Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 12 Feb 18, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
The Golfer
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Universals no better, we went Saturday for the Mardi Gras and Beach Boys concert a pint of coors light and a margarita $23, granted parking was free for none pass holders after 6pm
The Golfer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 18, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post

I did notice this morning the price increase, bought mine a few days ago so lucky I had. Its a shame really because originally Walt created the park for the average American family to have somewhere to go to that is safe and fun and a place that embodies the American dream.. it seems to be now that the co-operate company that Disney has become are only intent on making Disney World now unachievable to the average American family. Don't personally think Walt would be happy with that, but that's what happens when you cut up a company and sell it to the fat big business cats.

However, I do agree that Disney grows super quick and the technology and the cutting edge theming that goes into the new areas are amazing! That money has to come from somewhere.

Edited at 04:27 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 18, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Carlyed91 View Post
I did notice this morning the price increase, bought mine a few days ago so lucky I had. Its a shame really because originally Walt created the park for the average American family to have somewhere to go to that is safe and fun and a place that embodies the American dream.. it seems to be now that the co-operate company that Disney has become are only intent on making Disney World now unachievable to the average American family. Don't personally think Walt would be happy with that, but that's what happens when you cut up a company and sell it to the fat big business cats.
There are far more "average American families" visiting the Disney parks now than there ever were during Walt's time or in the 1970s when WDW first opened. I think Walt would be happy.

(And by "average American families" Walt meant those on middle incomes. His parks weren't meant for those on low incomes. They still aren't)

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 18, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Essex Benjy's!
Imagineer

Sad when reading through the Dibb and you see ordinary people having to book years in advance as it's so expensive.
Bit by bit clawing in more money. We used to get the maximum multi day hopper tickets to use over several trips but that of course soon ended.
It's certainly not affordable to ordinary people. We can only vote without feet though and if achieving record attendances yet again but speaking for myself and my kids we will always love it and keep going.
Been so many times it's less often now though as there still so many other places to visit.
Always love WDW though , especially MK
Essex Benjy's! is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 18, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
In the last 2 years, Disney have added or changed the following:
  • Muppets Great Moments in American History added at MK
  • Once Upon A Time added at MK
  • Happily Ever After replaced Wishes at MK
  • Soarin' updated to Soarin' Around the World at EP
  • Joy and Sadness Meet added at EP
  • Frozen Ever After added at EP
  • Royal Sommerhus added at EP
  • Mission Space updated at EP
  • Star Wars: Galaxy Far Far Away show added at HS
  • Star Wars fireworks added at HS
  • New Mickey & Minnie and Olaf meets added at HS
  • Music of Pixar Live added to HS
  • Grand Avenue and TapHouse opened at HS
  • PizzeRizzo opened at HS
  • Pandora, FoP and NRJ added to AK
  • Rivers of Light added to AK
  • Tree of Life Awakening at AK
  • Kilimanjaro Safaris After Dark added at AK
  • Lion Guard Adventure added at AK
  • Miss Adventure Falls added to TL
  • Various updates and new restaurants added to Disney Springs

In addition, Disney are nearing completion of Toy Story Land at HS, are part way through building Star Wars Land at HS, Skyline gondola system between Epcot and HS is underway, Ratatouille and GotG rides at Epcot and Mickey's Runaway train at HS are being built, and they are about to start building the new Tron ride at MK. All those new attractions have to paid for somehow whilst still maintaining/increasing profits (Disney ain't a charity!).

It might seem like there's nothing new, but quite a few things have changed and been added since we were last there only 22 months ago.
Nimbus I was with you, until you included PizzaRizzo 😂
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 18, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Nimbus I was with you, until you included PizzaRizzo 😂
Yeah, adding that to the list probably didn't help "sell" my point.

Originally Posted by Essex Benjy's! View Post
Sad when reading through the Dibb and you see ordinary people having to book years in advance as it's so expensive.
A weird situation has arisen over the years where people feel a sense of entitlement regarding visiting Disneyworld (or any Disney resort). This notion has developed where parents think that they must take their kids to Disney and that they are entitled to visit Disney no matter what they earn. Folks who can barely afford a Disney holiday save up for years and take one anyway, because that's what they're "supposed" to do to live their dream. Strange.

As for the ticket prices, I suspect people have been moaning about the regular price hikes ever since 1958 when Disney increased the price of a Disneyland ticket book by a "whopping" 40%. Certainly, there have been complaints every year for the last 6 or 7 years I've been here on the DIBB.

The thing is, the percentage price increase for MYW tickets has been reasonably stable at around 5% per year for the past 25 years or so (well, except for 2006/2007 when the increase was 9%). And one of the points of these price hikes is to try and cut down on crowd numbers in order to make the parks more pleasant for those that are there. As this article explains (although written in 2015 it's still very relevant and worth reading), you can’t complain that the parks are too crowded while simultaneously complaining about price hikes. Well, except some people do.

Finally, as it says at the end of that article, "Disney is not trying to destroy the American dream and ruin middle class childhoods. It's doing just what any reasonable company with a responsibility to its shareholders would: maximizing its profits. If, along the way, some families become unable to afford an annual trip, then so be it. Then they'll have solved the crowding issue at the same time. It's not a rosy fairytale, but it is a smart business decision and a way to increase guest satisfaction at the same time".

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 18, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post

Sure jan
Old 12 Feb 18, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post

Makes complete sense to me. If the hotels are full and the parks are full, why wouldn't they increase their prices?

Thankfully, Walt Disney had the foresight to buy lots and lots of land. I wonder how much Disney have left? Time for a new theme park to relieve the overcrowding?
Old 12 Feb 18, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Magnificent View Post
Makes complete sense to me. If the hotels are full and the parks are full, why wouldn't they increase their prices?

Thankfully, Walt Disney had the foresight to buy lots and lots of land. I wonder how much Disney have left? Time for a new theme park to relieve the overcrowding?
Not as much as you think... about 25% is permanently set aside as wilderness preserve land, another 25% is unsuitable (at present) to be built on and 35% is currently developed so that only leaves about 15%.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Yeah, adding that to the list probably didn't help "sell" my point.

A weird situation has arisen over the years where people feel a sense of entitlement regarding visiting Disneyworld (or any Disney resort). This notion has developed where parents think that they must take their kids to Disney and that they are entitled to visit Disney no matter what they earn. Folks who can barely afford a Disney holiday save up for years and take one anyway, because that's what they're "supposed" to do to live their dream. Strange.

As for the ticket prices, I suspect people have been moaning about the regular price hikes ever since 1958 when Disney increased the price of a Disneyland ticket book by a "whopping" 40%. Certainly, there have been complaints every year for the last 6 or 7 years I've been here on the DIBB.

The thing is, the percentage price increase for MYW tickets has been reasonably stable at around 5% per year for the past 25 years or so (well, except for 2006/2007 when the increase was 9%). And one of the points of these price hikes is to try and cut down on crowd numbers in order to make the parks more pleasant for those that are there. As this article explains (although written in 2015 it's still very relevant and worth reading), you can’t complain that the parks are too crowded while simultaneously complaining about price hikes. Well, except some people do.

Finally, as it says at the end of that article, "Disney is not trying to destroy the American dream and ruin middle class childhoods. It's doing just what any reasonable company with a responsibility to its shareholders would: maximizing its profits. If, along the way, some families become unable to afford an annual trip, then so be it. Then they'll have solved the crowding issue at the same time. It's not a rosy fairytale, but it is a smart business decision and a way to increase guest satisfaction at the same time".
Agree with most of this. You can claim the parks are too busy though, in that you can complain they are letting too many in, so sell less tickets.
They won't do that though, prices will keep going up whilst the people still come, until they reach the tipping point. They say it's to control crowds but call me a sceptic, I think that's just the excuse they use.
Shame they can't blame inflation caused by Brexit!
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List