Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Jun 19, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

Originally Posted by RickT View Post
after a quick google... the amount of threads and articles on this topic is crazy..

One article a user posted the below - i think its a good point...

It depends on the place... there's a small award-winning independent café near me that sells lovely food.

The problem is that local business people go in there, buy just 1 coffee for less than £2 and sit there literally for over a hour sometimes with their laptops.

Fine at quiet times but sometimes they all do this at lunchtime and the café owners struggle to find places for the customers who actually want to eat, thus losing the café money.

It's quite selfish and I think the business people should show some support to the café owners (who never complain) by at least buying more than 1 coffee!

If the cafe owners don't have the fortitude to sort out the situation are they in the right business?
Old 18 Jun 19, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
iloveholidays1
Apprentice Imagineer

They always take the best tables as well
ASSports Oct/Nov 2014 ASSports August 2016 POFQ Aug/Sept 2019
Cabana Bay/Carribbean Beach Jan/Feb 23
iloveholidays1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
I meet up with one of my managers in a coffee shop sometimes but we have coffee and a cake or sandwich and if we are there a long time we have more coffee and more coffee...probably would be cheaper to hire a meeting room...
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Actually if I was in the OP's situation I would go over to somebody singly using a 4 person table and just sit opposite them and put my coffee on their paperwork
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Right, reporting back from my one hour meeting in Pret in Morgate. Loads of other client meetings and interviews going on but I did offer the table next to us to someone I saw hovering, wondering whether they should come over and take it.

Now the twist. I’m a Chartered Accountant albeit one who didn’t do anything profession related beyond qualify then pay my subs every year. The members place/HQ is also in Morgate but I’d never bothered checking it out... sat in here right now, loads of space, very nice bar, major refurb last year, just bumped into a colleague, turns out I can invite guests for no charge, etc

Will use this as my temporary office from now on and keep one more seat free in the local coffee shops.

Thanks OP/ Dibb 😊😊😊😊😊
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinygog
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
Actually if I was in the OP's situation I would go over to somebody singly using a 4 person table and just sit opposite them and put my coffee on their paperwork
I did ask a single person sitting at a four table if we could have half the table and they were fine with it. We dragged it to the free two table next to it, so the four of us could sit together. Generally when you ask, people are helpful and don't have a problem giving spare tables/seats up, but I don't know why a business would allow people to sit there for hours, when they are clearly working.

WDW: 2002, 2004 & 2008
DLP: 2014, 2015 (Xmas), 2017 (Xmas) & 2018
Tinygog is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
RickT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 7SeasSailor View Post
[/B]

If the cafe owners don't have the fortitude to sort out the situation are they in the right business?
no idea - if it was me i would be saying seating for diners only between 11am and 2pm if i was confident i could fill every seat with food service... but then that could be business suicide in some peoples eyes...

How would you manage it ?
Las Vegas 18 - Florida 18 -Holland 18 -Bratislava 18 -Florida 17 -Holland 17 -Rhodes 17 - Kos 17 - France 16-Belgium 16-Holland 16-Germany 16-Sopot Poland 15-Kos 15-DLP SQL 15-Hampton Lakes 14-Hamburg 14- Berlin 13-WestRidge Villas 12-Krakow 12-France 11-Turkey 11-Germany 10-Marbella 10-Jamaica 09-Dublin 09-Dublin 08-Paris 08-Zante Villa 08-Egypt 2008-Rhodes 2008-Sweden 08-Norway 08-Rhodes 07- Huatulco Mexico 07-DLP Magic Circus 2007-Dublin 2007-Sweden 07-Greece 06/05/04-Barcelona 04-Rhodes 02
RickT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Labboy
VIP Dibber

Another thing in coffee shops, you join the queue and others peel off to claim a table when the person buying is behind me and has not purchased yet grrrrrrr.
Labboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
alp1972
VIP Dibber

alp1972's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Yep our local is full of people with lap tops open and all their work spread out , 1 person at a table for 4 . Last week there was even a man having a business meeting sat next to us not only could I hear the entire conversation I could see everything that was going on with his screen and his colleague . Also if you pop to Westfield W12 the Costa in Debenhams is usually full of people having interviews for jobs , you can hear everything , seems really bizarre to me to be conducting meeting / interviews where there is no privacy .

2023: Cabana Bay & Portofino Bay 2022: Caribbean Beach Resort / Portofino Bay / Cabana Bay 2020: Coronado Springs/Portofino 2019: Cabana Bay2017: Coronado Springs & Cabana Bay
2016: New York 2015: LBV Resort and Spa & Portofino Bay 2012: LBV Resort and Spa 2010: San Francisco, Las Vegas and St Lucia, Honeymoon
alp1972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

The Costa on the Oxford Road on Manchester caters for students and has a series of one person desks against one wall. People seem to use the local Ikea restaurant to work - free coffee with the Family Card 😉
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List