Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 26 Jul 21, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
2littleboys
Imagineer

2littleboys's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Driving to Heathrow from Scotland

I am weighing up my options for next year and wondered if anyone had ever drove to Heathrow from Scotland or am I crazy for even considering it?

We are not far from the border and onto the M74 and wondered what the journey would be like if we did it the day before our flight and stayed overnight at Heathrow?
2littleboys is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 21, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I had flown up to Edinburgh for business some years ago but the flight back to S.Wales was late the next day. I drove it instead. 400 miles and a 7+ hour drive but I set off early and it was ok.

So it's certainly fine to do it but what about getting back? That would be lethal after a flight so you would have to get a 'day room' near LHR when landed.

What about the train?

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 21, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
2littleboys
Imagineer

2littleboys's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I had flown up to Edinburgh for business some years ago but the flight back to S.Wales was late the next day. I drove it instead. 400 miles and a 7+ hour drive but I set off early and it was ok.

So it's certainly fine to do it but what about getting back? That would be lethal after a flight so you would have to get a 'day room' near LHR when landed.

What about the train?
The train could be an option but we would probably be cheaper taking the indirect flight with BA than the train, rail fares are so expensive now.
2littleboys is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 21, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

DH drove my parents down once when their flight was cancelled. It was crazy. He picked them up at Edinburgh airport about 9pm and got them to Heathrow just in time for them to get checked in for their early flight to Venice. If you stayed over the night before I would do it. Not sure about the journey home though.
Old 26 Jul 21, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Holiday time
Serious Dibber

Haven’t driven from Scotland to Heathrow but have driven from central Scotland to Manchester and Mr T is right the drive home is a killer! If the price is right it is doable but agree a day room is required.
Holiday time is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 21, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
nquart
Very Serious Dibber

nquart's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I wouldn't even entertain it with kids.

The drive back would be my concern too, we are 2.5 hours from Heathrow and driving home after virtually no sleep on a night flight is scary enough. We won't even consider Heathrow anymore
nquart is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 21, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
frances01
slightly serious Dibber

We stay in SW Scotland and have done the Manchester flights many a time. The drive home is a killer especially if you didn't get a sleep on the flight back but it is my favourite route. I couldn't imagine an even longer flight. Also if you have kids too who are tired. Makes it a long drive. Lockerbie to Lindon on the train is ok but you would have to get across London. Personally I would fly down if going from Heathrow. Even having to drive up 2 hours or so to the Scottish airport I feel it is easiest when flying from London.
Sept 97 Orlando, Sept 98 Orlando, Sept 00 Orlando, Mar 03 Orlando, Feb 04 DLP, Apr 05 Orlando, Oct 06 Orlando, Oct 07 St Augustine/Orlando, Oct 08 Disney Eastern Caribbean Cruise/Orlando, Oct 09 Orlando, Oct 10 Orlando/Disney Western Caribbean Cruise, Oct 11 Orlando, Oct 13 Orlando. Oct 14 Orlando, Oct 15 Orlando/Keys, Jul 17 Orlando, Feb 22 Orlando, Jul 23 Orlando
frances01 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 21, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
steph206
VIP Dibber

Hi I'm from Scotland and used to work at Heathrow, so have driven this route plenty of times. I think fatigue wise it's starts to hit just after Birmingham, and then you get to Watford M40 area and it's hard going. If you can split the drive you will be fine. If you have kids then you're looking at prob 4 rest breaks.

I did it in just over 7 hours.
HONEYMOON 2016 - Oasis of the Seas / Orlando, Nov 2017, July 2018/2019, Dec 2022, July 2023
steph206 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 21, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
mexico07
VIP Dibber

Have you priced gla/London/mco this is our usual route and quite often the fair can be less than London direct , we have never considered the drive as we once went from Manchester and drive and the drive down was fine as you are all excited about your trip but after the flight home we were exhausted snd that drive was really hard and we don’t have young children either xxx
Check Edinburgh also as we find the price can vary xxx

Edited at 01:47 PM.
mexico07 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 21, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Moz
Imagineer

Moz's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Took me exactly 7 hours one time, leaving Heathrow area at 7pm... only a fuel stop and arrived in West Lothian at 2am.

Would not consider this after the flight back though...bad enough driving from Manchester back up here
What about flights down with BA to LHR?
Moz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List