Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 3 Jun 18, 06:26 AM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

Wheelchair?

I'm due at disney 29 July, last week my son (12) was taken seriously ill and we're currently at a London hospital and will likely be here for another 2-3 weeks. After that the docs think he should be ok and not to cancel my holiday just yet. Assuming he gets a fit to fly and of course I'll get relevant insurance, can I get a wheelchair from Disney? He should be fully mobile, but may get tired and can't see him being able to walk around too much. Thanks for any help and sorry for the ramble, it's been a tough week.
babbymint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 18, 07:47 AM  
Link to this Post
disneywiseowl
VIP Dibber

disneywiseowl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
You can rent wheelchairs daily at all the parks but you might want to consider getting one for the duration of your holiday? Thinking shopping malls etc. There’s lots of useful info on The Dibb about wheelchair rental companies etc.
I have limited mobility & after years of trying different options, I’ve found it easier (& cheaper) to buy a wheelchair from Walmart’s! I just preorder online & collect it on the way from the airport.
At the end of holidays I’ve: taken it home - taken it to Goodwill - left it in the villa (owner was delighted) - left it at the airport ( with a porter).
Hope he feels better soon & you all have a great holiday.
disneywiseowl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 18, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
bigkid2014
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

We hire a small wheelchair (16”) for our 14 year old (renal failure). Have used Walker Mobility before but this year trying Apple Scooters as we are on Disney property for first time and they are on the Disney approved list and can just deliver/collect from luggage services without us having to be there in person. Cost works out to about £70 for a week.
bigkid2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 18, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
sasperella
Apprentice Imagineer

sasperella's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
This will be our 2nd time using Applescooter.com
Last year they delivered and picked up for free from Rosen Inn@PO. No problems.
This year we're doing split stay- so deliver to Disney then pick up Rosen Inn@PO.
$50 for 3 days then $5 a day after that. That's for adult wheelchair. Hope your son makes a full recovery.

Rosen Inn @ Pointe Orlando. Easter 2013, Sept/Oct 2015, Nov/Dec 2017
Wilderness Lodge 2018
AKL 2019, 2020, 2022. Beach Club 2023
sasperella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 18, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
MikeH23
Very Serious Dibber

MikeH23's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by sasperella View Post
This will be our 2nd time using Applescooter.com
Last year they delivered and picked up for free from Rosen Inn@PO. No problems.
This year we're doing split stay- so deliver to Disney then pick up Rosen Inn@PO.
$50 for 3 days then $5 a day after that. That's for adult wheelchair. Hope your son makes a full recovery.
We have just been looking into wheelchair hire with Applescooter.com does the rental cost include insurance or do they offer additional cover ?
MikeH23 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 18, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
hipthehippo
Imagineer

Originally Posted by babbymint View Post
I'm due at disney 29 July, last week my son (12) was taken seriously ill and we're currently at a London hospital and will likely be here for another 2-3 weeks. After that the docs think he should be ok and not to cancel my holiday just yet. Assuming he gets a fit to fly and of course I'll get relevant insurance, can I get a wheelchair from Disney? He should be fully mobile, but may get tired and can't see him being able to walk around too much. Thanks for any help and sorry for the ramble, it's been a tough week.
Sorry - can't help with the wheelchair thing as we've not done it for a while but just wanted to say I hope your son starts to feel better soon and wish him a speedy recovery. Sending some pixie dust your way

Growing old is mandatory, but, growing up is optional
"Live a Life that Matters" - Michael Josephson - RIP Dad 20.07.05
2006, 2007 - Rolling Hills / 2008 - Villa - can't remember! / 2009, 2010 - Sunset Lakes / 2011 - Indian Creek / 2012 - Sunset Lakes / 2013 - Emerald Island / 2014, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2023 - Sunset Lakes
hipthehippo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 18, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
bella9
VIP Dibber

babymint, how is your son doing? Can't help with your question, but I see that Dibbers have helped you out. Wanted to send hugs to all of you, and prayers for a speedy recovery for DS, and hope that he gets his fit to fly, and insurance sorted.
bella9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 18, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
sasperella
Apprentice Imagineer

sasperella's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by MikeH23 View Post
We have just been looking into wheelchair hire with Applescooter.com does the rental cost include insurance or do they offer additional cover ?
Hi,
Just checked my confirmation email. Says- "Damage and lost insurance- Free."

Rosen Inn @ Pointe Orlando. Easter 2013, Sept/Oct 2015, Nov/Dec 2017
Wilderness Lodge 2018
AKL 2019, 2020, 2022. Beach Club 2023
sasperella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 18, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
MikeH23
Very Serious Dibber

MikeH23's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by sasperella View Post
Hi,
Just checked my confirmation email. Says- "Damage and lost insurance- Free."
Ok that’s helpful to know, thanks for the quick reply 👍👍
MikeH23 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 18, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bella9 View Post
babymint, how is your son doing? Can't help with your question, but I see that Dibbers have helped you out. Wanted to send hugs to all of you, and prayers for a speedy recovery for DS, and hope that he gets his fit to fly, and insurance sorted.
thank you for your kind thoughts. We got home yesterday, having spent a total of 3 weeks in hospital - we have now got two weekly treks to London until he has an operation (kidney removed) hopefully in the school holidays. This is a different outcome than we were first given, so the wheelchair question has not turned into a rebooking question. I am going to try and ring Disney today to see if they will transefer our booking, but if we cant keep free dining, we might just rebook and pay oop.

Anyway, if nothing else, make sure you're insured everyone, my son was fit and well until this happened very suddenly.
babbymint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List