Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 25 Jul 21, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Caribbean experts - why is Jamaica aways so much cheaper than the others?

I've never had any interest in going to the Caribbean, preferring to go East instead so have never looked into it. With such limited options in October we're potentially looking at it as one of our many back up plans.

Why does Jamaica come up so much less than all the other islands, is there something about it I need to know about?

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 21, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

I have been to most Caribbean islands, Jamaica is my least favorite, by far the least sophisticated and IMO the least safe.

It would never be my choice if I was going to the Caribbean though I know its some people's favorite
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 21, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneySarah
Apprentice Imagineer

DisneySarah's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I think some of it is reputation and ease of accessibility; some islands have a more ‘exclusive’ image, which probably comes from how safe they are regarded as being, even though the resorts aren’t necessarily more luxurious (although I haven’t been to Jamaica, so I can’t comment on the resorts).

Also, in my experience, the Dominican Republic, Jamaica and the Bahamas, plus a few others, get a lot of low cost short haul flights from the US and tend to be cheaper, whereas Barbados, Antigua etc have more British tourists on long haul flights and tend to be more expensive. Jamaica and the Dominican have more of the massive Spanish run all inclusive resorts, which are usually cheaper too. That is a bit of a generalisation though.

Edited at 02:40 PM.
DisneySarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 21, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
I have been to most Caribbean islands, Jamaica is my least favorite, by far the least sophisticated and IMO the least safe.

It would never be my choice if I was going to the Caribbean though I know its some people's favorite
Munmun would you mind awfully expanding a bit? I think you used to live on one of the islands (not Jamaica) though I might have made that up.

By sophisticated do you mean shopping, dining, entertainment are a bit lacking or something else?

And safety?

We have visited the Caribbean quite a few times but only day trips on cruises, so we have a benchmark of Nassau (felt safe) Cozumel (felt safe) and a few others.
Old 25 Jul 21, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Munmun would you mind awfully expanding a bit? I think you used to live on one of the islands (not Jamaica) though I might have made that up.

By sophisticated do you mean shopping, dining, entertainment are a bit lacking or something else?

And safety?

We have visited the Caribbean quite a few times but only day trips on cruises, so we have a benchmark of Nassau (felt safe) Cozumel (felt safe) and a few others.
Please note this is my opinion I am happy if others opinion differ.

Jamaica is one of the only islands I have felt unsafe but it you are in a 4 start hotel compound I'm sure you will feel fine. The murder rate in Jamaica has fallen over recent years but is still high. I have had many Jamaicans work for me in Antigua and most have said they feel safer in Antigua.

Jamaica is a big island with a big population it attracts more mass market lower cost tourism but I acknowledge many people love it I simply don't.

We had a home in Antigua and its a friendly island but the residents are quite reserved and often seem less friendly than other island but they are just not overpowering friendly as a nation. I have always felt safe in Antigua but I have known someone held up at gunpoint. Many people seem to lose all sense of understanding when in the Caribbean on holiday, you need your witts about you.

I love the small islands Anguilla or Nevis. St Martin is an interesting mix of Dutch and French. I like Grenada a lot and my daughter got married on the beach at Spice Island in Grenada, Grand Anse is a wonderful beach. Dominica which is really not touristy has wonderful hiking and fresh food.

By sophisticated this may seem snobbish but I mean the quality and type of the clientel. This is a bit about mass tourism to the larger islands and the atmosphere it creates.

I have no objection to cruise ships but you don't get the proper feel of a place when 4000 people depend on small island for a few hours. In Antigua you can get 6 cruise ships in one day that could mean 20,000 people on an island with a total population of less than 100,000 you will never get the proper island feel and beaches than would normally bee deserted become swamped.

Just my opinions based on my likes!
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 21, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
GillyD
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
Please note this is my opinion I am happy if others opinion differ.

Jamaica is one of the only islands I have felt unsafe but it you are in a 4 start hotel compound I'm sure you will feel fine. The murder rate in Jamaica has fallen over recent years but is still high. I have had many Jamaicans work for me in Antigua and most have said they feel safer in Antigua.

Jamaica is a big island with a big population it attracts more mass market lower cost tourism but I acknowledge many people love it I simply don't.

We had a home in Antigua and its a friendly island but the residents are quite reserved and often seem less friendly than other island but they are just not overpowering friendly as a nation. I have always felt safe in Antigua but I have known someone held up at gunpoint. Many people seem to lose all sense of understanding when in the Caribbean on holiday, you need your witts about you.

I love the small islands Anguilla or Nevis. St Martin is an interesting mix of Dutch and French. I like Grenada a lot and my daughter got married on the beach at Spice Island in Grenada, Grand Anse is a wonderful beach. Dominica which is really not touristy has wonderful hiking and fresh food.

By sophisticated this may seem snobbish but I mean the quality and type of the clientel. This is a bit about mass tourism to the larger islands and the atmosphere it creates.

I have no objection to cruise ships but you don't get the proper feel of a place when 4000 people depend on small island for a few hours. In Antigua you can get 6 cruise ships in one day that could mean 20,000 people on an island with a total population of less than 100,000 you will never get the proper island feel and beaches than would normally bee deserted become swamped.

Just my opinions based on my likes!
Totally agree with your recommendation for Grenada - I went for a girls holiday with one of my work colleagues and we too stayed at the Spice Island resort. Locals were extremely friendly and we felt very safe there, even hiring a car and driving through the rainforest to the other side of the island and stopping en-route at a rum factory and a chocolate factory. Food is excellent as is the rum punch and you may spot a celebrity of two on Grand Anse. Nevis is another favourite. We stayed at the Four Seasons where you can snorkel on the reef directly in front of the hotel and they send a boat to collect you from St Kitts which brings you to their own dock. Again we felt very safe here and walked into town alone and also went out for dinner to local restaurants on the side of the volcano. Neither of these islands is cheap but I much prefer to be free to explore outside of the hotel than be in an all inclusive resort where it isn't safe to leave just to save a few pounds. If you do your research you can get bargains during their low season (July) and the hotels are much quieter during this time as well.
GillyD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 21, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Really useful info, thank you all

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 21, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Thank you munmun
Old 26 Jul 21, 07:19 AM  
Link to this Post
jdybnsn
Imagineer

I have to agree having rented villas on ten different Caribbean Islands we have found that those that were originally Spanish/ French ruled have seemed to have much more of an "edge" and felt much less safe that those that have a more British heritage.

I wonder (just my opinion) if it is part a difference how they were originally policed (ie whether British tradition & laws - especially gun law ) and also possibly the levels of underlying poverty on these islands ?

The more "British" islands like Barbados, Bermuda (though not technically in the Caribbean as its further North and seasonal) and Grand Cayman are practically no different than being in the UK (not to say there is no crime though) but somewhat lacking in Caribbean culture. These are three island that I would NOT worry too much about walking out at night, nor worry about to staying on an ungated property.

Followed closely by Grenada and St Vincent.

A little more edge in places, but not feeling "unsafe" as such, I would put St Lucia, Tobago and Antigua, where I probably would prefer to stay gated property for peace of mind. Have hired a car in all three but have avoided certain areas of these islands - just to be on the safe side

Finally Dominican Republic and Jamaica - definitely stay on a gated property, car journeys that would not take us anywhere off the beaten track (just largely to the supermarket and main well populated tourist spots). Definitely not drive at night, Avoid the Police (who may stop you to illicit a bribe from you !) and definitely employ an official tourist guide for sight seeing.

All lovely places to visit - with plenty to see & do though !

**GOLD CASTAWAY CAY MEMBERS !**Feb2002- I Drive Feb2004- PORS Feb2006 -Regal Palms/4 Night Disney Wonder Feb2008- Reunion /Disney Magic Western/Omni@CG Feb2010 - Reunion/Disney Magic Eastern/Hammock Beach PalmCoast July2010- Disney Magic 8 Night Dover-Barcelona July2011 Disney Magic10 Night Med.Feb2012-Anna Maria Island/Disney Dream X2/Hyatt GC. May 2014 Disney Fantasy Eastern

Edited at 02:16 PM.
jdybnsn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 21, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Oh well I don't regard over 2k per person cheap so hopefully Jamaica will be sophisticated enough for my humble needs. 😂

And I would never go on anything except an official tour, I'm not very brave or adventurous.

Edited at 09:00 AM.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List