Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 14 Jun 18, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Mobile

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
sorry nice but dim Tim here.

Two adults one child.

.one adult has to wait outside ride with child while other adult goes in

Or we both go in and do rider switch?
Why not all 3 ride together?
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 18, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Procrastinator
Imagineer

Mobile

The disney site says this...
"Once at the attraction, approach the greeting Cast Member with your entire party. At least one adult member of your party and the Guests who are not riding will be given a Ride Switch pass and asked to wait in a designated area (usually outside of the attraction). This group is “Party 2.”

What is that about waiting in designated area?

Does that mean that while the first riders are on, the non riders have to wait by the ride? Bit boring for the non riding kid just so the first one gets a second go!
Procrastinator is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 18, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by toonarmani View Post
Why not all 3 ride together?
I assume they were asking about when their child can't go on the ride because the child doesn't meet the height requirement. So all 3 can't ride together.

If all 3 can ride then rider switch doesn't apply - they treat the ride like any other ride.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 01:59 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 18, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
I assume they were asking about when their child can't go on the ride because the child doesn't meet the height requirement. So all 3 can't ride together.

If all 3 can ride then rider switch doesn't apply - they treat the ride like any other ride.
Maybe I misunderstood the post, I read it as Adult and Child go on and other Adult waits then repeat, but makes sense if they can't go on.

Whereas I've seen other recent threads where people are doing this to get an extra ride for a child. e.g. A1+C ride whilst A2 waits (possibly with others or alone), then A2+C ride whilst A1 waits, so manipulating the system a little to get an extra ride for their child (which I'm sure everyone would love for their children to experience, but not the norm).
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 18, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Maybe I misunderstood the post, I read it as Adult and Child go on and other Adult waits then repeat, but makes sense if they can't go on.
They did say "One adult has to wait outside with child while other adult goes in". This is the normal way of using rider switch - each adult waits outside with the child whilst the other adult(s) go on the ride.

But that's just how I read it.

Whereas I've seen other recent threads where people are doing this to get an extra ride for a child. e.g. A1+C ride whilst A2 waits (possibly with others or alone), then A2+C ride whilst A1 waits, so manipulating the system a little to get an extra ride for their child (which I'm sure everyone would love for their children to experience, but not the norm).
Although I guess it's possible to do that (or at least it is at the moment), that's not how it's supposed to work. The whole point of rider switch is to allow both/all adults to go on a ride when a child either can't or doesn't want to go on the ride. It isn't supposed to be used to get an extra ride for the child. If everyone in the group can, and want to, ride then they should all ride together as they would normally.

But as with any system it can be 'abused' by a minority of people. This may be one of the reasons why Disney are changing the Rider Switch system later this month.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 04:59 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 18, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
They did say "One adult has to wait outside with child while other adult goes in". This is the normal way of using rider switch - each adult waits outside with the child whilst the other adult(s) go on the ride.

But that's just how I read it.

Although I guess it's possible to do that (or at least it is at the moment), that's not how it's supposed to work. The whole point of rider switch is to allow both/all adults to go on a ride when a child either can't or doesn't want to go on the ride. It isn't supposed to be used to get an extra ride for the child. If everyone in the group can, and want to, ride then they should all ride together as they would normally.

But as with any system it can be 'abused' by a minority of people. This may be one of the reasons why Disney are changing the Rider Switch system later this month.
Yeah having seen it again I misread whilst scrolling (my mistake).

On the latter, sadly when something can be abused it unfortunately is
Old 14 Jun 18, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
jobelly
Imagineer

We have done this numerous times in the past but so Mam or dad don’t ride alone. It is a bonus for the older children who have younger siblings but it is (or maybe was if the rules do change) allowed as rider switch tickets always said maximum of 3 persons. I don’t think it was abusing the system but using it as it was meant so people in a group don’t have to ride by themselves. If it wasn’t allowed it the rider switch tickets would have been for 1 person only.
The shame is that people were selling them and spoiling it for families who did use it correctly. This year I’m so pleased for most of the rides we can all go together as it saves the waiting around for the youngest but we still have maybe 3 or 4 rides she can’t do so I’m hoping for those the rider switch isn’t for a single person as I’d rather ride with my other kids than by myself.
Old 15 Jun 18, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Ball81
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by jobelly View Post
We have done this numerous times in the past but so Mam or dad don’t ride alone. It is a bonus for the older children who have younger siblings but it is (or maybe was if the rules do change) allowed as rider switch tickets always said maximum of 3 persons. I don’t think it was abusing the system but using it as it was meant so people in a group don’t have to ride by themselves. If it wasn’t allowed it the rider switch tickets would have been for 1 person only.
The shame is that people were selling them and spoiling it for families who did use it correctly. This year I’m so pleased for most of the rides we can all go together as it saves the waiting around for the youngest but we still have maybe 3 or 4 rides she can’t do so I’m hoping for those the rider switch isn’t for a single person as I’d rather ride with my other kids than by myself.

Totally agree in previous yrs with have used it well with one small child so just split the group in half then.

We now have 2 children. the smallest being 40inches just so he will only miss out on a couple of the bigger rides and i doubt he will do TOT but you never know (I have risked fastpasses for him just in case)

He should be able to book something else as he has paid for his ticket and the use of the fastpass booking. the perk Disney give is so the Adult accompanying him can then ride the bigger ride after with no queuing and Disney are kind enough to entitle 2 on as per their policy (but as we know it has been 3) so it can be enjoyed mostly likely again by my oldest child (daughter).

100% agree the re-sale is naughty and the possible new electronic system should work great, just hope we dont have to stand outside waiting and go and enjoy the park elsewhere whilst others ride.

Edited at 08:32 AM.
Ball81 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 18, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

If you don't have a fastpass then basically you shouldn't be even allowed to get in the fastpass line in the first place. The only exception should be a small child who isn't able to ride or under 3 and therefore wouldn't have a ticket. Anyone else should be refused entry and if CMs could be actually bothered to enforce this in the first place then the system wouldn't have needed ti be changed. It should still be like that with the new system and if it isn't then Disney haven't really fixed the issue.

The main change is stop people riding twice in the standby line and coming back another time.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 18, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by jobelly View Post
The Rider Switch system is meant to allow 2 or 3 people ride together. There's nothing wrong with that. That's not what we mean by "abusing" the system.

However, Rider Switch is only meant for those situations where your party has to split up because 1 (or more) members of your group cannot, or doesn't want to, go on the ride and needs supervising outside the ride. Typically this is a child who doesn't meet the height requirement.

If everyone in your group can go on the ride then you don't need Rider Switch. You all enter the ride together, queue together and can all ride together. Even if the ride vehicles cannot accommodate your entire group you can still split into smaller groups at the end of the queue - Rider Switch is therefore not required.

If everyone in the group can go on the ride and the Rider Switch system is purely being using so that a child (or anyone else) can quickly go on the ride twice without a second fastpass then that is abusing the original intention of Rider Switch.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 10:17 AM.