Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 9 May 14, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post

I always feel really stressed when we arrive. We nearly always have an argument on the first night as we are so tired but excited to be there as well... if that makes sense. Last time we took the wrong turn on way to airport (even though we have done it many times before ) and DH blamed me... he was driving and then I got all upset, it was a nightmare and then when we got to hotel the room was awful and we had to swap. But by the following morning everything was fine. x
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 14, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Both DH and I have now learnt NOT to say ANYTHING between picking up the car and being well on the road to the villa or hotel

4 years ago we went to Jamaica and had booked a specific type of room. The room we were given was not what I was expecting and I burst into tears - and spent the whole night in tears too I was soo looking forward to a fabulous sea view and we got a view of the next building

Needless to say the next morning it was all sorted but I now really dont like arrivals in case I am dissapointed

Relax - as everyone else has said once you wake up you'll wonder what ever was the matter.

Katie x
katiec68 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 14, 08:51 AM  
Link to this Post
GrumpyDopey&Me
Imagineer

GrumpyDopey&Me's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Honest, first night is terrible and the last holiday we had just us and a 10 month old was the most stressful time of my life. But the next day waking up there, going onto the hotel balcony I just instantly relaxed. You will be fine
GrumpyDopey&Me is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 14, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Sandieb View Post
I think its because planning a trip to Florida is quite different to most of holidays we plan in that with the others its a shorter flight and we usually have transport arranged at the other side and we are taken to the resort. We don't have to plan anything in advance, no park tickets to buy, no evening shows, unlikely to do any shopping, no car insurance, no ESTA's, no Jet Lag, little time difference etc etc etc

Also, its a blinking expensive holiday for most people compared to going to Portugal, Egypt or similar. So it has to be perfect.

And if any part of it turns out to be less than perfect, we get stressed.

And with so many aspects involved in a Florida holiday, something is bound to go wrong.

Totally agree with this! I was so stressed about ADRs last time that I didn't really relax at all. I think next time we'll only book 2 or 3 table service.
Old 9 May 14, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post

Our very first trip in '92 we arrived after dark. We picked up the hire car and had vague instructions of how to find our hotel. We went the wrong way and finished up in Kissimmee - signing back then was appalling. We were staying at the top of I Drive! We had an almighty row. By the following morning it was all forgotten and we wheeled into MGM Studios (as it was then)in complete amazement.
At least we weren't as bad as another couple - they picked up their car and drove... all the way to Miami !
Old 9 May 14, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post

My son likes routines one of the things he likes to do is to get a sandwich at EoS after we arrive. It's ok if it's blazing sunshine but trogging through DTD in a thunderstorm to go to an incredibly busy restaurant after a transatlantic flight was enough to tip me over the edge a few years back. Both me and dh ended up rowing and cases were being unpacked then re packed lol
I bet there's loads of dibbers end up rowing on that first day.

Edited at 09:00 AM.
Old 9 May 14, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Libby29
Imagineer

Originally Posted by katiec68 View Post
Both DH and I have now learnt NOT to say ANYTHING between picking up the car and being well on the road to the villa or hotel

4 years ago we went to Jamaica and had booked a specific type of room. The room we were given was not what I was expecting and I burst into tears - and spent the whole night in tears too I was soo looking forward to a fabulous sea view and we got a view of the next building

Needless to say the next morning it was all sorted but I now really dont like arrivals in case I am dissapointed

Relax - as everyone else has said once you wake up you'll wonder what ever was the matter.

Katie x
I can SO relate to this one, it's best not to even look at each other
There's nothing worse, a long flight an awkward immigration officer, getting lost on the way to the villa, THEN... Find the villa is awful..I hate the first landing feeling. There's always stress!
I remember one time getting to the villa & it was awful. Turned on the lights & the cockroaches were running all over the walls. Well that was it! We slept with cases in the car(in case they crawled in). Fully clothed on the bed with one eye open ha! It was all resolved in the morning. (Although the rep said, "most Brits are happy with a pool"!).. NOT THE RIGHT WAY TO DEAL WITH IT. I wouldn't live like that at home so I certainly wasn't going to pay to live like that.:angry:

Another time, arriving in Boston, hired a sat nav. The hotel was ten minutes away, the sat nav took us the wrong way over a bridge through a toll, an hour and a half later .. we found the hotel..
It's all memory making I suppose..
Have a great time .

Edited at 09:11 AM.
Libby29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 14, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by beautybutterfly View Post
Me and OH have never been to Florida before and we've just arrived, after an 8 hour flight and an hours transfer to our villa I feel so stressed its unreal, does the feeling subside a little?
If you think thats stressful you haven't seen our journey.

3 hour drive to airport.
4 hour wait and immigration.
7 hour flight.
2 hour wait.
2 hour flight.
Old 9 May 14, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
rens
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Don't think I've ever had a great first night...
First trip we got to the villa knackered after being lost for a while and then the inlaws decided we should all go out and do a big shop- queue 2 sulky, sleep deprieved hours in Publix.
Second trip- Had no idea how to find our hotel so had to pull over into a carpark off the 192 to re-read maps by the light of our mobile phones. Que first heated "discussion" of the holiday.
Third trip- We flew in-direct with US Airways and I don't think anyone talked to each other from the time we left Charlotte- too tired for pleasantries.
Upcoming trip- don't land in New York until after 8pm with an airline thats renowned for long delays. We've then got to get a shuttle then a bus to get over to New Jersey. I've already got our first holiday argument pencilled in on the spreadsheet
rens is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 14, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
maznorm
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Ah, that first night feeling. When you think you should be excited and happy and all you want to do is eat, sleep and kill everybody you are travelling with!

Don't worry you will feel a lot better in the morning. And by morning I mean 4am!

Have fun!
maznorm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread