Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Apr 21, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
First adult passport- counter signature

My daughter needs to apply for her first adult passport. The photo needs to be countersigned but she just doesn’t know anyone in one of the professions listed.

It also says it can be signed by “ a person of good standing” What does this actually mean ? My friends are all people of “good standing” but their jobs are not “ professionals”. They have known her from birth.

Having read it may take 10 weeks I want to get the application done... just in case of course !

Thanks all in advance for any help !
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 21, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Firekat
VIP Dibber

Doctor, although they will charge a fee.
Ex teacher? If she's no longer at the school she could call and ask a teacher she knew well.
Firekat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 21, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
My daughter needs to apply for her first adult passport. The photo needs to be countersigned but she just doesn’t know anyone in one of the professions listed.

It also says it can be signed by “ a person of good standing” What does this actually mean ? My friends are all people of “good standing” but their jobs are not “ professionals”. They have known her from birth.

Having read it may take 10 weeks I want to get the application done... just in case of course !

The post office verify documents (for a charge) so see if the passport office would accept this
Old 8 Apr 21, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Toria_dee
VIP Dibber

If she already has a child passport, it's just a renewal, no countersignature needed. First adult passports are only for people over the age of 16 who has never held a passport before.

x

ETA - the professional thing is a red herring really. It needs to be countersigned by someone who has known her for the required time who has something to lose (if the application was fraudulent) and charges were brought. Wee Jimmy the junkie who has never worked a day in his life has nothing to lose from helping someone fraudulently obtain a passport, but Big Jimmy who works in Tesco, has a wife, children, mortgage etc has a lot to lose if convicted and sent to jail.

x

DLP Cheyenne 1999, Day trip 2001, DCR 2011, Cheyenne 2014, DCR 2015, DCR 2023
Lapland Dec 2024
WDW Dibb villa July 2017
First time on-site CSR March 2025

Edited at 09:32 PM.
Toria_dee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 21, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Toria_dee
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Firekat View Post
Ex teacher? If she's no longer at the school she could call and ask a teacher she knew well.
Doctors cannot sign now unless they are a personal friend. A doctor who treats you/is your GP isn't allowed to countersign anymore.

xx

DLP Cheyenne 1999, Day trip 2001, DCR 2011, Cheyenne 2014, DCR 2015, DCR 2023
Lapland Dec 2024
WDW Dibb villa July 2017
First time on-site CSR March 2025
Toria_dee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 21, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

From gov guidelines :

A countersignature must be a person who enjoys a good reputation in the community, possesses a current British passport and has
credentials that can be checked, and who would have something to lose by wrongly countersigning an application. For logistical
reasons it is not possible to provide a comprehensive list of all professions and organisations where persons holding a responsible
position are acceptable to verify passport applications.
While there is no qualification for a "person of similar standing" this may be interpreted in the widest sense, but it must always be
borne in mind that a countersignature should normally be someone who:
• has qualifications that can be checked; and,
• it is believed will not risk a career or reputation by knowingly making an untrue statement in completing the countersigning
section of an application form.
NOTE: An unemployed person who has appropriate credentials is not precluded from countersigning an application.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 21, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Firekat View Post
A doctor needs to be know personally not just professionally. She is still at school and would feel very awkward asking for a teacher to do it as it asks for personal information.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 21, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

I renewed my 16 year old sons in February and he didn't need the photo countersigned. He was renewing from a child passport - I did it online and it came with no issues.
jndt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 21, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We did my sons 2 weeks ago and no countersignature was needed as it was a renewal (he was also going from child to adult)
We did it online and had to post his old passport back. The new one arrived in less than 2 weeks
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 21, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
rhyger
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
We did my sons 2 weeks ago and no countersignature was needed as it was a renewal (he was also going from child to adult)
We did it online and had to post his old passport back. The new one arrived in less than 2 weeks
Exactly the same for us, did 17yr old ds tonight. Took us longer to take the photo than fill in the form!
rhyger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List