Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 15 Jul 21, 05:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Jamaica tips

With another Florida trip cancelled what else is there for a good dibber to do but book a replacement holiday.

I've booked up to go to Jamaica for 2 weeks, we fly on 27th July and will stay in an all inclusive resort in Negril.

Does anyone have any tips or favourite excursions they went on in Jamaica? I'm hoping I can convince the kids to leave the pool at least a couple of times they are both looking forward to a more laid back trip. Has anyone done a sugar plantation tour or any other day trips they would recommend?

Thanks

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.

Edited at 05:43 AM.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 21, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

We’ve just been looking on Tui at a hotel in Negril, Jamaica. Very sorely tempted. What tests are required do you know?

Thanks

Hope you have a great time.👍🏻
Rac20 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 21, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

We are - hopefully - off to Negril on the 30th.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 21, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hi

We booked through TUI, extra leg room flights, hotel, coach transfers, all inclusive food and drink £5k for the four of us, kids are 16 and 14. Oh and the hotel we went for was Riu Negril so we have 2 rooms, meaning we can spread out and not have to share bathrooms. Seemed too good a deal to turn down. Plus they have lots of testing options that are very cheap.

Jamaica require either a PCR or LFT within 72 hours of outbound flight. Plus, you need to fill in the travel to Jamaica form which can be be done a week before travelling. The Jamaican website has all the info. The test has to be done in an authorised setting, so I have assumed this means we cannot do the at home LFT and drop off at a TUI store (this would have cost £10 each). I have booked up Express Tests at Gatwick North terminal for the night before as we are staying at a hotel anyway. The LFT will take 30 mins to come through, so could be done on the day of the flight. This is £35 per person.

To come home we need to take LFTs in our suitcases and do these within 72 hours before flying home. Then we will need to do the day 2 PCR tests and send those off. I have booked this package through Chronomics, via the TUI website. This cost £20 per person.

Therefore, the 3 tests we require has cost us £55 per person. Perhaps the first LFT could have been cheaper, but I went for the convenience of doing them at LGW.

I'm now keeping everything crossed that:
* none of us catch covid in the next 9 days
* we don't get a false positive on the LFTs at LGW
* Jamaica don't change their minds and not let us Brits in
* our Government don't change Jamaica to the red list
* none of us get pinged to isolate, DH is stubbornly refusing to delete the stupid app as he feels it is his 'civic duty' for goodness sake I married a man with morals

Other than those few minor things I think we're fine to go

We will be flying on 27th July for 2 weeks and I can't wait.

Good luck with your planning. I hope you find a fun trip to go on this summer.

Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 21, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Hi

We booked through TUI, extra leg room flights, hotel, coach transfers, all inclusive food and drink £5k for the four of us, kids are 16 and 14. Oh and the hotel we went for was Riu Negril so we have 2 rooms, meaning we can spread out and not have to share bathrooms. Seemed too good a deal to turn down. Plus they have lots of testing options that are very cheap.

Jamaica require either a PCR or LFT within 72 hours of outbound flight. Plus, you need to fill in the travel to Jamaica form which can be be done a week before travelling. The Jamaican website has all the info. The test has to be done in an authorised setting, so I have assumed this means we cannot do the at home LFT and drop off at a TUI store (this would have cost £10 each). I have booked up Express Tests at Gatwick North terminal for the night before as we are staying at a hotel anyway. The LFT will take 30 mins to come through, so could be done on the day of the flight. This is £35 per person.

To come home we need to take LFTs in our suitcases and do these within 72 hours before flying home. Then we will need to do the day 2 PCR tests and send those off. I have booked this package through Chronomics, via the TUI website. This cost £20 per person.

Therefore, the 3 tests we require has cost us £55 per person. Perhaps the first LFT could have been cheaper, but I went for the convenience of doing them at LGW.

I'm now keeping everything crossed that:
* none of us catch covid in the next 9 days
* we don't get a false positive on the LFTs at LGW
* Jamaica don't change their minds and not let us Brits in
* our Government don't change Jamaica to the red list
* none of us get pinged to isolate, DH is stubbornly refusing to delete the stupid app as he feels it is his 'civic duty' for goodness sake I married a man with morals

Other than those few minor things I think we're fine to go

We will be flying on 27th July for 2 weeks and I can't wait.

Good luck with your planning. I hope you find a fun trip to go on this summer.
I wish I'd seen that about testing at airport, we are going to an official place 72 hours before for £78 each. 😱

We are staying at Royalton Negril. Hopefully. If we get there.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 21, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Fingers crossed nothing gets in the way of the plans...I can already taste the cocktails!
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 21, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
yellowrose78
VIP Dibber

yellowrose78's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
We have only been in Jamaica for a day when we stopped on a cruise in 2019, we did the Bobsled and Dunns River Falls, both were amazing. I'm not sure where they are in relation to where you are staying, but I'd definitely recommend. Have a great holiday

Movieland Hotel IDrive - 2002 / POR - 2012 / 3 Weeks at OKW - 2014 / Villa at Highlands Reserve - 2016 / New York and Orlando - 2018 / Caribbean Cruise MSC Seaside - June 2019 / Orlando Covid cancelled 2020 and 2021 / Planning for Orlando 2024
yellowrose78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 21, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
I wish I'd seen that about testing at airport, we are going to an official place 72 hours before for £78 each. 😱

We are staying at Royalton Negril. Hopefully. If we get there.
Royalton looks like a fantastic hotel. I was tempted by that one. Hope we both get some fun in the sun with our families. My mum and dad are coming along too.

Old 18 Jul 21, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
Fingers crossed nothing gets in the way of the plans...I can already taste the cocktails!
me too. I'm going to be really careful at school for the next 5 days and keep away from all the kids. Definitely don't want to catch covid from one of them.

Max and Kate broke up on Friday. I was thinking they could stay home for the next week and avoid people so they don't catch covid. But in the end I didn't have the heart to make them stop in. Max spent all of yesterday out and then stayed over at a friend's, he's now at work...they've missed out on having fun with friends for such a long time I can't make them stay home for the next week.

Old 18 Jul 21, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by yellowrose78 View Post
We have only been in Jamaica for a day when we stopped on a cruise in 2019, we did the Bobsled and Dunns River Falls, both were amazing. I'm not sure where they are in relation to where you are staying, but I'd definitely recommend. Have a great holiday
I'll look them up now