Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 7 Jun 19, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
annieh
Trying for More Ears

I must admit I am surprised some sort of back up info isn't required, this could be all sorts of things - not necessarily a doctors note. For example on a recent trip to Alton Towers my husbands blue badge was enough, although he did have SSI registration and Guide Dog ID too, we've also had to provide copies of PIP entitlement to some places such as Arenas and Silverstone race circuit.

There's maybe a happy place in the middle somewhere, that doesn't disadvantage the many for the sake of the idiot few - otherwise it ends up like Universal, no empathy and a substandard service.
annieh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Originally Posted by annieh View Post
I must admit I am surprised some sort of back up info isn't required, this could be all sorts of things - not necessarily a doctors note. For example on a recent trip to Alton Towers my husbands blue badge was enough, although he did have SSI registration and Guide Dog ID too, we've also had to provide copies of PIP entitlement to some places such as Arenas and Silverstone race circuit.

There's maybe a happy place in the middle somewhere, that doesn't disadvantage the many for the sake of the idiot few - otherwise it ends up like Universal, no empathy and a substandard service.
Trouble is the US law is pretty firm on it. You can't ask for anything to "prove" it and therefore you can't really get around people being able to abuse it.
Old 7 Jun 19, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Kem99
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by TC Devon View Post
I had a letter for our daughter I wish it was asked for. It was from our paeds consultant. Outlined her disability and issue. I hate the idea that people look at us- and think ‘there’s nothing wrong with them.’ Autism is an invisible issue- until they meltdown. Then the whole world knows!
She’s not great with rides so often bottles it at last minute and quite literally runs away.
On top of that Im now being investigated for bowel illness. So long queues are a big problem for me now- if I’ve got to go I’ve got to go! We’ve only ever used DAS on one visit for our daughter.
I have a letter also for my son and say to them that I know proof isn't needed but I don't mind them seeing it. They have always looked at it, thanked me and issued it without further questions.
Old 7 Jun 19, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
annieh
Trying for More Ears

Given some of the info some UK organisations ask for sometimes, it feels so suprising that the US would go as far as to knowingly allow a percentage to abuse the system, for the sake of some low level information to be provided to support your request? This does give me some context that helps to understand the disgusting treatment we had from Universal this time round.
annieh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by annieh View Post
Given some of the info some UK organisations ask for sometimes, it feels so suprising that the US would go as far as to knowingly allow a percentage to abuse the system, for the sake of some low level information to be provided to support your request? This does give me some context that helps to understand the disgusting treatment we had from Universal this time round.
Can I ask what your experience with universal was? I didn’t go for an assistance pass last time because we were only there a day and a half and the waits were all short but I was going to get one next visit.

DLP | June 2015 | Dec 2016 | Sept 2017 | Oct 2017 | Nov 2018

WDW | April 2009 | Feb 2019
dreamisawish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Just to add, I believe I’ve read on the Dibb and other sites that it is possible to be turned down for a DAS if they do believe you are being fraudulent.

The requirements are that you can explain why you need one. You don’t need to name your condition but you need to be able to make a case about what the DAS would mean to you, how it would help, why you can’t use another aid like a wheelchair or mobility scooter instead, etc. I have seen people be turned down.

I suppose though if your story is good enough then you still get away with the lie, but it’s not just a complete free for all.
dreamisawish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
annieh
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by dreamisawish View Post
Can I ask what your experience with universal was? I didn’t go for an assistance pass last time because we were only there a day and a half and the waits were all short but I was going to get one next visit.
It was very poor, to keep a very long story short. My husband is blind and really struggles with some of the queue areas and the load areas. We've had a Universal card before, to be fair it's much the same as everywhere else - the main benefit to hubby is the shorter more direct route to get to the ride and on some rides they have different load areas. No problems in any other parks, but Universal wouldn't help they said it's up to the staff at the rides - which as in most things some staff are more aware/helpful/better trained than others. We found there was an underlying attitude of 'not our problem' to be polite. Bascially, we won't be visiting again, but this discussion, for me, has made me think that if there's an acceptance that some people are not using the assistance system honestly (which is horrendous as the vast majority do, and it can make all the difference to your visit), then it maybe goes someway to giving a context to the attitude we encountered at Universal.
Old 7 Jun 19, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
scojos
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ambermark View Post
See I would much rather be asked to hand over a drs letter or pip claim than have to stand and explain everything. That feels more discriminatory to me :/
Me too. So i have asd. Everyone knows classic issues with asd so no need to explain.
I have *** insert wierd and wonderful illness.
This means i cant ****** insert as appropriate.
Who decides if my unknown illness is less suitable than yours?
Why does anyone have to justify an illness?
Im getting anxiety and panic attacks about them refusing before i even get there😞😞😞 the irony...
scojos is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Ambermark View Post
I’m hoping to ring up and try and sort it out before I get there. I reallllllly don’t think my hubby wants me to list all the weird and wonderful things he has wrong with him, including all the embarrassing problems.
Plus once I’m done they usually look at him with a face that says ‘how are you not dead?’ Which I find funny but he does not lol
I hope they can sort it for you ahead of time but if not then just wanted to let you know all the guest services places we went into - one in Epcot and one in MK- work on a ‘wait behind this line until you are called forward’ system, like a bank. I honestly couldn’t have overheard anyone in front of us with the music and general chatter of the people in the queue.

Also I didn’t have to say all that much. I’d mentally prepared this whole speech about why I needed it and I barely got past ‘I wanted to ask for a DAS because I find it hard to stand’ and it was issued.

Just to make you feel better in case they can’t help over the phone, you don’t seem to need to be too in-depth.
Old 7 Jun 19, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by scojos View Post
Me too. So i have asd. Everyone knows classic issues with asd so no need to explain.
I have *** insert wierd and wonderful illness.
This means i cant ****** insert as appropriate.
Who decides if my unknown illness is less suitable than yours?
Why does anyone have to justify an illness?
Im getting anxiety and panic attacks about them refusing before i even get there😞😞😞 the irony...
I don’t know if this helps- I also was so nervous before going to Guest Services to ask for one about being turned away- but you don’t need to mention the name of your illness/disability, or even how it affects you. You just need to say why you need the DAS. Therefore they can’t be discriminatory based on one illness versus another.

I actually did say what was wrong with me because I felt it sounded less like I was lying, going back to feeling guilty for not having evidence, but with how easy getting one was I don’t think I needed to actually say what I had.

Also if worst comes to absolute worst you can ask again at another guest services kiosk at any park, they don’t black list you for trying once and being unsuccessful.

Though I think you would really have to seem un-needing of one to be turned away, as people have mentioned before, disability discrimination laws are so tight in the US Disney could be sued for turning disabled people away from accessing a DAS so they have to be careful.

DLP | June 2015 | Dec 2016 | Sept 2017 | Oct 2017 | Nov 2018

WDW | April 2009 | Feb 2019