Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 1 Jul 21, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Scotsmomma2 View Post
And he loves the pub 🤣
He certainly does!
Not only does he get a few treats, but he’s a favourite with all the bar staff who fuss him even more than we do 😊

Kids like the pub too, but we leave them at home 😂
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 21, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Wee_Red
Imagineer

Wee_Red's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Libby View Post
There seem to be two different things going on here. Some people are annoyed by phrases that other people deliberately choose to use. e.g. "birds", "guys" etc.

The second group are annoyed by other people's misuse of the English language, punctuation, spelling, etc. It particularly annoys my DD and she even wears this t-shirt,

I used, also, to be firmly in this camp, but now I am trying to be a little more tolerant of other people's struggle with English. I work with children who find this all very difficult and I am sure will continue to do so right into adult life. As long as they can get their message across what does it matter if they have the odd spelling or grammatical mistake?
I know what you mean. I think it stems from being a perfectionist as a child, though not necessarily through choice - It wasn't acceptable in school to make mistakes such as your/you're or they're/their/there and it sticks with you.
In my head I will be going "no, that's not the correct spelling" but as you've said, working with people that struggle shows that it's not laziness or the like and it doesn't help to critique.

I only correct when I'm asked to proofread.
Wee_Red is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 21, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Bondy007
Imagineer

Originally Posted by AlexE View Post
When we go to a restaurant/pub/cafe and am asked "what can I get for you guys?"
I am not a guy
and DH does like being called mate when he doesnt know the person
A little similar to this, i'm not overly keen on being called "pal".
Old 1 Jul 21, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Bondy007
Imagineer

Hi, I mostly agree with this, and will openly admit that I have pointed out grammatical/spelling errors on many an occasion. But, this is only because in a world that communicates largely in written (e-mail) form it can be very important not to be misunderstood. Grammar and spelling in this instance is, or can be critical.

This thread has tended to sway across the 2 subjects you have indincated, but I hope (have not read all) that most are (as intended) light hearted and not overly critical. I would hate that to have happened.

Originally Posted by Libby View Post
There seem to be two different things going on here. Some people are annoyed by phrases that other people deliberately choose to use. e.g. "birds", "guys" etc.

The second group are annoyed by other people's misuse of the English language, punctuation, spelling, etc. It particularly annoys my DD and she even wears this t-shirt,

I used, also, to be firmly in this camp, but now I am trying to be a little more tolerant of other people's struggle with English. I work with children who find this all very difficult and I am sure will continue to do so right into adult life. As long as they can get their message across what does it matter if they have the odd spelling or grammatical mistake?
Old 1 Jul 21, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bondy007 View Post
Hi, I mostly agree with this, and will openly admit that I have pointed out grammatical/spelling errors on many an occasion. But, this is only because in a world that communicates largely in written (e-mail) form it can be very important not to be misunderstood. Grammar and spelling in this instance is, or can be critical.

This thread has tended to sway across the 2 subjects you have indincated, but I hope (have not read all) that most are (as intended) light hearted and not overly critical. I would hate that to have happened.
I totally agree. Some mistakes can really jar and sometimes I have to read something a few times before I can understand it, but the mistakes are not always by choice and not always important.
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 21, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Ryles
Imagineer

Definitely hun! Especially if you send someone a message on Facebook marketplace and she comes back and says ‘yes hun it’s still available’ um I don’t know you so I’m certainly not your hun!
Old 1 Jul 21, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

For me it's:

Do you want me to come with?
Drinkie poos
Awesome Sauce
Hun.
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 21, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by snowbelle View Post
“ Enjoy” when you are served a meal
I sort of agree, but then again I suppose it's better the server says "Enjoy" than "Good luck keeping that down"
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 21, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Annual Leave
Whoop Whoop

And several of the ones on this thread , especially hun, babes and to a lesser extent ‘love’
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 21, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by buryboy View Post
Annual Leave
Whoop Whoop

And several of the ones on this thread , especially hun, babes and to a lesser extent ‘love’
I absolutely detest ‘Whoop whoop!’

‘Hun’ gets a person deleted from my Facebook account unless written in jest. I feel sure that persons concerned were devastated.

They are right up there with ‘Hollybobs’, ‘Drinkie Poos’ and misuse of the phrase ‘Staycation’.

As I said before though.. ‘Cheeky’ is my number 1 hate.

Whilst I am not an advocate of a return to the words of Shakespeare or even Dickens, I have no wish to regress to the language of a 4 year old being fed with an ‘aeroplane spoon’ whilst wearing a Pelican Bib.

Edited at 08:32 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List