Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 12 Jan 18, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
puffer
a Friend of the DIBB

Mobile Driving from MIA to Kissimmie

Hi folks looking for some info/tips. My party are flying into Miami driving to Jupiter that night then completing the journey to Kissimmie the following day.
I'm picking up my vehicle from Dollar and would like info on the do's and don'ts on paying for tolls on the trip up.
Many thanks.
puffer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 18, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Dont pay any tolls and use US-27. Nicer drive and much easier due to the lack of traffic. You can get onto it right ar the car hire centre. And it is often faster due to no traffic jams.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 18, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
djy
Getting Excited

From Jupiter take the 710 to join the 27 . As stated the 27 is a nice relaxing road.Much more to see and places to stop for a break
Old 13 Jan 18, 02:11 AM  
Link to this Post
ianc
Apprentice Imagineer

I would have said US27 too - if you were going straight from the airport. However, by going up to Jupiter you are going a bit too far up the coast to get most of the benefit of the US27. You can still go up the I-95 (no tolls) to the US192 (which goes through Kissimmee) or possibly cut across on the US60. Part of the way, the I-95 and Turnpike are actually next to each other.
If you are rich and really are determined to pay a toll, the Florida Turnpike has its own web site with details. I think you'll find the unmanned sections are further south, so you can just pay cash.
I find GoogleMaps excellent for plotting routes (plus much more - traffic, times/distances, streetview, restaurants, sites, etc).
ianc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 18, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
puffer
a Friend of the DIBB

Mobile

Thanks folks, any tips on the MIA - Jupiter leg to avoid tolls?
puffer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 18, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by puffer View Post
Thanks folks, any tips on the MIA - Jupiter leg to avoid tolls?
Is there any specific reason you are going to Jupiter?
What time are you arriving in MIA.

Unfortunately MIA can be a horrible place with long immigration lines at times and chaotic baggage halls. The best tip is to know that this might happen and accept it before you go and make a point nit to get frustrated. Then if all goes well it will be a bonus.

The Car rental centre is quite a bit away from the terminal - it bit of a train ride and walk. But it is easy and well sign posts.
Also look at google maps to get your route in your head as you dont want to get lost.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 18, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
puffer
a Friend of the DIBB

Mobile

Hi tspill, flying with AerLingus so I'll have cleared immigration. Don't get in till 19:15 so didn't fancy a 3+ HR drive after the flight. Thought half way was the best option so Jupiter seemed the obvious choice.
I have a satnav so shd be fine for route mainly wanted toll advice, whether to buy a sunpass or equivalent. I've heard horror stories about excessive charges.
Old 13 Jan 18, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
From Jupiter I'd go up I-95, get off I-95 when it meets the 192 ... that'll take you straight into Kissimmee.
Juliemack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 18, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by puffer View Post
Hi tspill, flying with AerLingus so I'll have cleared immigration. Don't get in till 19:15 so didn't fancy a 3+ HR drive after the flight. Thought half way was the best option so Jupiter seemed the obvious choice.
I have a satnav so shd be fine for route mainly wanted toll advice, whether to buy a sunpass or equivalent. I've heard horror stories about excessive charges.
OK - if you are not dead set on Jupiter, I would be going up US27 and maybe stopping at somewhere like Clewiston or around Lake Okeechobee.
When using MIA we stay overnight in the Sofitel at the airport and collect the car at around 5:30am the next morning having breakfast along the way.
Old 14 Jan 18, 12:35 AM  
Link to this Post
puffer
a Friend of the DIBB

Mobile

Hey Tspill, Jupiter already booked.