Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 19 Jun 21, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
heighho
VIP Dibber

Holiday insurance - what if we get pregnant?

Hi everyone,
First things first, we booked Florida today and so excited. Only 418 days to go…

I’m hoping someone can advise on decent holiday insurance. The DW and I are looking to start a family and if we were to get pregnant ahead of the trip and be unable to travel, I’d like to try and ensure we have the best cover possible.

I know it may seem a bit daft to book a holiday like this whilst planning a family but this was a decision based on our circumstances…and plus we just need to go back!

Thanks,
Tim
Old 19 Jun 21, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

I’m not sure that a policy covers getting pregnant in the wait for a holiday, but whoever you booked with might let you change dates? Someone with more info will probably be along in a minute to help

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 21, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Would pregnancy be an insurable risk? I always though you could only insure against unexpected events.
tspill is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 21, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Busyb
Helping Mickey

If you are pregnant and unable to travel it would be a medical reason so yes you would be covered.
Busyb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 21, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
bronny
VIP Dibber

So pregnancy itself is not a medical reason not to travel. If you were high risk and unable to travel under doctor’s advice due to pregnancy then it would be.
POFQ December 2016
POFQ and Eagle Pointe - Sep 2018
Briar Grove villa, Hard Rock, wilderness lodge and Miami twice Christmas 2019

bronny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 21, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
KSB8989
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by bronny View Post
So pregnancy itself is not a medical reason not to travel. If you were high risk and unable to travel under doctor’s advice due to pregnancy then it would be.
This is exactly what I was told when I was pregnant.
KSB8989 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 21, 12:34 AM  
Link to this Post
heighho
VIP Dibber

Thanks everyone. We needed to get insurance anyway so got this sorted as we kind of arrived at the same conclusion.

Reading Virgins cancellation policy, it’s as follows:
More than 84 days - Loss of deposit
57-84 days - 30%
37-56 days - 50%
22-36 days - 70%
7-21 days- 90%
Less than 7 days - 100%

So at best we would lose our deposit and hopefully the insurance would cover that.

Hope this helps anyone who has the same question as me.
Old 20 Jun 21, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Wonder
Imagineer

potentially upsetting content below

Something you need to consider, if you do get pregnant before the holiday and will be pregnant at the time you travel you may need to consider getting additional insurance that specifically covers the baby.

I travelled to the US when pregnant with twins but I travelled there and back before the date of "viability" of the babies.

If you are travelling after approx 26 weeks pregnant then you may wish to look for specific travel insurance that would cover the baby should you go into early labour and actually have the baby.

Obviously you wouod know this closer to the time but just something extra to think about... It can be an additional couoke hundred pounds but it would give extra peace of mind in the event you were actually pregnant.
Old 20 Jun 21, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
heighho
VIP Dibber

That’s a really good note, Amanda. Appreciate that and will keep that in mind.
Old 20 Jun 21, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Good luck with the trying to conceive. Bear in mind that most airlines won't let you travel after about 26/28 weeks so if you're not successful in the next couple of months maybe calculi when you may need to pause to be able to fly.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List