Notices

Old 22 Apr 18, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Cutiepie
Imagineer

Sounds like a fantastic trip with lots of time for relaxing.

I also took redundancy from a well known high street bank about 19 months ago after 17 years service. No regrets and I am currently still at home may look for something part -time when the kids go back to school in Sept but no plans yet as its nearly summer

Looking forward to your report
Cutiepie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 18, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Diz
Apprentice Imagineer

Looks like an excellent trip I will follow along as have really enjoyed your previous trip reports. We are also Florida bound with no Disney this year and looking to do a few different things. Never heard of kings landing and kayaking will definitely have to look at that.

We have done AMI twice. Rod and Reel Pier and Sandbar both good. Sandbar I think a little expensive for what it is but it is all really about the setting so we thought worth it.
Diz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 18, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Mobile

Sounds great. Definitely go for the redundancy. Love the idea of moving around Florida.
Old 22 Apr 18, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Sounds like a great trip!
margyloveswdw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 18, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

I am so looking forward to your trip report. Sounds like a fabulous plan. We are also staying at the Grand Plaza in st Pete for 4 nights in the summer and we are also not doing Disney this time. Sending the pixie dust for gardening leave x

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 18, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

We stayed at the Grand Plaza for a couple of nights last September. We dined in the Spinners Revolving Rooftop Restaurant on the first night and Bongo's Beach Bar on the second night. Both of which we enjoyed. I booked Spinners on the hotel website months before we went which proved to be a good idea as it was full. If you do go tell them its a special evening and ask if they can seat you so that your table is looking out over the beach at sunset. Bongo's Beach Bar serves typical American food right on the beach and the portions were big. If you want more info pm me.
I've followed your adventures for the last couple of holidays and I enjoy reading your diary.

Edited at 03:13 PM.
7SeasSailor is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 18, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Great pre trip report, love the sound of your plans.

I'm another one who thinks you're doing the right thing taking redundancy and fingers crossed for your garden leave
Old 22 Apr 18, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Aliloo
Getting Excited

I too took redundancy from a high street bank after 18 years and retrained as a teacher. Opting to go was the hardest decision ever so well done for getting this far! Fingers crossed for garden leave, the waiting is a nightmare!
Aliloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 18, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
That all sounds perfect to me! Xx
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 18, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishnellie
VIP Dibber

scottishnellie's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by eleele View Post
As to the redundancy I don't think you will regret it, take the opportunity as you never know what lemons life will throw at you (I had one thrown at me last year and it brings everything back into focus that life is for living now) If you hate been at home you can always find something else with less stress and possibly a new focus. !
That’s so true

Originally Posted by floridasarah View Post
Sounds like a fantastic trip Helen. And a good decision on your redundancy. Its a bit scary, same happened to me in 2013 although we had no choice, but it has turned out to be the best thing, I am now in another job I like (although a bit stressful at the moment) and the redundancy money helped us go back to our 2nd home a few more times.

I am looking forward to you report
Thanks Sarah. It’s encouraging to hear other folks post redundancy stories.

Originally Posted by Cherrypie View Post
Looks fab - celebration is deffo worth a visit. Will you be doing any Disney springs or Disney boardwalk? It might add another a sprinkle of Disney in the mix xx
I am trying to persuade DH to do the Star Wars VR so its highly likely we will yeah

Originally Posted by panspeep View Post
If you fancy seeing a bit more of the area around AMI, I would recommend a Segway tour, it takes you over the bridge and around some of the residential areas and the houses are amazing, our boy was 9 when we did it and loved it. We used segs by the sea in Bradenton.
That Segway tour sounds great. Will look into that 👍

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
I do look forward to your trip reports !
I too was made redundant after 28 years (with HMRC) It took a bit of getting used to working somewhere new but it’s nice being able to walk to work now ! Sometimes you don’t realise you needed the change until after.
Aw thanks . Ooh it would be amazing to work somewhere I could walk to. No more city commutes. Will add that to the wishlist!

Originally Posted by JanetteParker View Post
Great pre-trip report. I think you've definitely made the right decision with the redundancy. I retired at 50 after 20 years in the same job, and I've never looked back. I have UC, and I decided too that I didn't need the stress. I do have a hobby of couponing and bargain hunting, and that keeps me very busy indeed, together with planning our Florida trips. I love your idea of resort hopping, something I need to do too. I agree with Cherrypie - a trip to Disney Springs is a must - perhaps use a Landry's card or two for a meal at TRex or Rainforest Café - or just for a walk around in the evening. Have a great trip Helen.
That sounds so similar to me. Thanks

Helen xx

Here's a link to all my previous trip reports since 2015
trip report list by year
scottishnellie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List