Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 10 Apr 17, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

C&L Bangkok, Elephant Hills & Phuket adventure - March 2017 - Day 4 - Rainforest River Camp

Day 4 – Elephant Hills River Camp

We got up at 7am, having had a brilliant nights sleep . We could hear wildlife outside the tent but I think we were so tired it didn’t keep us awake. Also the tents had fans so we had that going all night which drowned out some of the sound of wildlife.

We packed up our stuff and went over to breakfast for 8, I had waffles with honey and Chris had bread, cheese and meats. We also had tea and coffee.

We went back to our room to get our stuff, our suitcases were being left at the camp so we had to leave these outside our tent then we went and checked out. We had to pay 300 baht for drinks we had had while we were there.

We left the camp about 9am and first stopped off at a little market, I bought some elephant trousers from 190 baht which I thought would be useful in the jungle later. I think most people got a pair as everyone was wearing them round the camp . We then went off to visit a dam and a view point, I can’t remember the details exactly but the views were pretty good. There was a school trip there wanting selfies with us !

It was so hot so we obviously had to get an ice lolly.

The jungle across the water apparently had loads of wildlife in, including tigers and 150 elephants !

We then headed to get the boat to the river camp which took about an hour, this was a great journey.

We arrived at the river camp about 12:30, it was very exciting arriving and seeing all the tents, each had their own kayak attached. We had some tea and coffee while we waited for our tent to be ready then were given the keys. We got our key shortly before 1.

We went to drop our things off but didn't have much time as lunch was served at 1. This was buffet style again and was really nice.

We finished about 1:15 and went back to our tent to unpack our bits. The tent was similar to the other camp just slightly smaller. It was so cool , there was electricity but it was limited so you couldn't charge phones, use hairdryers etc. They advised not to use any of it until the evening as we would want to use the lights later. We took the kayaks out, we took it in turns rather than going out together and both absolutely loved it.

We didn’t get the chance to go out for long though as we were going for a hike in the jungle at 2. This was optional but we wanted to do this. We put on plenty of mosquito spray as I got bitten very badly when we did a jungle walk in Kuala Lumpur. We left about 2 and had a 20 minute boat journey to a different part of the jungle.

The hike took about 2 and a half hours, it took about 90 minutes to get to the top, this was quite steep. We stopped to see some wildlife on the way, including a tarantula , gibbons and some insects. There were bears in the jungle, although very rarely spotted. We did see their claw marks on the tree though (we did have a ranger with us)!

We also tested our tarzan skills .

When we got to the top, we headed into the cave. They gave us torches, then we headed in. There were so many spiders in the cave, I was pretty scared ! We walked quite far in, I am glad I went in but I didn’t exactly enjoy it because of all the spiders !

We headed back out and I was pretty relieved and headed back down the hill. It was quite steep going down, we had sticks which helped but one girl did fall over and grazed her knee. Once we were back down we got the boat back to our camp.

We got back about 5:15pm and we asked for a second kayak so we could both take them out.

We then spent some time swimming, having fun taking photos with our go pro . We got showered then went and got a g&t and beer to enjoy on our terrace before heading over to dinner at 7pm.

Sorry too many photos again, so continued below .

Edited at 02:52 PM.
LN89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 17, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

Dinner was similar to the other food, but still good and I had a margarita and Chris had a beer. Cocktails were 250 baht, which was more expensive that the other camp but I didn't think were too bad considering we could only use their bar so they could really charge what they liked!

Sorry not a great photo!

We sat talking to some of the other couples in our group but everyone started heading off to bed quite early. We went about 8:30 and sat on the terrace for a while finishing our drinks. It was so peaceful and the stars were so clear.

After a while we headed into our tent and went to bed about 10 .

Edited at 02:57 PM.
LN89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 17, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Again - wow! How utterly amazing! The days seems perfect from start to finish!

Those spiders look a liitle terrifying though!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 17, 06:27 AM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Again - wow! How utterly amazing! The days seems perfect from start to finish!

Those spiders look a liitle terrifying though!
Thank you, it really was. Except the spiders . One girl had a cricket on her top in the cave, which we initially thought was a spider, that made me even more scared!
Old 1 May 17, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Looks like a fantastic day - apart from the giant killer spiders!
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 17, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
Looks like a fantastic day - apart from the giant killer spiders!
Thank you Haha yes I was glad to get away from the spiders !
Old 10 Mar 18, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
What an adventure you guys are having, not sure about the spiders and tarantulas though 😳😳
Excitedx4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 18, 12:17 AM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Excitedx4 View Post
What an adventure you guys are having, not sure about the spiders and tarantulas though 😳😳
Haha I was very scared of the spiders! It was worth it thought as the trip was amazing.
Old 15 May 18, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

Memories to last a life time, another amazing day x
Old 18 May 18, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Jakey Neverland View Post
Memories to last a life time, another amazing day x
Thank you, yes we certainly won’t be forgetting this is a hurry