Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 17 Jun 18, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Kenya Safari

Looking for advice for some first timers wanting to do a Safari in Kenya.

It’s for me and my Dad, and possibly my brother - my Mum and husband aren’t interested so we’re leaving them behind.

I’ve seen a deal with a local travel agent which includes 3 game drives in Samburu National Park, a night at Treetops, a visit to Nyahururu, Lake Nakuru National Park, a boat trip on Lake Naivasha, 2 nights in Masai Mara Reserve with 3 game drives, visit to a Masai village and a night in Nairobi. It’s 7 nights in total and is £2300 based on flights from London.

I have no idea if this is a good trip or a good price. Can anyone advise? Also, can anyone suggest any other tour operators to check out?

Thanks!
Old 17 Jun 18, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
charandcubby
slightly serious Dibber

I can’t advise on price as my husbands brother lives in Kenya so we always stay with him when we visit him, I know safari holidays to Kenya are usually quite expensive though. In terms of itinerary though it sounds really good, the Masai Mara is stunning and so vast it’s an amazing place to visit, lake Nakuru is great and Naivasha,we went on a boat ride there and saw lots of hippos also visiting a Masai village is a great experience. If you are in Nairobi try to visit the David sheldrick elephant orphanage or giraffe manor, you can do both in a day and you can feed the giraffes at the manor. We stopped st treetops lodge for a drink quite a few years ago but I remember it being nice there, happy planning!
June/July 2011 TLV, Nov/Dec 2011 LBV
May/June 2001 RPM, Sept 2005 BWL
charandcubby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 18, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
merlinsmum
Having Dinner with Goofy

We have booked for next year. Haven't booked the flights yet, just the actual safari. Started off looking at the tour operators but decided we would like a bit more adventure and if poss would like a fly in safari rather than spending time on the roads. Most fly ins were way out of our budget but I found if we compromised on accommodation we could experience private conservancies that allow night drives etc and use open sided 4 x 4 instead of the mini buses. We plumped for a Porini adventure camp.

I would say work out what is important to you (national parks to visit, accommodation, mode of transport) and see what is available in budget. Compromise if you need to on an area less important to you (for us accommodation, for others transport)

Also hoping to adopt an baby elephant in the sanctuary and visit whilst in Nairobi. I've heard they have special quiet evenings for adopters to visit and spend time there.

I really cannot wait - a lifelong dream of mine. Good luck with your planning.

P.S just for info the safari we chose was £1730 pp for October time. By the time we add flights and a Nairobi hotel I think we will be at circa £2250 each. That includes meals and mineral water - alcohol is extra which I may need to get to sleep in a dome tent with lions roaring out there!

EDIT - also, choose time of year carefully. Google for advice as to when to go

Edited at 11:07 PM.
merlinsmum is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 18, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
inky1
Imagineer

We honeymooned in Kenya in October (25 years ago next year)
We stayed at the Bamburi Beach hotel near Mombasa and could only afford an overnight safari we went via a game drive through Tsavo and stayed at Salt Lick lodge with circular rooms and they pulled the drawbridge up at night .
It is a stunningly beautiful country the people are lovely and it’s a real privilege to go there .
We booked with a company called Somak I don’t even know if they still operate
It was the year the lion king came out and I was thrilled to find out they really do say Hakuna Matata .
I hope you have a fabulous time .

Edited at 07:44 PM.
inky1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 18, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
A lady I follow on Facebook - Maria Phillips My Travel Fairy has just come back from a safari.

Looks awesome and something id love to do.

It was all done through Somak holidays.

Might be worth a look for some research?

Katie x
katiec68 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 18, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
MichelleS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by merlinsmum View Post
We have booked for next year. Haven't booked the flights yet, just the actual safari. Started off looking at the tour operators but decided we would like a bit more adventure and if poss would like a fly in safari rather than spending time on the roads. Most fly ins were way out of our budget but I found if we compromised on accommodation we could experience private conservancies that allow night drives etc and use open sided 4 x 4 instead of the mini buses. We plumped for a Porini adventure camp.

I would say work out what is important to you (national parks to visit, accommodation, mode of transport) and see what is available in budget. Compromise if you need to on an area less important to you (for us accommodation, for others transport)

Also hoping to adopt an baby elephant in the sanctuary and visit whilst in Nairobi. I've heard they have special quiet evenings for adopters to visit and spend time there.

I really cannot wait - a lifelong dream of mine. Good luck with your planning.

P.S just for info the safari we chose was £1730 pp for October time. By the time we add flights and a Nairobi hotel I think we will be at circa £2250 each. That includes meals and mineral water - alcohol is extra which I may need to get to sleep in a dome tent with lions roaring out there!

EDIT - also, choose time of year carefully. Google for advice as to when to go
We have adopted an elephant,she is called Kiasa every month we receive an update
We went to the orphanage about 5 in the evening and watched all the elephants come back and go to bed ,some people were lucky enough to bottle feed the elephants .
It’s certainly a very special place

1996 Music - 2004 Sports - 2006 Movies & POR - 2007 Loews Miami Beach & Buena Vista Palace
2008 Fairfield Inn / St Augustine / POR - 2011 Springhill Suites LBV
Aug 2022 Disney All Stars (with Grandchildren)
MichelleS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List