Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 3 Jun 20, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by MillyMoo View Post
Well I'm sad now, there goes my dream! 😭😂
I hope I don't make things even worse

I've had the fortune of working in different countries (for varing amounts of time) and there is a world of difference between going somewhere on holiday, working there and living there. I love going to FL but there is no way I would want to live there. Not sure I could like with the summers etc.

I know of some brits that spend half the year in FL (our winters) and then half the year back here (our spring summers). I believe (but may be wrong) you need a B1 visa for this. Obviously this requires you to have a presence both in the USA and UK so you can come "home".

All I am saying is think about it very carefully
Old 3 Jun 20, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Goosey-Lucy
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by mick View Post
I promised Donna that it would be our little secret but I guess it will be discovered soon . There were serious roadworks at the FSR junction with Entry Pont Bvd last November, They are now complete and you can now get from the lights at Legacy/27 to the lights at new Walmart on Old Lake Wilson without any lights in between. Thus avoiding 192.

You can also turn left off FSR to EPB and go the lights for Sherberth

Mick
Ah that’s good to know! When we went May 2018 it was at dirt track stage and it was very fun to drive down and then in September it was obviously closed and we were gutted to not have a little drive down there. So fingers crossed for our May 2021 trip so I can say hello to it haha!
Goosey-Lucy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
MOUSEMARSH
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
I hope I don't make things even worse

I've had the fortune of working in different countries (for varing amounts of time) and there is a world of difference between going somewhere on holiday, working there and living there. I love going to FL but there is no way I would want to live there. Not sure I could like with the summers etc.

I know of some brits that spend half the year in FL (our winters) and then half the year back here (our spring summers). I believe (but may be wrong) you need a B1 visa for this. Obviously this requires you to have a presence both in the USA and UK so you can come "home".

Me and DW have this conversation everytime we go about how lovely it would be. The old saying of Grass may be Greener but it still needs mowing! Comes into play. We then settle on if we win the lottery😁

If I added it all up I probably could have bought a 4 Bed Detached House
MOUSEMARSH is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Goosey-Lucy View Post
Ah that’s good to know! When we went May 2018 it was at dirt track stage and it was very fun to drive down and then in September it was obviously closed and we were gutted to not have a little drive down there. So fingers crossed for our May 2021 trip so I can say hello to it haha!
The first few hundred yards of FSR from Formosa Gardens Bvd was surfaced a couple of years ago but the long stretch in front of the new Westgate development was still 75% potholes and probably contravened car hire T&Cs about driving on unmade roads. Then driving last Nov in the area we saw some large civil engineering plant at the end of FSR near EPB.

The good thing is access to that famous short cut Sherberth. Approaching from the 192 eastbound the slip road was often backed up on the 192 dangerously into lane 3. Approaching from EPB and going straight over the lights will be much easier especially for people staying in Formosa Gardens, Sunset Lakes, Emerald Island areas

Mick
Old 3 Jun 20, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
MillyMoo
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
Aww don't worry it won't happen anyway, dh is making sure of that!
MillyMoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
JanetteP
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
I promised Donna that it would be our little secret but I guess it will be discovered soon . There were serious roadworks at the FSR junction with Entry Pont Bvd last November, They are now complete and you can now get from the lights at Legacy/27 to the lights at new Walmart on Old Lake Wilson without any lights in between. Thus avoiding 192.

You can also turn left off FSR to EPB and go the lights for Sherberth

Mick
That's a great tip Mick. Do you go down Florence Villa Grove Road and Westside from the 27? I've always gone up Formosa Gardens Boulevard to the 192, and then had the horrible left turn onto Sherbeth Road. I didn't go as far as EPB as I thought the road was too bad.

Janette
Dreamy Corner June 23, Potter’s Villa May 22, Shamu Villa Sep 22,AKL, HRH Lakeside Haven Sep 19, Lakeside Haven RPR May 19. White Blossom & Viburnum Villa Aug 18. SSR, Aurora Villa May 18. Kidani, RPR Champion Florida Villa 17, Staybridge Suites, White Blossom & Owens Villa 16 OKW, Champion Florida Villa & RPR 16, Magic Landings 15, Grand Reserve & HRH 2014, Tuscan Pines 12, Highgrove 09, Legacy Park 07, Indian Point 06 and 05, Florida Pines 04
Graduation Trip 2019
+ Trip Report 2018
JanetteP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
cybermum
Imagineer

cybermum's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
I also have lived in various countries and reality day to day is not how the easy go holiday is , and am sure you know that anyway but yes we used to want to live there.
I wouldn't want to now though, we spend up to three months there each year and we far prefer the fun of the USA without the insane health care costs and the cost of living that a resident entails.
cybermum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by JanetteP View Post
That's a great tip Mick. Do you go down Florence Villa Grove Road and Westside from the 27? I've always gone up Formosa Gardens Boulevard to the 192, and then had the horrible left turn onto Sherbeth Road. I didn't go as far as EPB as I thought the road was too bad.
Sorry I missed this - out shopping.

We've stayed at Highgate Park our last 12 or so trips and although we don't go the parks now we do visit DS a couple of times.

So yes straight over the lights from Legacy Bvd on to FVGR and left at the school to WB. Right on to FSR all the way to FGB. As you say the left turn into SR can be horrendous but if you can stay on FSR until EPB it should be easier to go straight over the 192.

Here's another tip if the left turn off 192 into SR is looking really bad. Turn right off 192 on to the service road in front of Golden Corral. Through the gas station forecourt and join EPB there

Mick

PS The junction Westside/FSR is now a four way. I didn't like turning south from FSR to WB at night

Edited at 02:44 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

FSR only goes through to Old Lake Wilson if you want to turn right towards Walmart. You have to turn left at Morgan William's Rd if you want to go East on 192.

Edited at 02:34 AM. Reason: Left and right mixed up!
DonnaD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
FSR only goes through to Old Lake Wilson if you want to turn left towards Walmart. You have to turn left at Morgan William's Rd if you want to go East on 192.
That Walmart continues to challenge me when parking there and making sure I pick the right lights to leave if I want to get back to Livingstone.

I'll stick to Cagan Crossings which is nearer anyway

Mick