Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 17 Jun 18, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Use year

So does use year have a big impact... the Resales I’ve seen that I would go for are Aug,Sept and Dec? We would normally Holiday between May- Aug. I get the banking and borrowing (i think) but don’t want to choose the ‘wrong’ use year
Old 17 Jun 18, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

It only really matters if you cancel. It’s best if you holiday st the start of your use year so that if you cancel you have longer to reschedule. If you cancel just before your use year end it could be too late to even bank the points.

However I think most of us would only cancel in an extreme circumstance and it’s possible to rent out the points and /or reservation so it’s not something I worry about too much.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 18, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
It only really matters if you cancel. It’s best if you holiday st the start of your use year so that if you cancel you have longer to reschedule. If you cancel just before your use year end it could be too late to even bank the points.

However I think most of us would only cancel in an extreme circumstance and it’s possible to rent out the points and /or reservation so it’s not something I worry about too much.
Great thank you...
Old 18 Jun 18, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
UY really only fits in when you need to cancel, ideally you have an 8 month window to look for, you do not want a UY where your normal holidays are going to fall in the non-banking window, as it gives you limited options. Not all Months have a UY (not sure why?) but we normally travel Sep/Oct & have a Jun UY- obviously Aug would have been the optimum but Jun is close enough.
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 18, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Licoricelover
Excited about Disney

We have April use year as we used to travel May/June. We now go September, hasn't made any difference. As everyone says only a problem if you have to cancel.
Licoricelover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 18, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

So say the UY is Sept and I have the last 2 weeks of Aug and need to cancel, can you bank the points? I think April UY for me would be good as we travel May,June or Aug. However if I see a good deal need to understand the pitfalls of UY as some I’ve seen are Aug and Sept
TIA
Old 18 Jun 18, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

The only other time UY matters is when buying a new contract and whether enough points have 'come on' for first trip and, indeed, whether too many points are on you can rent out to offset some purchase cost.
For example, you plan to go August 2019, buy a stripped contract, a UY of Feb may be a lot better than September, particularly if you go every other year and will need 2 years of points.
Old 18 Jun 18, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
The only other time UY matters is when buying a new contract and whether enough points have 'come on' for first trip and, indeed, whether too many points are on you can rent out to offset some purchase cost.
For example, you plan to go August 2019, buy a stripped contract, a UY of Feb may be a lot better than September, particularly if you go every other year and will need 2 years of points.
The one you bought would have been perfect for me ha
Old 18 Jun 18, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Rockette
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tweety1 View Post
So say the UY is Sept and I have the last 2 weeks of Aug and need to cancel, can you bank the points? I think April UY for me would be good as we travel May,June or Aug. However if I see a good deal need to understand the pitfalls of UY as some I’ve seen are Aug and Sept
TIA
It depends, if you need to cancel you can bank them (if they are bankable, ie current year points) up to four months before your use year. So September, last banking date would be 30th April. In that case your points would be safe if you cancel before 30th April.

If you cancel after your banking date but more than 30 days before your trip, you have until August 31st to take a trip or rent them to someone taking a trip before August 31st or swap them into RCI.

If you cancel less than 30 days before your trip, you've pretty much lost them as they will go into holding, you can then only book something within 60 days, and you have to use them by August 30th anyway.

Hope that helps, there's so many different scenarios it's tricky to explain everything without creating more confusion.

1982:I-Drive 2007:I-Drive 2009:I-Drive 2010:POR 2011:OKW 2012:BCV/AKV 2013:BCV/VB/OKW, BCR/BWV 2014:SSR/BCV, WBTA/NYC 2015:BCV, BCV/OKW 2016:BWV, WBTA/BCV 2017:VWL/BCV, MED CRUISE, FANTASY/BLT/BCV 2018:BRV/BWV, AKV/CARIBBEAN CRUISE/BWV 2019:BWV/VB/EBTA,BCV 2022:RIV/BWV, BWV, VB/CRUISE/SSR 2023:Mexico, RIV/BWV, Med Cruise, WBTA 2024 BLT, BWV, Egypt
Rockette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 18, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rockette View Post
It depends, if you need to cancel you can bank them (if they are bankable, ie current year points) up to four months before your use year. So September, last banking date would be 30th April. In that case your points would be safe if you cancel before 30th April.

If you cancel after your banking date but more than 30 days before your trip, you have until August 31st to take a trip or rent them to someone taking a trip before August 31st or swap them into RCI.

If you cancel less than 30 days before your trip, you've pretty much lost them as they will go into holding, you can then only book something within 60 days, and you have to use them by August 30th anyway.

Hope that helps, there's so many different scenarios it's tricky to explain everything without creating more confusion.
This helps a lot thank you as like I said we Holiday between May-Aug so a UY like Sept wouldn’t be too good as I know no one plans to cancel but you never know. I think Feb or April UY would be good for me then