Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 6 Apr 18, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
bob808
Earning My Ears

What this is sure to evolve to is that anyone with an apple watch or android wear smartwatch can use that to open the doors and around the parks - so you already own your own magicband already if you wear one of these - why wear 2 devices on your wrist when your own will already work?
bob808 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 18, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by loldis View Post
My key word was free bands Nimbus. I elaborated in a later post that I don't think MBs are going anywhere, but Disney only hand them out for free as they have no alternative. Because offsite guests don't have MBs, everything else property wide is already set to function without them so no change there. It's only the hotel doors that were fully switched over.

I would bet on bookings becoming along the lines of "Access your room for free via the app, or pay $9.99 for a MB which also gives you these benefits..."
Yeah, I get that. And given the other things Disney have done in the last few years I wouldn't put it past them introducing such as thing. Any excuse to make more money.

Based on that logic though, Disney could just start charging for MagicBands right now anyway. Or they could've charged for them in the first place. There's no reason they have to give MBs away for free. Adding this new smartphone feature doesn't change that.

As I pointed out, what about the other facilities that MagicBands bring? Disney would have to hand out something to onsite guests to allow them to get into the parks, use their fastpasses or get into their room if they haven't brought their phone with them. Currently onsite guests only get MagicBands to do all these things. Offsite guests get the plastic cards for free to do those things. So I assume onsite guests would also get these plastic cards as well as a default (or, as you say, pay $9.99 to upgrade to a MagicBand).

That leads us backwards to pre-2014 when onsite guests used to get Key To The World cards.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 10:39 AM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 18, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

The big thing about Magic Band and the value to Disney is the long distance broadcasting, which phones and Apple watches etc don't do. So they track precise movements, alter layouts to maximise profitability, use the data to reduce staff and cost, deploy staff etc. For that reason I doubt they'll scrap magic bands, unless they feel they can't do anything more with the data or it's not worth the cost benefit analysis.
Old 6 Apr 18, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Yeah, I get that. And given the other things Disney have done in the last few years I wouldn't put it past them introducing such as thing. Any excuse to make more money.

Based on that logic though, Disney could just start charging for MagicBands right now anyway. Or they could've charged for them in the first place. There's no reason they have to give MBs away for free. Adding this new smartphone feature doesn't change that.

As I pointed out, what about the other facilities that MagicBands bring? Disney would have to hand out something to onsite guests to allow them to get into the parks, use their fastpasses or get into their room if they haven't brought their phone with them. Currently onsite guests only get MagicBands to do all these things. Offsite guests get the plastic cards for free to do those things. So I assume onsite guests would also get these plastic cards as well as a default (or, as you say, pay $9.99 to upgrade to a MagicBand).

That leads us backwards to pre-2014 when onsite guests used to get Key To The World cards.
MaxPass at DL uses the app to access FPs. And you only need one phone per group, as you can tap in multiple FPs (like you can boarding cards on airlines) so the "what if X member of the group doesn't have a phone" issue is moot unless none of them do. And to be honest, groups without smartphones aren't Disney's target market - although they'd still be happy to sell them MBs instead.

But back to MaxPass, I won't be surprised if this is actually a trial to see how it works in the "locals park" before moving it to WDW. My feeling is the long term motive is to push everything to the app. Single platform to maintain/update, no hardware produced at a loss, etc.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 18, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
maclondon
Excited about Disney

I don't think this will replace Magic bands - just an additional option.

apple don't allow apps access to the NFC functionality - so this is big if apple and disney are allowing it (currently only apple apps - i.e. apple pay) use the NFC features on an iPhone / Watch

with google you can use it on android.

But it would lessen queues at front desk - save disney money
the magic bands can be waiting for you in the room etc.
maclondon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 18, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney Bear
VIP Dibber

I don’t think this will replace magic and either but does start the move towards your smart watch being an alternative - which would be great - I always feel I look odd wearing my magic band and my smart watch.
Disney Bear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 18, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
maclondon
Excited about Disney

I used my magic band on the other hand, always makes me sad taking it off when i get home.
maclondon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 18, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by maclondon View Post
apple don't allow apps access to the NFC functionality - so this is big if apple and disney are allowing it (currently only apple apps - i.e. apple pay) use the NFC features on an iPhone / Watch
This new door-unlocking feature uses standard Bluetooth, not NFC.

Can you connect an Apple Watch directly to a Bluetooth device that isn't an iPhone/iPad (for example, directly to a bluetooth speaker)? If so, then this could work, assuming the Disney app can be run on the Watch.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 18, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
maclondon
Excited about Disney

ah ok - so you have to 'pair' with your room - NICE!
Old 17 Apr 18, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
philo2
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I appreciate that a lot of people will find this convenient but I don’t like the idea. I’d be concerned that someone could hack the system and access your room. As has happened with keyless cars. I will wait to see the outcome of their trial
philo2 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List