Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 Jul 19, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
littlesam21
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile This seems like a pretty good deal?! But your the experts

Hiya
I have been researching holidays now for about a month! For 6 adults and 2 children (3 & 20 months) Comparing DIY and package holidays. I contacted Virgin to see what the quote would come out with them and was quite surprised. We want to stay at AKL for a week and a villa for a week.
Virgin have quoted £2497 per adult (plus £229 for our baby boy who will be 20 months when we go next year)
This price includes 1 week AKL with Disney dining, 14 day tickets, flights, villa and car.
Do you think this is a good deal?
It may be important to add our son has a medical condition and we never know how and when this may affect our travel which is one of the reasons I’m thinking package holiday may be less risk for us.

When I do DIY with a luxury villa the price is probably around £250 cheaper and for us the security of a package holiday would be worth the extra.

Any advice or help you may have would be much appreciated 😁
Old 22 Jul 19, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
THOscar
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by littlesam21 View Post
Hiya
I have been researching holidays now for about a month! For 6 adults and 2 children (3 & 20 months) Comparing DIY and package holidays. I contacted Virgin to see what the quote would come out with them and was quite surprised. We want to stay at AKL for a week and a villa for a week.
Virgin have quoted £2497 per adult (plus £229 for our baby boy who will be 20 months when we go next year)
This price includes 1 week AKL with Disney dining, 14 day tickets, flights, villa and car.
Do you think this is a good deal?
It may be important to add our son has a medical condition and we never know how and when this may affect our travel which is one of the reasons I’m thinking package holiday may be less risk for us.

When I do DIY with a luxury villa the price is probably around £250 cheaper and for us the security of a package holiday would be worth the extra.

Any advice or help you may have would be much appreciated 😁
When would you be travelling? Travel dates impact on quotes significantly.

Have you looked at other companies like Charter, Kenwood, Pillinger etc? I rarely find Virgin come out best for quotes.
THOscar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
littlesam21
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by THOscar View Post
When would you be travelling? Travel dates impact on quotes significantly.

Have you looked at other companies like Charter, Kenwood, Pillinger etc? I rarely find Virgin come out best for quotes.
Yes that would help wouldn’t it oops! Travelling end of September, 1st week of October.
Thanks
Sam
Old 22 Jul 19, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

Is that £250 cheaper each, or total, and is the DIY like for like. I have seen many times people say the TA isnt much different, but when you look closer the DIY had more added.
Virgin are expensive but maybe worth going into a store as well or try haggling on the phone. Staff can offer extra discount and then if they want they can request even more manager discount.
If you can price cheaper DIY but you prefer package holiday, then tell Virgin this and see what they can do.

A package holiday has no difference for pre existing medical conditions vs DIY, so you may want to price travel insurance first and see if its an excluded in included condition.
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Inky
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Virgin offered us 500 off their quote by they were still 1300 more expensive than charter travel with the 500 discount
Inky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

To me that sounds a little expensive. This year for the same time you’re planning next year we’ve paid £2300pp (2 adults) for:

Virgin direct flights
7 nights at CSR with upgrade to DDP with 14 day tickets and $100 gift card
9 nights at Cabana Bay poolside room
Universal 14 day tickets
Discovery cove ultimate tickets
HHN tickets

If yours included all of the above tickets I’d be thinking it sounds right, but without them I think it’s a touch high.

Edited at 10:50 AM.
orlandoamber is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post

You can book flights/AKL as a package through a travel agent then sort the villa off site out yourself. We used Travel Planners last year 24 July - 6 Aug 2 weeks school hols - indirect flights on United, cars x 2 and 6 bed exec villa Championsgate for £6,592 (for 7A + 1 child) and we sorted a gulf coast villa ourselves, United have free seat reservations and 23kg hold luggage per person. I couldn't do this any cheaper DIY and I have been doing DIY for 20+years. Also we only paid £100 per person at time of booking and balance 8 weeks before departure. We also bought parks tickets ourselves.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Mobile

That sounds a lot to me...in comparison we have booked 2 weeks at AKL with Disney dining, tickets, a $300 gift card and flying PE both ways for about $2540 per adult. That’s going 26/9/20 with TC. No car hire though as we are staying at Disney for the whole 2 weeks.
Princess Ariel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
littlesam21
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by orlandoamber View Post
To me that sounds a little expensive. This year for the same time you’re planning next year we’ve paid £2300pp (2 adults) for:

Virgin direct flights
7 nights at CSR with upgrade to DDP with 14 day tickets and $100 gift card
9 nights at Cabana Bay poolside room
Universal 14 day tickets
Discovery cove ultimate tickets
HHN tickets

If yours included all of the above tickets I’d be thinking it sounds right, but without them I think it’s a touch high.
Wow that is an amazing deal! If you don’t mind me asking who did you book with and was it package or DIY? Thanks
Old 22 Jul 19, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
littlesam21
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by aitchieaitchie View Post
You can book flights/AKL as a package through a travel agent then sort the villa off site out yourself. We used Travel Planners last year 24 July - 6 Aug 2 weeks school hols - indirect flights on United, cars x 2 and 6 bed exec villa Championsgate for £6,592 (for 7A + 1 child) and we sorted a gulf coast villa ourselves, United have free seat reservations and 23kg hold luggage per person. I couldn't do this any cheaper DIY and I have been doing DIY for 20+years. Also we only paid £100 per person at time of booking and balance 8 weeks before departure. We also bought parks tickets ourselves.
I tried to book just the hotel and flights then villa separate but the travel agents kept saying they couldn’t book the return flights a week later! And that we would have to pay full now for the flights ?