Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 8 Mar 18, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 324
Guidebook Photos: 485
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Virgin Atlantic unveil 3 new ways to fly Economy

inline imageYesterday Virgin Atlantic announced new ways to fly economy, it is splitting it's economy in to 3 separate tiers, economy delight, economy classic and economy light. Virgin Atlantic will retrofit 36 larger economy delight seats to their existing fleet.

Economy delight will have a seat pitch of 34", checked luggage 1 x 23KG, free seat selection and priority boarding.

Economy classic will have a seat pitch of 31", checked luggage 1 x 23Kg, and free seat selection.

Economy light will have seat pitch of 31", only carry on luggage and seats are assigned at check-in.

All economy tiers will share the same 3 course meal dining experience, complimentary drinks and snacks.

blog.virginatlantic/virg...s-fly-economy/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg virginatlantic.jpg (16.7 KB, 73335 views)
Old 8 Mar 18, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Gipsy 4
slightly serious Dibber

Gipsy 4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Mobile

Do you know when this will start and what the price difference will be? Just wondering how it will impact flights already booked. Do you think this will affect PE?
Gipsy 4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Mar 18, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
LOU68
Very Serious Dibber

Interesting wonder how this will impact on cost? Flying Club allows free seat selection (time restricted) so wonder how this will all work?
LOU68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Mar 18, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

Will be interesting to see if this pushes prices up as there will no longer be a charge for selecting seats.
Old 8 Mar 18, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
lovewdw
Apprentice Imagineer

The reuters article uk.reuters/article/uk-br...-idUKKCN1GJ2UY states:
Virgin Atlantic on Wednesday announced that it would refit the cabins of its Boeing 787 Dreamliners to offer a new type of economy seat with legroom of 34 inches (86 cms), bigger than the 31 inch economy offering.
Virgin also said it would offer an “economy light” ticket which excludes checked luggage.
It gave no information about ticket prices, with the new seats not available for sale until Spring.
I doubt the 747's will be refitted this close to their end of life.

Edited at 12:34 PM.
lovewdw is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Mar 18, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
teallach
Very Serious Dibber

Man alive, how to complicate things further when choosing how to fly! I wonder how this will work for flying club reward seats🤔
teallach is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Mar 18, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Scully
Apprentice Imagineer

Scully's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
How long before the first post...

My holiday is ruined, VA wouldn't let me take my bag on the plane because I booked Economy (light).

1996, 2003, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2022, 2025
Scully is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Mar 18, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
My cynical self says that the "light" seats will stay the same price and the other two will rise in price proportionately.
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Mar 18, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney45
slightly serious Dibber

i Have already booked for July 2019 It will be interesting to see how this will work with pre booking !
2019 dibb villa @ watersong & Hardrock Hotel
2017 Terra Verde villa & CSR
2016 Sapphire Falls & PORS
2015 All Stars Music
2014 Sol Costa Dorada, Salou
2013 POFQ
Disney45 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Mar 18, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaDave
Imagineer

FloridaDave's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
The biggest issues I see with this and the restriction on the cheap basic fare to just carry on baggage and the potential issues that could cause.

I'm sure most who have travelled on a US carrier - especially on an internal flight have seen that although there are posted restrictions, you still see people getting on the plane (usually in front of you) with pretty much giant carry on bags stuff which by the time you get on there is no overhead room left for your carry on which is within the limits.

I wouldn't like to think that this is going to cause those types of issues if the rules aren't enforced - as I guess they are likely to be here in the UK - but when returning home from a US airport I don't think they will because they will be in the same US mind set of turning a blind eye. This could lead to issues then with people paying less for a ticket and pretty much trying to take luggage that should be in the hold onto the plane and restricting overhead room for everyone who has actually paid the normal fare.

Years back - we were travelling home on American Airlines where we were due to fly from Orlando up to Chicago and then home. When we were boarding at Orlando there were a lot of US passengers with giant holdalls in front of us and before we got to the gate they announced that everyone else would need to have their luggage checked into the hold which would have been to our destination. I flatly refused to do that because our luggage contained medication and I ended up having an brief discussion with the guy at the gate who tried to tell me that no-one is actually entitled to have cabin luggage, just hold luggage. I soon proved him wrong because I had my documents that clearly stated our entitlement in the T&C's and clearly stated the cabin allowance which we were still well under - that quickly shut him up. We ended up having to put our carry on under the seat in front which totally took our legroom away so it was an uncomfortable few hours on that journey - all because they didn't enforce their own rules about carry on and inconvenienced pretty much half the passengers because of it.

I wouldn't fly Virgin anyway to be honest unless they were clearly the cheapest which is never the case for us
(UPCOMING)2018- Florida V6.0beta (Aug) Pre-Trip Report 2016- Mexico (Aug) Menorca (Oct), 2015- NYC & Florida, 2014- Gran Canaria, Aug (Puerto Rico), 2013- Florida, Aug/Sep (Clearwater and Westhaven Villa) - Pre-Trip Report, 2012- Florida, Aug (Sunset Lakes Villa) - Brangelina Trip Report, 2011- Santorini, Aug (Kamari Hotel - Sisters Wedding), 2010- Florida, Aug (Rolling Hills Villa), 2009- Florida, Aug/Sep (Clear Creek Villa)
FloridaDave is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List