Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Jul 21, 07:25 AM  
Link to this Post
swiper
VIP Dibber

London accommodations (monthly)

Hi
My son is moving to London end of August
Other than spare room does anyone know of any other company’s that do HMO rentals.
He wants to be in zone 1-2.
Tia
swiper is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 21, 08:10 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I guess google is your friend. An old work mate owns a number of properties and a house converted into HMOs in Croydon and he only rents through the council as he says it was so much hassle when he went through agents, and the council guarantee to pay the rent and for any repairs if a tenant causes damage.

Zone 1 and 2 HMOs are going to be very pricey and often it’s much cheaper rent a 20-30 minute tube journey further out.

Good luck to your son.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 21, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

He may find that the organisation he is working for will have an internal bulletin board where employees advertise their spare rooms out but only to those working for same employer (sort of safer and often cheaper)
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 21, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
swiper
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
He may find that the organisation he is working for will have an internal bulletin board where employees advertise their spare rooms out but only to those working for same employer (sort of safer and often cheaper)
Hi
We just need to get him sorted for now- as I’m sure he will get something else once he actually gets started and meeting everyone.
I actually thought you might comment - with an idea!
( I hadn’t thought of folk he will be working )

Edited at 11:29 AM.
swiper is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 21, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Try Airbnb for longer term stays. Our daughter does this with her flat in Hackney now she’s moved in permanently to her partner’s house.

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 21, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post

When my son did this he found it was easier to get a long term let when he was actually in London, so rented an Airbnb slightly further out than he wanted for thr first few weeks and spend his time viewing flats. Moved to a formal flatshare at the end of that time. Zone 1&2 were what he was aiming for originally but so expensive. Then looked at the tube distance time map and got somewhere further out that took less time to get where he wanted to be.

It's a challenge higher rents v longer commute, lower rents but more expensive commute. Also look at late running busses / trains mapnif he is going to work anti social hours at all.

Good luck to him.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 21, 07:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Look carefully at the area I don’t know where you son needs to be but it can be quicker to get in from the outer zones with fast train services (Orpington Croydon etc) than far out of zone 2. Zone 1 will cost and arm and a leg.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 21, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by swiper View Post
Hi
My son is moving to London end of August
Other than spare room does anyone know of any other company’s that do HMO rentals.
He wants to be in zone 1-2.
Tia
The concept of zone 1-2 is a very blunt instrument to measure London houses on.

Depending on the line he lives on and the line he works on, it can often be quicker to live out in Zone 6 on the same line (so no changes) than live on the other side of London but technically all in the same zone.

Even for nightlife Zone 1&2 is not a great indicator, there are loads of ways to get in out of the centre, but accomodation there is very expensive and generally pretty poor in terms of quality

An extreme example a colleague lived in Camden, I lived in Rugby (near BHam) - I could get to the office in only 10 minutes more than they could. (cost a lot more though)
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List