Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Mar 18, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile Best alternative to the Revolut?

In 2016 we used the Revolut are with no issues. I've just looked on another thread and also been on their site where you can now only withdraw $200 in a month before being charged 2%...were there for 19 days most of which with be in august so barely any cross over into another September, which means lots of 2% charges!

What's the best alternative? We have a Halifax clarity card already but like to have a few different options.

Help!

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 18, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
3family
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I’m sure others will be along with card recommendations soon but what I’d suggest you do is get a card each for you and your partner. That’s 400 free

Then pay for everything with the card. Family of 3 last year and we spent less than 200 in cash for 2 weeks
Old 23 Mar 18, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
99plums
Imagineer

Sorry for jumping the thread, I have a revolut but have not yet used it in anger.
Is it true that I have to 'activate' it by using it in a cash machine before I can pay for goods with it?
99plums is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 18, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
djy
Getting Excited

Yes I think so, I loaded £10 on it, went to the cash machine and withdrew it, mainly to check it worked with my pin number and the card worked. Used it in USA and europe with no problems.
Old 23 Mar 18, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by 99plums View Post
Sorry for jumping the thread, I have a revolut but have not yet used it in anger.
Is it true that I have to 'activate' it by using it in a cash machine before I can pay for goods with it?
Yes you do. I loaded £10 on it and activated it by withdrawing the £10

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 18, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Lovesholidays
Imagineer

Lovesholidays's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
I have the FairFX card, always used it ok in the US no problems and withdrew everyday.
Lovesholidays is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 18, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
dst87
Excited about Disney

You won't need cash anywhere in Florida, other than a few dollars for tipping MDE driver or Housekeeping staff!

Why not just use your Halifax Clarity card to pay for stuff? We have a couple of options for free foreign spend, including the Lloyds Avios Duo (no longer sold) and the Nationwide FlexPlus debit card (for occasional cash withdrawals) and the Nationwide Select credit card for spending.

We also have the Curve card which is quite good in the UK, but charges 1% on non-Sterling transactions. Better than 2% but still not ideal given the availability of 0% options.
dst87 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 18, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
ElliotReevey
Helping Mickey

Originally Posted by 99plums View Post
I loaded mine with £200 converted it to $. I then used it to buy a Metro card in NYC (business trip) and it worked fine. I haven't been to any cash machines.
ElliotReevey is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 18, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
kirkdalewdw
Imagineer

we have a Starling back account, not ATM fees from Starling to withdraw cash and no conversion fee if you pay with the card. You can keep track of spending with the app and you are getting close to the interbank rate at the moment you pay.
kirkdalewdw is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 18, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Imagineer

Same, we used Revolut last time and were planning on this time untill the WDL limit changed, I will still load some one probably $500 or so (as we span 2 months May & June) but we have got a Starling card this year
OLS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List