Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 13 Jun 18, 06:45 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Animal kingdom lodge value rooms are the hidden gem of DVC as far as I’m concerned.

As a family of four we don’t need the 5th person option generally (although it’s great to have it as an option when we travel with my mum), but the value rooms - oh my word! - with clever planning we managed to eek out our points booking value studios for a couple of years to end up having enough points to book an extra vacation!

As a previous poster said, getting value rooms at AKL is often impossible at the 7 month window and they really are a DVC bargain in terms of point useage!

Having said that, I’ve never stayed at SSR so I can’t compare the resorts, but AKL is stunning!
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 18, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
vhm672
Imagineer

vhm672's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
The issue with availability is that whilst points are limited they are based on selling the whole resort, which at most resorts is a range of accommodation from studios to grand villas.

If due to economic reasons or people wanting to maximise their nights or number of visits compromise on size of accommodation taking a studio rather than a one bed it puts pressure on the availability which is why at certain times of year home advantage is necessary.

I remain a fan of buying where you want to stay. That is not saying you can't try new places - I visited SS for the first time last year and will be staying at BCV for the first time in September, however year on year I would be happy staying at BLT and BWV which are my home resorts.
vhm672 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 18, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
First & foremost we own at SSR & love it, so in it's defence you can't beat the fact that you are only 5 mins walk to Disney Springs, 15-20 for off-site restaurants & even 45-60 mins from the Outlets at Vineland. We can stay at SSR & no need for a car. But AKL is stunning, & if DS was out of the equation, better choice of restaurants. You have 2 chances at rooms below the cost of SSR - Value & standard- but I think if I'm going to stay there then I'd want SV.
As I've mentioned before, we are looking at a 100-125 add on, & as much as we like the look of CC, I don't think that you can beat the value of both SSR & AKL.
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 18, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Shooby doo View Post
First & foremost we own at SSR & love it, so in it's defence you can't beat the fact that you are only 5 mins walk to Disney Springs, 15-20 for off-site restaurants & even 45-60 mins from the Outlets at Vineland. We can stay at SSR & no need for a car. But AKL is stunning, & if DS was out of the equation, better choice of restaurants. You have 2 chances at rooms below the cost of SSR - Value & standard- but I think if I'm going to stay there then I'd want SV.
As I've mentioned before, we are looking at a 100-125 add on, & as much as we like the look of CC, I don't think that you can beat the value of both SSR & AKL.
SD
Arghhh it’s so hard as I like both and come on it’s Disney what’s not to like in any property. AKL would win for me but it’s the dues. SV is amazing...
Wow CC that is just the business I bet you can never get in there at 7 months
If anyone else reads this I would love your pros/cons as an owner
Old 14 Jun 18, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
TBh at 7 months you can get "2 bites at the cherry" as BRV is the same site, the CC studios are just converted WL hotel rooms, the cabins of course are something completely different. CC dues are also fairly high, at the minute, but may go down once the resort is fully sold.
We'll probably make our decision once we've stayed at AKV, this year, as currently we have only visited to eat. The main thing we are looking at is the "distance thing" & whether actually it is an issue at all !
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
Shooby doo is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 18, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Shooby doo View Post
TBh at 7 months you can get "2 bites at the cherry" as BRV is the same site, the CC studios are just converted WL hotel rooms, the cabins of course are something completely different. CC dues are also fairly high, at the minute, but may go down once the resort is fully sold.
We'll probably make our decision once we've stayed at AKV, this year, as currently we have only visited to eat. The main thing we are looking at is the "distance thing" & whether actually it is an issue at all !
SD
Hi shooby👋 Long time no speak! Hope you are keeping well?

Just wondered - do you have a car and eat offsite at all? It’s just we always drive and prefer to eat offsite and for us AKL is ideal - there is a shortcut through to the 192 along Sherbeth Rd (right by the animal kingdom lodge entrance) and you are literally at all of the offsite restaurants on the 192 in minutes - it’s fab!

I also find AKL perfect for stays when I don’t necessarily want to visit the parks (last year we had a week there after our annual pass ran out, and it was far enough removed from the Disney stuff that we didn’t miss it - no way could I have stayed at our other home resort, BLT, and not wanted to go to the parks! Lol!) xx
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 18, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Hi Amy All well & hope you are too We haven't used or needed a car on our last 3 stays & with staying at Saratoga it's been easy enough to walk to the Crossroads. This is actually an un-planned AKL stay, as we had a week on Free dining, at SSR, before our DVC stay (hence the reason we are going to add-on as we keep running out ! )- Originally got moved to POR but refused to accept it & then got offered SV at Jambo. We also have a week at Jambo booked for next year but are really looking to move this to WL, as it's currently not being offered for our dates. We are going to get a car next year but probably use MDE to & from airport - obviously easier to accommodate people instead of people & suitcases.
Thanks for tips, tbh I think I've only been along the 192 once! There used to be a Nike outlet along there.
SD
Old 14 Jun 18, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Licoricelover
Excited about Disney

Another plus for Animal Kingdom some of the value rooms have a Savannah view. We have only had a pool view once and almost always book 2 value studios each year. So much cheaper on points than a Savannah view room just sleeps one less. However you cannot choose a Savannah view and it's the luck of the draw on check in. The earlier you check in the more chance you have of a Savannah room. In September the value rooms are 9 points with pool or Savannah view. Makes our points go so much further.
Licoricelover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 18, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Licoricelover View Post
Another plus for Animal Kingdom some of the value rooms have a Savannah view. We have only had a pool view once and almost always book 2 value studios each year. So much cheaper on points than a Savannah view room just sleeps one less. However you cannot choose a Savannah view and it's the luck of the draw on check in. The earlier you check in the more chance you have of a Savannah room. In September the value rooms are 9 points with pool or Savannah view. Makes our points go so much further.
That is really a great way of utilising your pts! Are they the same as the normal studios? Why are they so cheap? I suspect they prob aren’t left over at 7 months to bk?(unless you are really lucky!)
I don’t understand why AKL is one of the cheaper resorts to buy as I thought it was a deluxe? Am I missing something? I know it’s quite far from the parks... maybe that why but it has its own savannah... every hotel has its positives
Old 14 Jun 18, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Licoricelover
Excited about Disney

Value studios slightly smaller as they were converted from the old hotel rooms. Have stayed in both and difference really not noticeable. Price wise not sure as Animal kingdom is very popular with dvc owners and nothing available in Jambo in any category when we go in September. However 1 beds are available at SS. We have worked our way through all the dvc hotels but always stay at AK for part of the time.
Licoricelover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List