Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 3 Apr 18, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
It uses Bluetooth (or the one I used did) or maybe NFC and the app has security. It needs no WiFi to function.
Someone would need to hack the app I imagine which I also imagine is encrypted. Or they'd have to get your username and password.
At the moment just as much of a risk is hacking the app, or logging in and assigning a magic band to it and going on a spending spree.
Marriott group have been using it since 2014, and Hilton have had over 12 million uses without a single security breach.
There's no need to use a VPN.
The hackers would also then need someone physically on site to break in. It's an awful lot of hassle when a wonder around, looking for open doors would probably yield much better results.
Disney IT < Marriott and Hilton IT. Imagine relying on MDE to open/secure your hotel room lol. Please not the safe as well!
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 18, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
I’d rather use the MB. It’s much easier when your hands are full with shopping bags!

Trip Report Index
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 18, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

I doubt they'll phase out Magic Bands. The main reason they introduced them was for data analytics. They actually transmit quite a distance and Disney are tracking constantly for crowd data analysis. I doubt they'll want to lose that, it's a big reason they spent $1bn.
Old 3 Apr 18, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
I doubt they'll phase out Magic Bands. The main reason they introduced them was for data analytics. They actually transmit quite a distance and Disney are tracking constantly for crowd data analysis. I doubt they'll want to lose that, it's a big reason they spent $1bn.
Don’t forget the money to be made from selling specific designs too.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 18, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Mobile

The magic bands are definitely one of their better systems, prefer them to a phone for unlocking a hotel room, they aren't out of battery at the end of the day unlike many current smartphone s for a start
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 18, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

I don't think MBs will go anywhere, they will just stop giving them out for free. It's a big overhead especially when you think of the number of split stays and/or repeat guests getting multiple bands for free, large groups on one night stays paying for themselves in bands alone, etc.

As I said, right now they have to give you the bands as there is no other way to access their rooms. If they give you alternatives, particularly digital ones with no ongoing production costs, it means they can then focus on selling them to you instead. And it's a much easier sell now that people are used to the system - I know I'd buy one.

Edited at 08:45 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 18, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
DiszeeBelle
Imagineer

Don't like the idea of using my phone. What if you lose the phone? My battery usually dies, plus like previous posts mentioned, use of mobile abroad, both in data and actually using the phone. If it wasn't for mde I wouldn't take my mobile, I don't when in DLP or beach holidays, I like the peace. My phone is turned in once on a night to check and then before I leave for the day.
DiszeeBelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 18, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
lam
VIP Dibber

Like some other dibbers, I am not married to my phone.
I take it with me, but don't use it until i am at the airport coming home!

Its 'tied' to 3 Ireland, so I may have to take my unlocked iphone to keep in touch with DS over wifi.
I use my MB's and do not fancy using a mobile to unlock door.

I didn't know I could go straight to my room (i check in online). I thought the front desk needed to check passport etc before allowing you access?

3/01-Sheraton 4 Pts & WDW Contemporary.7/07-DLP Sequoia. 3/08-WDW Pop & POFQ. 7/08-DLP Sequoia.4/09, 3/10 & 4/11-WDW AKV, 7/11- Doubletree@Seaworld & AKV -03/12, 3/13- WDW AKV 8/14 [I]Cabana Bay,OKW & AKV.07/15-BVP,BLT & AKV07/17-POR,BLT & AKV.07/18-AKV-Jambo,Cabana Bay Beach, Beacon Hotel,New York..07/20TRIP CANCELLED- 10/21-Cheyenne,DLP-7/22-AKV, Coronado & Poly.12/23-AKV, POR,BLT &ASM
lam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 18, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
VickieMH
Imagineer

This seems to be one of the better ideas from Disney lately. Parking is a deal breaker for me.
Old 3 Apr 18, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lam View Post
Like some other dibbers, I am not married to my phone.
I take it with me, but don't use it until i am at the airport coming home!

Its 'tied' to 3 Ireland, so I may have to take my unlocked iphone to keep in touch with DS over wifi.
I use my MB's and do not fancy using a mobile to unlock door.

I didn't know I could go straight to my room (i check in online). I thought the front desk needed to check passport etc before allowing you access?
Domestic visitors can go straight to room as their bands are shipped to them in advance. International still need to go to the check in desk to collect bands. But I could see this becoming optional once bands aren't required.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List