Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 May 19, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

My dd went last year and is returning this year. Her camp is in the middle of nowhere so they only went to a largish shop the first week.

Other days off were in small villages near camp. I sent her some supplies via Amazon prime as she couldn’t get to a Walmart.
She did a trek America afterwards and then travelled to Orlando to meet a friend.

I was totally impressed with her ability to travel and manage herself all summer
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Jet
Imagineer

Ds2 done Camp America years ago...he is 40 now!
He loved it...his Camp was Pookeepsie New York...and he did his after tour in Canada...a place he fell in love with and went there for his honeymoon.
This was in the day before mobile phones ...Whats app...online ordering etc.
He lost his camera whilst there so we bought a new one and sent it to him with extra money inside for his travels😂

Edited at 11:27 AM.
Jet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
EmmaBolan
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
My dd is off in a few weeks. She went last year and is returning to the same camp.

She has to fill out a tax form but I don’t think she had to pay anything. Mind you she didn’t earn very much.
Originally Posted by Mymemories View Post
My boys did CA for 4 years both at the same camp as they loved it so much.

In order to save weight in their suitcases I used to buy all their toiletries ie shower gel, toothpaste, shaving gel, deodorant, bug spray and sun screen on Amazon.com about a week before they left and got it shipped direct to the camp. I also bought a blanket for them as well as although CA advises you to take sheets and pillowcase it can get very cold in the evenings at some of these camps early in the season.

The youngest paid tax on his wages last year (the eldest didn’t go)
My brother went last year & is off again in 4 weeks! He had an amazing time last summer, but unfortunately our Grandad passed away during that time, so a little bit of a rough patch for him. I'm glad he's going back though, he's off back to the same camp too Don't think I'll miss him as much this time though - last year was hard as we moved to Leeds at the same time & then he was gone & I felt quite alone for 3 months!

Great idea about Amazon for toiletries!
EmmaBolan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Brave5
Apprentice Imagineer

I'm American my Husband is English - we met working at the same camp (he did Camp America). We are returning to the camp this summer to celebrate our 20th anniversary! My DH started in 1988 and I started in 1989
Brave5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 19, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
rfckaty
Getting Excited

rfckaty's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I'm so jealous, I done 3 summers at camp and i'm not returning this year. He'll make loads of new friends and have an amazing time both at camp and travelling

Rangers Then, Rangers Now, Rangers Forever WATP

R.I.P Leah Wilby ~ GBNF
rfckaty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 19, 08:20 AM  
Link to this Post
BarrettFamily
VIP Dibber

Mobile

DS is struggling a bit. He is more homesick than he expected. He fell when learning to ride and sprained his ankle. They have been told they have a week off between terms, this is the 4th of July week, they have to leave camp and sort out their own food and accommodation. That is making me a bit angry. DS is now worrying about having enough money for the travelling he wants to do at the end.
WDW All Stars Movies 2001- 10th Anniversary
WDW Carribean Beach Resort 2006
WDW All Stars Music 2008
WDW Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa 2018 - 50th Birthday Celebration with Mum.
BarrettFamily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 19, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Originally Posted by BarrettFamily View Post
DS is struggling a bit. He is more homesick than he expected. He fell when learning to ride and sprained his ankle. They have been told they have a week off between terms, this is the 4th of July week, they have to leave camp and sort out their own food and accommodation. That is making me a bit angry. DS is now worrying about having enough money for the travelling he wants to do at the end.
Can he stay with one of the America camp counsellors for the week?
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 19, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
hermione25
VIP Dibber

And they didn’t forewarn him about this? Appalling
Old 1 Jun 19, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Twinkletoes47
VIP Dibber

Hi all - sorry to join late!

My DS went to camp with Americamp last year and has returned to the same camp this year, in Illinois, but direct with them.

He travelled on Wednesday, arrived safely and is now on 'no media' lockdown (I recall this from last year and think it's an attempt to embrace them in camp life and limit home sickness), so it's gone quiet, not that I'd heard much - the statutory 'arrived safely' and a video of arriving at the camp gates (generally lots of shrieking and a clear 'welcome home' from the camp director that made me a little emosh as it was so Disney like ). Since then I've had a 'did you pack me a towel' (yes, of course I bloomin did!), and can you buy me a season ticket for six flags 😁

If anyone has any queries about being a camp mom just shout

DRP 7 times to date!
Anaheim 1984, 1995, 2005
Miami and Kissimmee 1992, Highland Reserve 2011
Universal Cabana Bay, Disney Caribbean Beach, Miami, Key West 2015
New York New York Las Vegas 2016
NYC and Los Angeles 2017
Chicago to Vegas Route 66 Road Trip 2019
Twinkletoes47 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 19, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Twinkletoes47
VIP Dibber

So sorry to hear this, hope his ankle is now ok.

Last year DS had this week off and a few of them (8 I think, all the internationals) got an air bnb in Chicago (nearest city) and did sight seeing and enjoyed the 4th July celebrations, had a fantastic time. The camp gave an advance to those that needed it. So yes, an unexpected cost, but the chance to start some early sight-seeing perhaps?

I think home sickness is a beast, and it's hard on you too as you can't put it right. But remember camps deal with this every year and will be used to supporting counsellors in this. It will also make him a better counsellor once homesick kids start arriving as he will understand what they are experiencing and be empathetic.

Sending lots of best wishes

DRP 7 times to date!
Anaheim 1984, 1995, 2005
Miami and Kissimmee 1992, Highland Reserve 2011
Universal Cabana Bay, Disney Caribbean Beach, Miami, Key West 2015
New York New York Las Vegas 2016
NYC and Los Angeles 2017
Chicago to Vegas Route 66 Road Trip 2019
Twinkletoes47 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List