obviously still in pain!

Thanks
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 16, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Yes, I have a suspected faulty gene that meant I developed breast (twice) and ovarian cancer, all primaries. In 2001 as part of my prevention plan I had a sub total hysterectomy. I agreed to this move on the understanding the surgeon left my cervix... I am incredibly lucky and so appreciate being alive. I'm not sure how you would feel about a sub total, my sister who also developed fibroids opted for a sub total. May I suggest you discuss this aspect with your consultant. Some, not all, but some can encounter issues where other organs drop following a full on hysterectomy.

I am even more fortunate as I lost over 2 pints of blood on the table, my consultant had scalpel in hand to remove my cervix when he stemmed the bleed. Unfortunately I did develop MRSA but that was secondary to the surgery, hospitals made significant in-roads regarding cleanliness and it was just one of those things. I beat that too.

You'll be fine Glee, discuss all aspects to understand what's involved and don't be afraid to say how you feel and how you want to proceed. Good luck girl, it'll take some recovery time to get back to full fitness, but you will, plus you'll feel so much better once the fibroids are removed.

Edited at 09:28 PM.
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 16, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
PJB71
Imagineer

Mobile

I'm really sorry I can't offer you any advise but just wanted to wish you lots of luck 😘
PJB71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 16, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaju&bob
Imagineer

Hi sorry to hear your troubles. I'm probably not much help but I did have this done only it was over 20 years ago! I had a slightly bigger than a grapefruit fibroid, so was advised to have a hysterectomy. I was lucky and had bikini line incision. But I do have to say it was the best thing I had done. I had gone passed the 'wanting anymore babies' so that wasn't an issue. I was in a few days then about 12 weeks off work with no heavy lifting for a few weeks ( time wise things might have changed now). Felt so much better afterwards plus bonus of no more monthlys - sorry probably too much info.
I wish you well and I'm sure you will feel a lot better once you've had the op. Xx
PO Riverside 2002 2007 2009 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 (2017) 2018 2019 2020
Animal Kingdom 2006
Floridaju&bob is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 16, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
It is a worrying time and hope everything goes well for you. I had my hysterectomy 3 years ago. It was a full abdominal hysterectomy removing everything- ovaries, womb,cervix. I too had almost constant horrendous pain and had several large masses that at the original appointment were described as size of grapefruits but after the op I was told more melons ! I can honestly say operation was best thing ever ! Like pp says I was past more children, I was 46, so that wasn't a problem. No more pain, no more monthly to worry about and I recovered really quickly. Could not drive for 6 weeks and went back to work after 10.
My life line at the time was the hysterectomy association web site and their forum. It was so helpful and chatting to other women going through it at the same time was a real help. It was a bit like a hysterectomy dibb!
Good luck with everything !
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 16, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago for fibroids and other complications. Like you I was nervous, but can honestly say it was not half as bad as I thought. I have a vertical scar but its barely visible now and not many people see me naked thank goodness Think I was a little surprised at how weak I felt afterwards and frustrated and not being able to do too much. Just think no more problems and pain once you have had the op. Hope it all goes ok and sending you lots of hugs x
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 16, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
fudgie
Imagineer

I had an ovarian cyst of a similar size to your fibroid and also severe endometriosis so had to have a hysterectomy eight years ago. I had a big vertical incision which meant I had no core muscles after the surgery but I did everything the medical team told me to and had regained alot of my strength about a month after the op. The physiotherapist gave me pelvic floor exercises to do and they were very beneficial.

Mine was an emergency operation which was pretty traumatic but apart from the immediate onset of the menopause it was life changing in a good way. Being pain free is very liberating
fudgie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 16, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post

My daughter had a hysterectomy for stage 4 endo eighteen months ago. Took her about six months to completely recover, although she was doing fairly well after 2 months. There's a chat area online called "hystersisters" that she found an absolute godsend. As she got post surgery "symptoms" she looked on there and nearly always someone was saying at day xx I was feeling -----, just what she was feeling. She found it very reassuring that what she was experiencing other had the same.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 16, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I had a radical hysterectomy five years ago due to cervical cancer. I too discovered Hystersisters and found this a brilliant place to read others stories and symptoms. It did take a good 3 months to recover from surgery and I was back at work 10 weeks after the op. Wishing you lots of luck xx
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 16, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Mobile

Wow! So many stories, great advice and good wishes. You can always rely on the Dibb! Thanks everyone. I'll properly read through all of the replies again tomorrow, I'm pretty shattered now, but I do appreciate the time you've all taken to respond x
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread