Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Jul 21, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Books to read by age 18

As the title says, which books would you suggest anyone should have read during their teenage years?
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 21, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Catcher in the Rye
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 21, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Animal Farm
To kill a mocking Bird
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 21, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
Animal Farm
To kill a mocking Bird

These are in my list!
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 21, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Alison
I’ve re read them and Catcher in the Rye as well as War and Peace all of Jane Austin
The Bronte Sisters books
And most of DH Lawerence including my mother’s illicit copy of Lady Chats Lover over the last 18 months
DH has gone through his childhood Biggles school prise books and James Bond
And everyone should read at least one Agatha Christie
I’m on DR Zavagio ( spelling ) again
Even revisiting childhood classic now Wind in The Wilows Alice in Wonderland
Sometimes just one book catches your imagination and gives you a life long love of reading what ever it was
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 21, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

My aim is for my children to read some 'classics'

I'd like to start with to kill a mockingbird, which I read for gcse.

I mentioned this to my daughter, who said that they are no longer allowed to read American literature for gave😳😳😳 god help us with this present government.
Old 14 Jul 21, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Alison that’s absolutely rubbish and I’d have to challenge that classic books are just that
That attitude is a sure fire way to stop kids reading in this day and age
I was lucky ( I’ve Dyslexia so my teachers in Primary and an amazing English teacher knees I wanted to read so couldn’t care what I read )
If a non voluntary reader wanted to read absolute rubbish even vintage comic books
Penny horribles even the corn flakes packet it should be encouraged if you enjoy books you are never lonely never bored and learn so much that you don’t even know you do
Honestly I’m disgusted that anyone should discourage reading at any age
Old 14 Jul 21, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

I should add that 'gAve' in my previous post was strangely autocorrected from GCSE

Although it almost corrected to Gove! Between him and Gavin Williamson, I'm sure we will find the culprit disallowing American literature to be studied at GCSE

To get around this peculiarity, at my kids school, they read Of Mice and Men in yr 9 to enable them to read it before narrowing down the curriculum.

I want to spend this summer reading books with my teens that are meaningful and might shape their thinking

Edited at 11:10 PM.
Old 14 Jul 21, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Alison I:know something or one or 2 things are not spelt right but I’m tired so sorry
My dyslexia is the reason I’d never make light of any post on the Dibb when someone post something and one word might just change or make something worth somebody mocking oh and yes spell check can be a curse for some of us
Again sorry if someone calls me out
Old 14 Jul 21, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
Alison I:know something or one or 2 things are not spelt right but I’m tired so sorry
My dyslexia is the reason I’d never make light of any post on the Dibb when someone post something and one word might just change or make something worth somebody mocking oh and yes spell check can be a curse for some of us
Again sorry if someone calls me out
Sorry gryff, I wasn't calling you out ... it was my post that autocorrected incorrectly!

I think we both agree that restricting literature is wrong 🙂🙂🙂🙂