Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 24 Jun 19, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
CosmicGirl
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Alien View Post
I think considering they invested in services that's CBR will benefit from more than CSR, difference in increase rate is to be expected
I think CSR is actually the nicer resort resort of the two, especially with the renovated rooms. I had high hopes for CBR and booked there in 2018 for this year, mostly for the Skyliner, but also with the renovations in mind.

Lately I've been wondering if I made the right call. I was looking at the Centertown Market menu a few weeks ago and discovered they've already eliminated just about all the interesting options they had introduced when it reopened in October. Breakfast is mostly standard bounty platters again. Compared to CSR the rooms look meh so the Skyliner is the only plus left. If only they had built the Skyliner at CSR!
CosmicGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 19, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post

I'm now subscribed to Pete Werner's YouTube page. : - )
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 19, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

It will be interesting next April when the free Disney dining is due to be released. I’m sure they will be looking carefully at October’s take up this year when no free dining was offered. I’m sure with GE opening those rooms will be full. So I’m expecting the free dining to disappear soon. It’s the only thing they have left to squeeze more cash out of its loyal visitors.
The whole Disney experience is being ruined by greed. By next year a family of 4 will probably be paying £2000 for 4 passes. I’m lucky I can still afford to go but when I try to get friends and family to come along they think I’m crazy paying the prices being displayed
myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 19, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
Disney UK could put up room rates at any time they wanted, it has nothing to do with free dining. Hotels everywhere put up prices when they want. Disney would just honour any already booked price but new bookings would be at the new higher prices.
I am not sure about that Hal. 'Free Dining' by advertising standards must mean its free- and the comparison has to be the pre free price. If they suddenly put up prices, it could quite easily be argued (and ASA would throw the book at them) that the free dining promotion was false because they just put rooms up anyway compared to the price the day before and so it really wasnt free dining.
The price rises may filter through in 2021 or for the periods when free dining ends.
Old 24 Jun 19, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
CosmicGirl
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by myaquarium View Post
It will be interesting next April when the free Disney dining is due to be released. I’m sure they will be looking carefully at October’s take up this year when no free dining was offered. I’m sure with GE opening those rooms will be full. So I’m expecting the free dining to disappear soon. It’s the only thing they have left to squeeze more cash out of its loyal visitors.
The whole Disney experience is being ruined by greed. By next year a family of 4 will probably be paying £2000 for 4 passes. I’m lucky I can still afford to go but when I try to get friends and family to come along they think I’m crazy paying the prices being displayed
My gut is telling me they can't afford to drop free dining in the UK. They would lose far too many long-stay customers. Over the past decade they have essentially changed their business model from affordable hotel rates, affordable dining plan, and affordable tickets to high hotel rates and expensive tickets with free dining. This is what we paid in 2009 in July:

CSR: £83/night
DDP: £19.99pppn (adults)
7-day ticket: £219 (adults).

This has just about doubled for 2019:

CSR: £179
7-day ticket: £399
free QSDP with upgrade to DDP: £17.

Of course, the USD has gone up but this should only result in a ~27% increase in GBP. US inflation from 2009-2019 is ~19%, so the total increase over 10 years should have been roughly 51%, not 100%.

Edited at 10:55 AM.
CosmicGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 19, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Squidgyness
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I count myself very lucky I don't get affected by most Disney price rises, only tickets. If free dining goes there cannot be much of a defence against complaints of poor value imo. Doubt they'd get rid but they've done things I considered foolish before and survived so who knows.

17% is a monumental increase though. Heck, 7% of 750 bucks is gargantuan. That's a whole premier inn room more PER NIGHT. Has the service improved? I doubt it.

I too watched Pete's GF vid and agree ors nothing special. Location is good, but If that's what you want go to contemporary. That couch was disgusting.

You don't pay resort fees at universal hotels by the way. Wink, wink. The stay more save more deal is great too.
96/98/03/06/09 - Offsite Kissimmee/I-Drive
17/18 - Universal RPR
Squidgyness is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 19, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

Hope your right. The dining plan definitely helps with the high charges high parking fees and high ticket prices. But I’m sure people will stay regardless of price and value and these people are the customers they will hope to retain.
myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 19, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Well I have never heard of Pete Werner so I searched for the GF video on YouTube.

Pete is now my best mate.

What an excellent report he did and he was spot on ref the issues such as the sofa bed and the room key. Love Mum as well.
But who in their right mind would pay $750 for a room that size? For that price I would expect to have a Butler run my bath and bring me snacks.
I know you are partly paying for the location with GF but the Hilton etc is so much more luxurious . I agree with Pete though the rooms just do not touch the prestige of flag ship hotel .
I know Geoffa stayed at the grand Californian , anyone know how do they compare to GF rooms now?
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 19, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I am not sure about that Hal. 'Free Dining' by advertising standards must mean its free- and the comparison has to be the pre free price. If they suddenly put up prices, it could quite easily be argued (and ASA would throw the book at them) that the free dining promotion was false because they just put rooms up anyway compared to the price the day before and so it really wasnt free dining.
The price rises may filter through in 2021 or for the periods when free dining ends.
Disney are giving free dining on top of the room costs. Increasing the room costs will have no effect on the cost of free dining as that is still supplied free. Disney can charge what they like for the rooms, its what its charging for the free dining that matters and what ever the room rate the cost to the customer for the free dining is still zero regardless of the room costs. Trading Standards wouldn't even bother looking into it as it would be a complete waste of their time and money.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 19, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by bighal View Post
Disney are giving free dining on top of the room costs. Increasing the room costs will have no effect on the cost of free dining as that is still supplied free. Disney can charge what they like for the rooms, its what its charging for the free dining that matters and what ever the room rate the cost to the customer for the free dining is still zero regardless of the room costs. Trading Standards wouldn't even bother looking into it as it would be a complete waste of their time and money.
Never in the history of free dining have Disney increased room rates while the offer is on. That’s unheard of and very unlikely.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List