Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 6 Jun 20, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJo88
VIP Dibber

Back problems

For anyone else who suffers with back problems, what have you found helps?

Once or twice a year my lower back will give out, leaving me in terrible pain and unable to move unless very gingerly! Anyway, it went again yesterday and I don’t know what best to do to get comfortable/mobile. I can’t take Ibuprofen as it upsets my stomach, what else would you recommend?

I had a physio appointment last time it happened, and was just prescribed a few strengthening exercises, which I do, but that’s supposed to be preventative, obviously no good once my back has gone!

I’ve got an ice pack on it just now, and I know to try and keep mobile as much as possible but it’s just so painful and seems very risky!

Thankfully I have an online physio appointment on Tuesday for something unrelated so will talk about it then, but Tuesday seems such a long time away right now!

Thanks in advance
JoJo88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 20, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by JoJo88 View Post
For anyone else who suffers with back problems, what have you found helps?
After taking the usual advice to seek professional help I found what worked for me was to try to work out what was causing my problem.

Swapping to an automatic car helped, as did changing to a Volvo for seats that suited me, and replacing my office chair to a Herman Miller.
Haven't had any problems since.

Good luck.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 20, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJo88
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Pino_Spetzberg View Post
After taking the usual advice to seek professional help I found what worked for me was to try to work out what was causing my problem.

Swapping to an automatic car helped, as did changing to a Volvo for seats that suited me, and replacing my office chair to a Herman Miller.
Haven't had any problems since.

Good luck.
Thank you. I tried asking the professionals what they thought the cause might be but I received very vague answers. I also wanted to know what was actually going on, be it a slipped disc or whatever but apparently exercises are the answer no matter what 🙄. Could well be the office chair.

Thanks again
JoJo88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 20, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

I have both lower back problems and am in the middle of resolving a pinched nerve in my neck.
My physio is a magician and fixes it (and other problems) each time either one flares up.
There seems to be a world of difference between good and not so good physios. Mine used to be part of the physio teams for one of our six nations rugby teams in the past.

So to me, a good physio is the way to go. If your existing physio isnt helping - move to a better one.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 20, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJo88
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
I have both lower back problems and am in the middle of resolving a pinched nerve in my neck.
My physio is a magician and fixes it (and other problems) each time either one flares up.
There seems to be a world of difference between good and not so good physios. Mine used to be part of the physio teams for one of our six nations rugby teams in the past.

So to me, a good physio is the way to go. If your existing physio isnt helping - move to a better one.
Thank you. I saw a NHS physio for one appointment 2 months after my back last went, so of course by then it had cleared up.

The physio I am seeing now is a private one and he’s done wonders for my shoulder, so I’m going to ask him about my back on Tuesday.

So would you see your physio when you had a flare up and he’d sort it there and then? And I’m assuming he hasn’t stopped the flare ups but reduces recovery time? What would you do for relief between it happening and seeing your physio? Really struggling to get comfortable or move (can’t stand straight and can’t weight beat in certain positions).
Old 6 Jun 20, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Thank you. I saw a NHS physio for one appointment 2 months after my back last went, so of course by then it had cleared up.

The physio I am seeing now is a private one and he’s done wonders for my shoulder, so I’m going to ask him about my back on Tuesday.

So would you see your physio when you had a flare up and he’d sort it there and then? And I’m assuming he hasn’t stopped the flare ups but reduces recovery time? What would you do for relief between it happening and seeing your physio? Really struggling to get comfortable or move (can’t stand straight and can’t weight beat in certain positions).
For me, I generally need a course of treatment and exercises.
I make an appointment as soon as I start to feel a problem coming on.
I have had knee problems - these have stopped being a problem at all.
My lower back stays good if I keep at the exercises to keep it stronger. When I stop, then I can get problems. So my fault entirely.
This might be similar to my pinched nerve - though not sure. I need to keep at the exercises and see what happens.

It seems that a lot of the problems are down to me - lack of exercise that allows the problems to occur.
So if I actually did what I was told - I think the problems would pretty much stop.
Pilates seems to be the best thing to help (especially with the back) so might start these when open again.

Edited at 01:14 PM.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 20, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Bowen therapy for me. Tried everything out there, all worked initially but Bowen has been the only one with longevity. 3 initial treatments. I now go 3-4 times a year for " maintenance". Was due to go middle of May to be "straightened" again - years of standing at patients bedside have caused a twist, after my treatment my legs and spine are in alignment again. Hopefully will be seeing my therapist soon.

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 20, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJo88
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Mary A View Post
Bowen therapy for me. Tried everything out there, all worked initially but Bowen has been the only one with longevity. 3 initial treatments. I now go 3-4 times a year for " maintenance". Was due to go middle of May to be "straightened" again - years of standing at patients bedside have caused a twist, after my treatment my legs and spine are in alignment again. Hopefully will be seeing my therapist soon.
Thank you, I’ll look into it
Old 6 Jun 20, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJo88
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
For me, I generally need a course of treatment and exercises.
I make an appointment as soon as I start to feel a problem coming on.
I have had knee problems - these have stopped being a problem at all.
My lower back stays good if I keep at the exercises to keep it stronger. When I stop, then I can get problems. So my fault entirely.
This might be similar to my pinched nerve - though not sure. I need to keep at the exercises and see what happens.

It seems that a lot of the problems are down to me - lack of exercise that allows the problems to occur.
So if I actually did what I was told - I think the problems would pretty much stop.
Pilates seems to be the best thing to help (especially with the back) so might start these when open again.
For me it’s sudden - yesterday I was going about my business and it just went, no warning at all. I’d done a work out a few hours before, all was fine! Now I can’t move!
Old 6 Jun 20, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

For me it’s sudden - yesterday I was going about my business and it just went, no warning at all. I’d done a work out a few hours before, all was fine! Now I can’t move!
For my lower back - it is usually sudden. But for my pinched nerve, I know its coming over a few weeks.

I wonder if I had been fitter earlier, would this have helped.