Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 12 Jul 21, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
That assumes Disney decides to do a free DDP offer this year for next year. Which seems highly unlikely considering they already have a free dining offer in place that will run until the beginning of November.

Disney may offer free DDP next year for 2023. But no one will have bought the free dining credit offer for 2023 yet and therefore they can transfer it.

I think most people don't expect a free DDP offer to appear this year. However, based on Disney's announcement, we now know the paid DDP will reappear sometime in the future, probably later this year.
What I am expecting is some kind of upgrade offer. So paid DDP gets released, people booked on the dining credits offer can use the value of this towards the cost of the plan as long as they switch before departure. Same way you used to be able to pay the difference to upgrade to full DDP if you got QSDP free.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 21, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by loldis View Post
What I am expecting is some kind of upgrade offer. So paid DDP gets released, people booked on the dining credits offer can use the value of this towards the cost of the plan as long as they switch before departure. Same way you used to be able to pay the difference to upgrade to full DDP if you got QSDP free.
Except the value of the dining credits offer is zero. It's free.

I guess what you are suggesting could happen, I suppose. The upgrade cost would be fairly significant for families of 3 or more. The value of the dining credits for a deluxe resort is only around £700 for 14 nights. Whereas the cost of DDP for a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 children) for 14 nights is over £2300 based on previous prices. So the cost to upgrade to DDP would be at least £1600, probably more if 2022 prices are more.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 05:28 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 21, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Except the value of the dining credits offer is zero. It's free.

I guess what you are suggesting could happen, I suppose. The upgrade cost would be fairly significant for families of 3 or more. The value of the dining credits for a deluxe resort is only around £700 for 14 nights. Whereas the cost of DDP for a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 children) for 14 nights is over £2300 based on previous prices. So the cost to upgrade to DDP would be at least £1600, probably more if 2022 prices are more.
You knew what I meant.

Yes, not saying it would be a cheap upgrade! But definitely seen a few posters on here saying they would pay for DDP even with the dining credits, e.g. purchase QSDP and use the dining card to cover TS meals or even purchase full DDP and use the card for items not covered like extra drinks. Which I can see some value in for those wanting to have the bulk of their spend paid for up front.

I'm hoping they keep the current offer forever, at least at the value/mod level. But I'm the minority that it benefits over DDP.
Old 15 Jul 21, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Has anyone noticed on DFB that the symbols for the DDP are showing on the menus for the Food and Wine at Epcot?
Maybe grasping at straws here but could it mean it will be back (in whatever form) before the end of the festival?
Joshie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 21, 06:40 AM  
Link to this Post
aprilshack
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Joshie1 View Post
Has anyone noticed on DFB that the symbols for the DDP are showing on the menus for the Food and Wine at Epcot?
Maybe grasping at straws here but could it mean it will be back (in whatever form) before the end of the festival?
They have never gone from past menus since the parks reopened.
aprilshack is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 21, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Yes, not saying it would be a cheap upgrade! But definitely seen a few posters on here saying they would pay for DDP even with the dining credits, e.g. purchase QSDP and use the dining card to cover TS meals or even purchase full DDP and use the card for items not covered like extra drinks. Which I can see some value in for those wanting to have the bulk of their spend paid for up front.
I think it is more likely that Disney will allow people to pay in full for the QSDP or DDP whilst also keeping their 'free' dining credits. I think it's less likely they will allow people to use the value of the dining credits to partially pay for the QSDP/DDP.

But, in the vast majority of cases, paying for QSDP or DDP is more expensive than paying out-of-pocket. You have to use all the TS/QS and snack credits and choose items that are above the average cost in order to make it work. I know I would spend less paying out-of-pocket for onsite meals than if I bought a dining plan.

The only benefit I can see with paying in full for the DDP or QSDP is paying for it up front. Personally, I don't see why someone can't just stick that money onto one of those prepaid cards and use that to pay for things whilst there. Take that £2300 I mentioned earlier, transfer it onto the prepaid card, then get a marker pen and write "Disney Dining Plan" on it.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 21, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

The only benefit I can see with paying in full for the DDP or QSDP is paying for it up front. Personally, I don't see why someone can't just stick that money onto one of those prepaid cards and use that to pay for things whilst there. Take that £2300 I mentioned earlier, transfer it onto the prepaid card, then get a marker pen and write "Disney Dining Plan" on it.
I agree with you on this. I've never seen the value of DDP personally which is why I like the new offer.

But I think others like to think in credits rather than dollars, so would rather have the plan. Seems to make paying $40 for a plate of bacon, eggs and waffles at somewhere like Ohana (when it was character dining, I know it's currently cheaper) easier. It's only 1 credit! Meanwhile, I'm down at Capt Cooks getting pretty much the same plate for $10.

Edited at 10:47 AM.
Old 16 Jul 21, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Joshie1 View Post
As aprilshack said, they've always been on the menus. Disney never took them off the menus at any time in the last 12 months since the parks reopened. That included the menus for the Flower and Garden Festival at Epcot that was earlier this year - they were on those menus but the dining plans never returned then.

Their appearance on the Food and Wine Festival menus is no indication of when the dining plans will be back.

That's not to say they couldn't come back around then. Just that we don't know.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 10:46 AM.
Old 16 Jul 21, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
But I think others like to think in credits rather than dollars, so would rather have the plan. Seems to make paying $40 for a plate of bacon, eggs and waffles at somewhere like Ohana (when it was character dining, I know it's currently cheaper) easier. It's only 1 credit! Meanwhile, I'm down at Capt Cooks getting pretty much the same plate for $10.
Yes, you are probably right. Thinking of it in terms of credits, rather than pounds or dollars, does make it seem more... acceptable. It also means that you don't feel obliged to always pick the cheaper options on the menu.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~