Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 14 Jun 18, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
vickitoria10
Dibbing with Tink

Pisa car parks

Has anyone travelled to Pisa by car and visited the tower?

We are visiting on Monday and all I’m reading on trip advisor is that car parks in Pisa are not safe and theft is a massive problem! We can’t go by train because of where we are staying, we won’t have any luggage with us but have a 9 seat minivan which apparently screams tourist so will be targeted 😭. I’m so worried about our visit now! Has anyone experience of driving and parking in Pisa and can put my mind at ease a bit?!
vickitoria10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 18, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
pad406
VIP Dibber

pad406's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
We stayed overnight there about 2years ago and had a hire car. Hadn't heard or come across any issues and certainly did not experience any. As we had accommodation there we parked outside it (on street though).

One thing to watch (for certain) is what they (and many other Italian cities) call ZTL zones. These are restricted areas and if you enter them it's a big fine, over €100 and then the car hire company will add their processing fees on top.

The sign looks like this:

Avoid !

Christmas 2018/New Year 2019 (19N) BC - RPR - BC
Christmas 2016/New Year 2017 (18N). SF, LA, Disneyland & SD
Christmas 2014/New Year 2015 (21N). BWI, Hard Rock, Beach Club
April 2012 (21N). New York, Beach Club
Christmas 2010/New Year 2011 (15N). Polynesian & AKL
pad406 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 18, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

We parked very close to the tower with our rental car a couple of years ago. It was about a 5 minute walk from the Duomo and tower. Just looking at google maps, it’s called Parcheggio Via Piave. It was a Sunday and very quiet - there’s a footpath at the back of the car park through to the tower, just a road to cross. Very easy.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 18, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
vickitoria10
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile

The one I was looking at was Parcheggio via Peitrasantina, it’s free and a 10minute wall from the tower. I’ve looked at Via Piave one too cos it’s near the football ground which DH wants to look at. It’s good to know you had no problems, I’ve read people ‘help’ you to use the ticket machine and basically want a tip and if you don’t give it them expect your car to be vandalised!

WDW - Oct 2010 - SSR, Sept/Oct 2011 - I-Drive, May 2015 - OKW

DLP - Dec 2013, Jan 2015 - Cheyenne
vickitoria10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 18, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Just try to park in an open area of the car park and don't leave valuables in the car. I am presuming you have a hire car, not your own car. Obviously no one wants to have any car vandalised or broken into, but as it is a hire car it will be covered by insurance.

Someone I know did get pickpocketed in Pisa many years ago. Sadly, many tourist spots are rife for these incidents and it does put tourists off visiting. We were looking at Barcelona and read that pickpocket numbers are very high there, it did put us off and we have booked Venice instead. There are pickpockets in Venice too, although numbers are much lower apparently but that doesn't mean it won't happen. We can only be careful and hope it won't happen to us.

Hope you have a wonderful time 😊
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 18, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
vickitoria10
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile

Yeah we won’t have anything in the car as it’s a day trip. It does seem that they target cats stopping off en route with luggage in their car.

Yeah we’ll keep our wits about us just as in any hotspot. I know these things can happen anywhere, it’s just when you read review after review of cars getting broken in to it unerves you a bit! Thanks!

WDW - Oct 2010 - SSR, Sept/Oct 2011 - I-Drive, May 2015 - OKW

DLP - Dec 2013, Jan 2015 - Cheyenne