Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Jun 21, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Injury for third parties is often related to mass and speed (physics).
An e- scooter is less mass than most push bikes never mind an ebike.
Most of the mass comes from the rider. I can lift a bike but I can't lift most adults. Thus a person travelling 15mph or 20mph on an e-scooter will tend to do almost as much damage as someone travelling 15mph or 20mph on a bicycle.

Having said that, you're right that bikes can cause injuries to pedestrians. Which is why bikes aren't usually allowed to be ridden on pavements.

I regularly see bikes being ridden on pavements (mostly legally), precincts etc.
It is illegal to ride a bicycle on the pavement unless the pavement has been designated (and usually adapted/widened) as a cycle way. See rule 64 of the highway code: "You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement". Same goes for precincts - you're not usually allowed to ride a bicycle in a pedestrian precinct unless it has been designated as a cycle way.

I've been stopped by a policeman in the past for riding a bicycle in a precinct when I shouldn't.

I don’t agree with a nanny state, and people should be able to do their own risk assessments.
I have no issues with people campaigning for changes to the legislation to allow these e-scooters. Although, as they are powered vehicles, they would need to be registered, the proper safety features added (lights, reflectors, helmet to be worn, etc) and their speed limited (IMO). However, until the law changes, people must still comply with the law. And, currently, it is illegal to ride these e-scooters on a public pavement or on public roads. No ifs and no buts.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

I think ALL road users should have training/testing, protection/helmet and insurance. That includes e-scooters, bikes, mobility scooters ...
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Libby View Post
I think ALL road users should have training/testing, protection/helmet and insurance. That includes e-scooters, bikes, mobility scooters ...
I agree. I don't think we should nanny them and tell them they can't go on the road. But we should ensure they all get the same level of training/testing, be insured in case the worst happens, and have some level of protection.

Not to single them out but, for example, cyclists need to follow the rules of the road and traffic signs/signals just as much as car drivers. Therefore I don't see why they shouldn't be tested like car drivers (where possible).

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

MH you won’t be happy….

The report on escooter use just released. It’s recommending possibly legalising the scooters including private ones and cracking down on pavement riding.

Seems sensible to me.

publications.parliament.uk/p...dTextAnchor037
Old 16 Jun 21, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post
jpy10
Excited about Disney

I love mine, I'm a 45 yr old man, went to see some friend in Munich last year (just before Lockdown) and we rode them round Munich, there are areas where you can't ride and if caught you get a fine, yes they go 15mph but I can actually ride my cycle faster than that down Blackpool promenade.

yes they are illegal with only rented scooters on the relevant scheme allowed, it's my choice and I know the risks when riding it, but when nipping to the shops its so much more environmentally friendly / quicker to just go on that.

It doesn't help that there are an huge amount of knock off's about so that's what makes them cheaper, mine was nearly £400 from Halfords but the knock off are barely £200 so they are everywhere.

I don't go out in anything other than sunshine as they are not waterproof.
Old 16 Jun 21, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Lisa Banes: Gone Girl and Cocktail actress, 65, dies after being hit by 'electric scooter' in New York City - Wonder if anything will be done about them being illegally ridden here if, God forbid, something like this happens here !

My mum was rode into by a kid on a bike on the pavement some years ago and had to have 32 stitches in her leg ! The kid was never caught, just rode off. How many times has things like this got to happen with illegal riding of bikes or now e-scooters before there is a clampdown!

Edited at 05:19 PM.
THE WIZARD is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Originally Posted by THE WIZARD View Post
Lisa Banes: Gone Girl and Cocktail actress, 65, dies after being hit by 'electric scooter' in New York City - Wonder if anything will be done about them being illegally ridden here if, God forbid, something like this happens here !

My mum was rode into by a kid on a bike on the pavement some years ago and had to have 32 stitches in her leg ! The kid was never caught, just rode off. How many times has things like this got to happen with illegal riding of bikes or now e-scooters before there is a clampdown!
I read about this poor lady this morning and thought about this thread. Sadly I think it is only a matter of time before something as awful happens here.
marypoppins38 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

My wife just saw the following on facebook regards what happened in our Borough on an escooter:

mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

MH you won’t be happy….

The report on escooter use just released. It’s recommending possibly legalising the scooters including private ones and cracking down on pavement riding.

Seems sensible to me.

publications.parliament.uk/p...dTextAnchor037
If escooters become legal and as suggested the police take a hard line approach to those using them on pavements and in parks and issue fines, penalty points and even confiscate them, then at least with them being on the road only it’s the riders that will suffer in a collision with a car or heavier vehicle so that’s the riders choice.

Some kids of junior school age even ride them where I live so I wonder if they will have a minimum age of 18 and a driving licence will be required as is the case for the legal hire (or at least aged 16).

I don’t think people realise that on an escooter you can be done for dangerous driving, and traffic offences just like being in a car or motorcycle (going through red traffic lights, drink riding etc).

Edited at 06:37 PM.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandobelle
VIP Dibber

Orlandobelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Passed the local primary at kicking put time on Monday.
Mum plus young child on one weaving in and out of the school run traffic - where is the common sense 🤔
I have little issue with them being ridden legally and sensibly, I also agree that road sense should be taught to anyone using the roads. (Not that it prevents even some drivers from acting like idiots...)
Orlandobelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List